Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Holy crap! Not one of you guys has even mentioned Richie Hall. I mean, the D is what is carrying this team and is responsible for it's success, but everyone wants to heap the praise on O'Shea? I find that somewhat bizarre. Lapo has been Lapo and the offense shows it. Walters has done well upgrading the talent level on this team and improving some of the depth but I did not like the Willy trade for reasons I've already elaborated on and I remain concerned with our QB depth. We've also had some very fortunate turns of events with key injuries and such to other teams. We haven't had to play Ray or Collaros, the Als are in disarray, and we got 2 games against easily the worst team in the league and barely got by those games. Sure wins are wins are I'm as happy as anyone to take them but lets not get carried away here. Let's see how we do against Calgary, Edm, BC, and the RBs. When I see O'Shea outcoaching those coaches, and Nichols outplaying BLM, Reilly, Jennings/Lulay and Burris/Harris then I'll get excited. 

They beat a Reilly led Edmonton and Nichols did out perform Reilly that day in the most important way... No picks. Reilly and co just lost to that very same team we "barely beat". Calgary needed OT to beat them once. Not many teams have played Ray in the last few years. Calgary's streak has included close wins too so why be harder on Winnipeg for close wins? It is damn important to get those as much as a 27 point blasting like they gave TO. 

I agree we should not get carried away or ignore how the entire coaching staff has done a very good job of turning the boat around, but there is really no harm in planning ahead should they finish the season well this year. They should absolutely wait until near the end of the season to ink them but talking is beneficial. Much more so than having a great year topped by missing the bus on signing them.

get your trepidation but man you really have to learn to just enjoy the winning while it is happening. We don't get the chance very often. 

2 hours ago, J5V said:

Holy crap! Not one of you guys has even mentioned Richie Hall. I mean, the D is what is carrying this team and is responsible for it's success, but everyone wants to heap the praise on O'Shea? I find that somewhat bizarre. Lapo has been Lapo and the offense shows it. Walters has done well upgrading the talent level on this team and improving some of the depth but I did not like the Willy trade for reasons I've already elaborated on and I remain concerned with our QB depth. We've also had some very fortunate turns of events with key injuries and such to other teams. We haven't had to play Ray or Collaros, the Als are in disarray, and we got 2 games against easily the worst team in the league and barely got by those games. Sure wins are wins are I'm as happy as anyone to take them but lets not get carried away here. Let's see how we do against Calgary, Edm, BC, and the RBs. When I see O'Shea outcoaching those coaches, and Nichols outplaying BLM, Reilly, Jennings/Lulay and Burris/Harris then I'll get excited. 

1. The Riders have had close games against other teams

2. Nichols is playing better than Reilly, Burris and Harris. He's executing a conservative game plan, putting key drives together at the right time and not turning the ball over

3. Considering where this team was at - I don't believe you're not excited yet 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

For a fan on a mesageboard to say, with confidence, that MOS is leaving more-talented players off the roster in favour of less-talented ones, is laughably arrogant. 

Well, it did take some injuries to get some guys on the field like Bond, Loffler, Frederick, etc. Macho played well and Loffler is a rookie but still some pretty good players were riding the pine.

4 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

The win streak is 7 games. Only two other teams have 7 wins for the season. A win is a win. It's also hard to swallow using not playing Heath as an indictment of the coach when he's been on the team for less than a week

and weve had an extended win streak under mos before. Heath sure, you can argue that. But i listed a ton of other times. Denmark, bond, hardrick, frederick, foketi, green etc. 

4 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

only thing we need to do is beat the esks and get another win somewhere and were off to playoffs.

but why stop there chase the second spot to host a playoff game.

Yeah pretty much. I think the chances of us missing now are slim. And I think a cross over spot is more desirable then going through the west. But if we host a game, and rack up more wins im all in favor of it. Despite the win streak we still only pulled some 25k fans iirc against toronto. 

