Odds and Sods - West Semi- Bombers at BC

do or die

2nd play of game....Randell picks off Jennings
Blue cash in a Harris plunge, after some hard running
Lions drive down to the Blue 14.....
...but Leggett forces Jennings to fumble...Bass recovers..
Passes to Dressler and Adams...couple of BC penalties.....
...sets up Medlock FG......Bombers out of the gate - 11-0
Andrew Harris running like he wants to finish business....
Blue D vanishes...BC marches 75 yds for TD, in short order...
Blue pull double end-around fake....hits Dressler for 60 yds...
Next play. Nichols hits Smith on wide open post pattern 27 yd TD
Bombers throwing it down the field to Smith, in this one.
The play action is giving the Lions D some trouble...
...Nichols then rolls out and hits that Smith fella for 35 yd TD
...Smith making me eat something, with my gin, at this point.
BC 6 penalties - Blue 0....not sure how long that will last.....
Moe Leggett still making plays....so is Randle.....
25-6....looks good. But Bombers can't stand prosperity.....
Wild misses tackle on Rainey (along with 3 others) for big YAC
Wild then whiffs on Johnson's TD run....just like that.....
25-15. Not getting the pressure on Jennings...we had at start....
McDuffie not getting much room on kick returns......
Nichols bombs down the sideline to JFG.....sets up Medlock FG..
The ole even up process begins...Bombers take 3 penalties
...on BD drive to help set up Jennings TD run...
Loffler called for playing through the ball - and cold cocking Manny A.
Bomber D can't close the deal on 2nd down BC conversions....
BC challenges on long pass defended by Randle...they get it....
...which completely flips field position....
...but Lions get called for roughing the kicker...
...and passes to Smith and Denmark get them in position for Medlock.
31-19.....a few more stops on D....and things are looking good
Ok, things are not looking good.....Lions march right down the field.....
....Jennings hits Sinkfield for TD. 31-26 Bombers....D looks worn out.
Hoping for game saving turnover.....or else.
Next series....D playing way off receivers and not getting pressure....
Jennings breaks pocket...runs it 15 yds for the TD........BC 32-31.....
After McDuffie return...Nichols trots out with 58 sec left.....
2nd down pass knocked down......3rd and 4....gamble time...
Incredibly ....Medlock come out to attempt 61 yarder in dead air dome...
...which falls well short......game over.
Wonder how Nichols felt, when that call was made?
But this loss is not on him or Medlock....
... or even MOS.....tempting as that might be.....
..it falls right on this defense, which blew a 25-6 lead.....
Down the stretch...simply no rush, no cover, no tackling......
Looked like a Jim Daley D out there. Terrible.
This team made some strides...but still missing some pieces....
I have made some strides....but still missing some bottles....

Wow. Just wow. I think the blame gets spread around on this one like this:

#1 blame getter - the Defense. The gave us absolutely nothing...I mean NOTHING...when we needed 'em. No cover (HUGE cushions on those last drives), no pressure, piss poor tackling. 31 points should be enough to win..So they were def the primary contributors to this loss.

#2 blame getter - the Coach. Holy sh&%! Holy f*&^$# sh$#! In what universe does one have a better chance at hitting a 61-yard FG than converting on 3rd and 4? Bob Irving tried, somewhat half-heartedly, as is his wont, to defend the decision by saying if you miss on 3rd and 4 than you don't even get a chance at the FG. But that's just plain irrational. You gotta play the odds. Doug Brown understood this. This decision made 0 sense. When JM was trotting, I'm thinking...no hoping: "Well, guess MOS knows something I don't about Medlock kicking indoors or something".

Nope.

#3 blame getter - the Offense. Where'd they go in the second half? Outscored 20-6?! I mean, I know that 31 should be enough but when the other team is rallying and your D has been &*^%, you need to provide a spark. Six wasn't good enough...

But MOS call at end is definitely the walk away winner for sheer shocker value...

Offensive line is improved. Thought they played very well this year, lots of time for the QB, nice holes for Harris.

For some reason I'm looking forward to Calgary shredding BC.

Sorry the season ended so sourly, but thanks to those players and coaches for a year that had a lot of fun times.

And thanks a lot DOD for the odds n sods.

Can we use our first overall pick on a new coach? Seriously, worst call of the year... also fun fact, the longest FG in history was 62 yards but it was outdoors, presumably with the wind at the back of the kicker. In fact, the 4 longest field goals in CFL history were all kicked outdoors, in Saskatchewan (Taylor Field)

11 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Wow. Just wow. I think the blame gets spread around on this one like this:

#1 blame getter - the Defense. The gave us absolutely nothing...I mean NOTHING...when we needed 'em. No cover (HUGE cushions on those last drives), no pressure, piss poor tackling. 31 points should be enough to win..So they were def the primary contributors to this loss.

#2 blame getter - the Coach. Holy sh&%! Holy f*&^$# sh$#! In what universe does one have a better chance at hitting a 61-yard FG than converting on 3rd and 4? Bob Irving tried, somewhat half-heartedly, as is his wont, to defend the decision by saying if you miss on 3rd and 4 than you don't even get a chance at the FG. But that's just plain irrational. You gotta play the odds. Doug Brown understood this. This decision made 0 sense. When JM was trotting, I'm thinking...no hoping: "Well, guess MOS knows something I don't about Medlock kicking indoors or something".

