Bombers @ Lions: Game Day Thread (07/21/17)

Noeller

Here we go! Late start for you folks out east...(9pm CST)......both teams hurting, but I'd say the Bombers are in bigger trouble, with a slipshod (at best) LB corps that they're hoping will hold together for 60 minutes tonight. I think we need to hope for Nichols to win a shootout.....

our LB core may be much maligned but our D-line is getting better week in and week out.  If they can put the pressure on Lulay and stuff the run, our LB core shouldn't be overly exposed.  Hopefully our offense can stay on the field plenty and let our defense ride the pine a fair bit this game..

or our secondary feasts on INTS and they don't stay on the field due to that, lol. *crosses fingers*

Travis Lulay is 4-4 vs. the Peg and Matt Nichols is 3-1 against the Lions. 

Matt Nichols needs 365 yards passing to reach 10,000...

• Dressler has failed to catch at least one pass only twice in his 140-game career (Jul 4/08 & Aug 31/08) and his current streak is 134 consecutive games with at least one reception. 

• The Bombers have totals of 96 and 91 yards rushing in their two wins this year, just 48 in their loss to Calgary. The Lions are #3 in the CFL at 92 rushing yards per game and that has been a big part of their 3-1 record. In the last three weeks across the CFL, the team with more rushing yards has lost just twice and is 9-2. 

• Jeremiah Johnson leads all players with 20+ attempts with a 6.0 yard average. He needs just 130 yards to reach 2,000 career and is the only CFL player to have a touchdown in every game this year for his team. 

• Bombers are #1 against the run..

From Ed Tait 

"I think Coach LaPo is the best game planner in the league in my opinion,” said Nichols. He’s the best coordinator I’ve played for up here and he does a good job of getting us ready. We had plays called that could have got us yardage last week and we blew a couple assignments here and there and those things snowball quickly, especially when you’re playing against a good offence that chewed up a lot of clock.

The Bomber's OLine was treated to "anything they wanted to eat" at 529 Wellington as a reward for 0 sacks against them..

IMG_0554.jpg

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

who picks up that tab I wonder... can't be cheap

I was just looking at the roster, one of the O lineman weighs 356 pounds. Maybe Travis Bond.

Theyre giants. Must easily be the biggest O line in Bomber history. and really, not fat guys like they used to be.

Here's to them bulldozing some big holes for A Harris.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

that bill probably could have fed a family of 7 for a month lol.  good question as to who paid for it.  I'd assume someone higher then the QB or coaches.. thats gonna be a pretty penny.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

In the Game Preview article on the Bombers' website, it says that O-Line Coach Marty Costello takes them out.  Not sure if he picks up the tab though... wouldn't surprise me if Nichols were to contribute.

Honestly BC is going to make plays on offense, there's just too many playmakers on that team for them not to, so it really is up to our own offense to stop screwing around and put some long drives together consistently and put up points. They can't score if they don't have the ball. 

I'm less concerned about Lulay's short game as opposed to the long bombs. As he showed in the last game Lulay still has a good touch on the ball for the 10-15 yard tosses and he has a very good set of receivers who are quick enough to break away. As cliche as it is, the Bomber offence has to keep Lulay off the field.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I'm less concerned about Lulay's short game as opposed to the long bombs. As he showed in the last game Lulay still has a good touch on the ball for the 10-15 yard tosses and he has a very good set of receivers who are quick enough to break away. As cliche as it is, the Bomber offence has to keep Lulay off the field.

If they are throwing deep that bodes well for our turnover count.  I'm more worried about Johnson and defending the slip screens they like to run against zone.

Put this in another thread, but also thought it worth mentioning here:

This is going to be a very tough game for the Bombers, but I wish them well, and am hoping they can keep it close.

It is hard for the Bombers in this one for 2 reasons:

First, BC has a mobile QB as well as excellent receivers. For decades, Bombers have never had the answer for a QB who can use his legs to open up the pass. Organizationally Bombers have some kind of a mental block to obtaining personnel and strategies to counter this. In the West Semi last year BC started to beat Wpg easily as soon as Jennings started to run on them. And the QB running really opens up that Khari offence because he understands very well the value of throwing down the field and stretching things out.

Second, the Bomber O does not have much confidence in their receiving corps and BC is very aggressive at shutting down the pass. Hopefully not, but if Bombers retract into that shell of not throwing more than 3 yards downfield all game, then it will be very difficult to beat the Lions, even if the defense holds the receivers and QB scrambling in check. Bombers have apparently not yet learned the value of throwing down the field and configured their team better to do so.

Could be a long night if both of those issues surface simultaneously, although this team is also more than capable personnel wise of not letting that happen. I'm very interested to see how well the DLine keeps the scrambling in check and if the Bombers can get any separation from the DBs down the field in this one...