2 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

There are two ways to approach this sentence. First, that we need to shift credit to Richie Hall, or second, and this would be my preferred option - this coaching staff deserves a helluva lot of credit. That's Osh to coordinators to assistants.

Its because we have a ton of play makers on that D. Our scheme is far from dynamic or "sexy". Even the more casual fans see us playing overly soft and passive as our base. That type of D may be as viable as the aggressive swaggerville style but it doesnt win any fan fare. Im in the camp wishing we'd be more agressive, on D and offense but the D has certainly been successful and our offense has gotten enough to win. Weve scraped scores in games we've dominated in terms of play. But the coaching staff does deserve a great deal of acclaim for sticking to their guns and making it work. We will have to see if its sustainable. 

10 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Well, it did take some injuries to get some guys on the field like Bond, Loffler, Frederick, etc. Macho played well and Loffler is a rookie but still some pretty good players were riding the pine.

Bond was hurt, Loffler and Frederick rookie unknowns.......can't really fault him too much there. 

Well, I believe he's very green still....in most aspects of being a HC........so while I agree there's been a lot of mistakes made, I'm at least willing to chalk that up to inexperience. I'm a big believer that our biggest reason for turnaround this year is the 3 IMP OL, so I "fault" The Trinity for taking so long to realize that this would make a huge difference. Stubbornly sticking to Neufeld in there to try and force the ratio a certain way.....

At the start of the year like many I was hoping we could end up 9-9. With six games to go we have almost done that. I just can't figure out why some are not wanting to be very happy with what we would have killed for only a few months ago. And... it's not over. I think we have a legit chance at finishing 12-6. 

Walters has proven he could get the right players in and could trade well and MOS has shown he can coach those players to exceed. We are now in a position where we can take some serious injury problems without tanking. 

Color me Thankful to both.

On 9/18/2016 at 11:52 AM, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'd extend Walters in a heart beat. the guys been on fire this year, that Willy trade pretty much sealed the deal for me as far as how I perceived him as a GM the guy can draft well, and wheels and deals like a fox in the hen house. 

I would extend MOS but how the year plays out might be indicative of the length.  7 wins in a row is awesome, but can't ignore all the L's piled up over the years.  if we only end up 10-8 I'd go 2 years tops,  anything higher and a good playoffs then 3 years

Grey cup win, and Oshea never leaves.

36 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

That would go down In bomber folklore given how many ppl wanted him run out of town with a 1-4 record

I'm one of the folks who wanted MOS and Walters both run out of town. Not because the record was 1-4 but because it was 13-27 with signs of retrogression. Now it is 20-27 - creeping closer to .500 - but not quite there yet. Is the MOS-Walters overall better than Joe Mack yet? Someone will know. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The team has shown progress.. how can you not extend the guy?   If it were another losing season then for sure he should of been dumped. 

Which guy though. I don't disagree with you! I would like to see Walters for sure get an extension. O'shea I would like to wait until the season is over first before jumping to conclusions on that one. But at this point who is out there that would be a good available replacement for Mike?

9 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Which guy though. I don't disagree with you! I would like to see Walters for sure get an extension. O'shea I would like to wait until the season is over first before jumping to conclusions on that one. But at this point who is out there that would be a good available replacement for Mike?

Thorpe will be available soon lol.     

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

For those not wanting to extend O'Shea, what would have to happen between now and the end of the season for you to NOT want to extend him?

A team collapse with a series of blowout losses like we had the past two years. I don't see it happening, but weird things do happen.

1 minute ago, tracker said:

A team collapse with a series of blowout losses like we had the past two years. I don't see it happening, but weird things do happen.

Fair enough.  At this point I would expect us to go .500 the rest of the way.  Lose against Calgary.  Beat Edmonton.  Split with BC and Ottawa.

That would give us a record of 11 - 7.   12 - 6 would be fantastic, 10 - 8 would be "acceptable:.    Anything less would be disappointing at this point.