Nope.

#3 blame getter - the Offense. Where'd they go in the second half? Outscored 20-6?! I mean, I know that 31 should be enough but when the other team is rallying and your D has been &*^%, you need to provide a spark. Six wasn't good enough...

But MOS call at end is definitely the walk away winner for sheer shocker value...

I wound't have worded it like this... but I agree and I was calling this a "team loss"... if the O gets a few more first downs in the second half maybe they score 3-7 more points, or at least kill more clock, that probably wins us the game... if the D gets one or two more stops they probably prevent one score, that probably wins us the game... if the ST set up the field position a little better it helps both O and D... and I disagreed with Mike's call at the end of the game...

Any way you look at it, to blame one single person or group for this loss is silly... it truly was a team effort... but I think it shows we are just a few pieces away from being great...

I'm going to blame O'Shea for the awful (AWFUL) call at the end to try the 61 yard field goal, but that's just about where it's going to end. It's not going to turn into me insisting he be fired or suggesting that it's a reason for us not to extend him. Because the O'Shea who made that call is also the same O'Shea that got our team so prepared to play a road playoff game that they came out firing on all cylinders, played penalty-free football and it goes on and on.

I can wholeheartedly say after a full season to look back at that Mike O'Shea is a great coach that made a terrible ****ing call - it wasn't a call I agreed with before or after the missed field goal, but you know what - he'll learn from it. Bring on 2017. First overall pick, we're on the clock. Good luck to BC going forward.

The odds of making a 61 yard field goal were no better than getting a first down on a 3 and 4 situation. Costly lesson but it is what it is.

Good luck to the Lions Next week. At least we'll have lost to a team that is going to the Grey Cup Western finals. 

Edited by LeBird
Not Grey Cup, Grey Cup finals

Derek Taylor tweeted that teams on 3rd and 4 had a success rate of 3/12. 25 percent. Either way it was a tough spot to be in. 

I don't think Medlock has the leg for a 60 plus closer to 70 yard punt indoors with no wind. 

If the game was in Hamilton lol and we had the wind... maybe OT 

Edited by Goalie

6 minutes ago, LeBird said:

The odds of making a 61 yard field goal were no better than getting a first down on a 3 and 4 situation. Costly lesson but it is what it is.

Good luck to the Lions Next week. At least we'll have lost to a team that is going to the Grey Cup. 

Not only were they no better, they were an order of magnitude worse.

the bottom line is that if the defense gets any kind of stop in the back half of the game and doesn't let the Lions march back to take the lead then we're not sitting here talking about a lose-lose decision at the end of the game. Would have liked to see the offense keep running up the score more in the 2nd half as well, but Hall and Lapo did what they do best, get conservative and piss the game away. I like O'Shea, he had that team coming out of the gates on fire but our coordinators and their passive approach to the game sewered those efforts. 

Nope. Can't put any blame on LaPo on this one. It was a variant offence that had running and passing and kept the BC defence guessing. It suited Nichols and he operated it really well. As to stopping our offence, we'll, BC has a defence too. They made a lot of plays to stop even bigger gains.

Which brings us to Hall, and our defence. I found we weren't ready for their running, but we did adjust. We handled most of what they threw at us. But the one thing that did kill us was the broken plays. That, combined with very poor tackling, was our undoing. 

The game was what it was, a very close 1 point game. Either team could have won that game, without question.

It leaves us out of the playoffs, but as a top 3-4 team, not as a bottom tier team. You cannot convince me, after watching this team, this year, that we could not have won it all. 

Next year, new pieces, new contracts, and we'll be even more ready..

19 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Nope. Can't put any blame on LaPo on this one. It was a variant offence that had running and passing and kept the BC defence guessing. It suited Nichols and he operated it really well. As to stopping our offence, we'll, BC has a defence too. They made a lot of plays to stop even bigger gains.

Which brings us to Hall, and our defence. I found we weren't ready for their running, but we did adjust. We handled most of what they threw at us. But the one thing that did kill us was the broken plays. That, combined with very poor tackling, was our undoing. 

The game was what it was, a very close 1 point game. Either team could have won that game, without question.

It leaves us out of the playoffs, but as a top 3-4 team, not as a bottom tier team. You cannot convince me, after watching this team, this year, that we could not have won it all. 

Next year, new pieces, new contracts, and we'll be even more ready..

we only got 6 points in the 2nd half, I gave him praise during the game at one point but facts are facts, the offense and the defense both didn't keep up the pressure and I for one blame our coordinators well known tendencies to play it safe when up. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

we only got 6 points in the 2nd half, I gave him praise during the game at one point but facts are facts, the offense and the defense both didn't keep up the pressure and I for one blame our coordinators well known tendencies to play it safe when up. 

As we made adjustments for BC, so did their crew. 

Let's face it, we took what they gave us. I don't think we shrunk into a shrink-wrap offence. We did complete a couple of passes in each the last two quarters of over 40 yards. One to Gudino, the other to Denmark. 

And I distinctly remember at least twice where, if not for a tackle by a BC defender, we would have gotten way more yardage. But there are plays out that to be made - by both teams. 

By the same token, you could say BC played a softer second half game also, the major difference being - they executed, we didn't. Especially tackling.

The game was exactly what it turned out to be  - close, and we didn't execute when we had the last chance. 

Hey, one more completion, and nobody's talking about playing it safe.