Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

The first time the team has had depth MOS is killing it as a coach, not a coincidence. Both of Walters and O'Shea have stepped up this season and you can see the plan coming together. We got depth seemingly everywhere on the roster now and where as in years past injuries would have crippled this team, now we really can just go next man up and not expect a significant drop off in play. 

When we hired O'Shea, we weren't hiring him because he was the best candidate to do the job the moment he took over. He wasn't going to be a candidate that produced immediate results. He was viewed as a guy who had all the makings of a great head coach, provided he was given the opportunity to learn and grow into the role in an environment that wasn't too volatile to afford him some patience.

The entire plan when we hired him was to stick to the script and be patient.

We've done that.

Why would we EVER consider starting over now?

I have liked a lot of what O Shea has done here. He has been patient, he is good with the fans and media, is respected by his players, has shown competency in the specual teams and by surrounding himself with experienced coaches. I believe he deserves an extension, regardless of whether we win a playoff game or not - if we go 3 -3 the rest of the way we end up 11-7 (very good record any way you slice it). My only significant criticism of O Shea was when he first came to Winnipeg and soon declared Willy his #1 (before training camp). O Shea may be too loyal to some players, but hopefully he is learning from past mistakes. 

Walters on the other hand - extend him and the scouting department...NOW!

5 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

1-5 or worse, I expect 2-4 and I'm hoping for 3-3 to end the year.

i hate this. I expect us to go out and compete every game, if our guys go out and compete every game we should be 6-0 to finish. Calgary is still better on paper but if our guys don't believe they can win each week they shouldn't be out there.

How is there even a debate about this? O'Shea and Walters have developed into exactly the kind of guys we expected when we hired them. Look at the dumpster fires raging in Regina and Montreal, have you all forgot that was us very recently. The stink of Burke, Mack, Butchko, and company has been shaken from the team, why look back.

As important as the winning is, it's the culture change that's most important to me. Obviously we're not within the walls, but the things we've all read about how the club is operating now, and the respect it's generating from players, agents and management from both leagues, is a really big deal. The WBB FC name was so tarnished before, there's been a LOT of polishing done to get it where it is now. Only a championship will bring it all the way back, but it sure feels like we're at least on the way now...

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Was just looking at 2001 12 game win streak man did they play in a lot of close ball games. Only 3 were decided by more than 7 points. 6 were decided by 4 or less points. That year the four losses were all by less than 7 points.

Yeah we did. Lots of narrow last second victories. 

15 hours ago, Rich said:

For those not wanting to extend O'Shea, what would have to happen between now and the end of the season for you to NOT want to extend him?

15 hours ago, Mike said:

Why would we EVER consider starting over now?

I agree with you @Mike ... but to answer @Rich's question... losing the last six games and getting blown out in the playoffs would make me second guess... that would prove we have the talent but not the coaching...

That being said, I have absolute confidence that will not happen... I expect this team to win 3 or 4 more games and be in a fight with BC for 2nd til the end... I legitimately think this team is for real and am looking forward to (desperately hoping for?) sustained success beyond this season...

16 hours ago, Rich said:

For those not wanting to extend O'Shea, what would have to happen between now and the end of the season for you to NOT want to extend him?

2 or less wins in the last 6 games.

Showing we can't beat the +.500 teams.

1 and done in the playoffs.

If we collapse we don't want to have a head coach with a shiny brand new, more expensive, guaranteed contract. 

Extending O'Shea in the middle of his second win streak in 2.75 years when we are going into the toughest part of our schedule is the same thinking that the Bombers used when they extended Willy, gave him a big contract, after having a great 6 games back in 2014.

15 hours ago, LeBird said:

Short memories.

Short memories is right. Most folks around here can't remember past the last 7 games. We were 1-4 after going 5-13 in 2015 after going 7-11 in 2013. We hadn't even won 2 games in a row for more than a year, let alone had a winning streak. 

BTW: What's the downside to waiting to see how the season ends before giving O'Shea a new contract?

Edited by TBURGESS
BTW

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

BTW: What's the downside to waiting to see how the season ends before giving O'Shea a new contract?

Since this theme has come up in multiple posts, I feel it should be noted that the original tweet only said that they have begun discussions.

As in, with a month and a bit left till the regular season ends, "waiting to see how the season ends" seems to be the likely outcome of the timeline anyways, whether or not it is done with that intent.

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Short memories is right. Most folks around here can't remember past the last 7 games. We were 1-4 after going 5-13 in 2015 after going 7-11 in 2013. We hadn't even won 2 games in a row for more than a year, let alone had a winning streak. 

Who says they aren't?  People are posting like they're getting ready to announce extensions tomorrow but the original tweet says that the talks are exploratory and very preliminary.  To me, that means they are still a long way from hammering out a deal and a lot could change by the end of the year.

I've never been a huge fan of Madani.  He's been tough on the team since he was let go years ago as the WBB's PR guy.   But in most cases it's been warranted as the team was pretty bad.     

I've noticed over the past couple of years that his tone has changed and he's worked hard at becoming a serious journalist.   

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Interesting article on O'Shea on 3Downnation:

http://3downnation.com/2016/09/20/mike-oshea-saved-bombers-season/

There's a lot of great stuff in that article.  To me its value comes from the writer existing outside our fishbowl.

And the Belli comment " Osh, when the lights came on, he looked arthritic, but would rip your tongue out. ", now that's just gold.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

2 or less wins in the last 6 games.

Showing we can't beat the +.500 teams.

1 and done in the playoffs.

If we collapse we don't want to have a head coach with a shiny brand new, more expensive, guaranteed contract. 

Extending O'Shea in the middle of his second win streak in 2.75 years when we are going into the toughest part of our schedule is the same thinking that the Bombers used when they extended Willy, gave him a big contract, after having a great 6 games back in 2014.

I'm curious, if we don't win a playoff game, you still let O'Shea walk?  Or is it a combination of some of those things?

If you would have asked me at the beginning of the season what would it have taken to get an extension, my answer would have been making the playoffs.