Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

Walters has certainly earned an extension, but O'Shea still has to make his bones. The first two years were such a mess and with so many personnel and strategy decisions that there is room for doubt.

I would think that letting him finish out the season and assessing things then would make sense.

You have to remember that when Miller took over the role of CEO, he wanted to change the culture of the Winnipeg Football Club. It is why he hired Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea. He saw in them the direction the Club could go to achieve success through patience, and good football people. It is also why you never heard that MOS was in danger of losing his job. To fans on the outside, we only saw the wins versus the losses. We didn't get to see the change IN the locker room. We are getting that glimpse now.

It was never going to be a 1 or 2 year fix. It's good not to have known that before. It's better now that we're winning, not for that sake alone, but also for the fact that more can be done while these guys are in charge.

It was easy to take potshots, especially at O'Shea, but he believed in what he and Kyle and Miller were doing, and it shows. Players with character and integrity.

Not always easy to see through the outer layers, and we're not there yet, but from what we're seeing now, they deserve more time. We can give them that. 

We deserve that too.

Edited by Mr Dee

7 games ago many around here (including yours truly) were ready to mop the floor with these guys. lol

Are they anywhere near .500 yet? Someone said Walters and MOS had a W-L record worse than Joe Mack.

Lets see how the club performs in the home stretch and playoffs before we do any more anointing around here.

Edited by Doublezero

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

You have to remember that when Miller took over the role of CEO, he wanted to change the culture of the Winnipeg Football Club. It is why he hired Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea. He saw in them the direction the Club could go to achieve success through patience, and good football people. It is also why you never heard that MOS was in danger of losing his job. To fans on the outside, we only saw the wins versus the losses. We didn't get to see the change IN the locker room. We are getting that glimpse now.

It was never going to be a 1 or 2 year fix. It's good not to have known that before. It's better now that we're winning, not for that sake alone, but also for the fact that more can be done while these guys are in charge.

It was easy to take potshots, especially at O'Shea, but he believed in what he and Kyle and Miller were doing, and it shows. Players with character and integrity.

Not always easy to see through the outer layers, and we're not there yet, but from what we're seeing now, they deserve more time. We can give them that. 

We deserve that too.

We also deserve to wait & see how the rest of the season plays out too. What's the hurry? The focus should be on making the playoffs now & worry about new contracts after the final whistle blows on the season. Not saying that MOS shouldn't get an extension but that we should wait.

Edited by iso_55

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I honestly don't understand how you couldn't see anything from O'Shea. He's not so quietly become one of the best head coaches in the CFL and that's no stretch.

He has his moments, but what coach doesn't? He's worlds different as a coach than he was two or three years ago. His players love playing for him. His team is among the most disciplined in the CFL. He uses challenges more effectively than almost any coach in the CFL. His understanding of how to play in specific situations has improved leaps and bounds. His roster management, which was my biggest knock on him in years past, has undergone a complete 180.

Dickenson is probably coach of the year but there's 0 chance O'Shea isn't a finalist.

hes certainly earned an extension but he is far from one of the best HCs in the league. He continues to put in inferior line ups with better players off the field, makes questionable decisions and hasnt had the team play more then a half to 3/4 of the game. The passive offensive system is clearly what he wants run. All players on teams with win streaks are in the love boat. Challenges call comes from the spotters in the booth, cant give him more then half the credit for that. Weve still missed some clear challenges this year too. Hes a bright young coach and if he can continue to slowly improve he may find him self in the top tier. But he is well out side of that now. The win streak is still predicated on turn overs and play makers. And we havent even had the best play makers on the field. Denmark, frederick, heath, the first half of the seasons OL, etc. 

weve had win streaks and flashes of turning the corner only to plummet back to sub mediocrity before under walters/oshea. The cart is a bit before the horse but not a lot. Imop, the talent walters has brought in has earned him another year or more easily. The team isnt as good as its win streak, but it clearly is much better then the early season struggles. Id be fine with him getting just about any term of extension. Last years draft top to bottom will probably be the best in team history by a huge margin. We found lots of good young guys from free agency too. Fogg, frederick, justin cole, bond, foketi, hardrick, etc. 

Mos is close, but I think we need to make the play offs for that to be fully earned. He still makes some funny decisions, doesnt put the best talent on the field, and is stuck on some really passive systems, and the team hasnt come close to playing 4 quarters of football. The win streak has certainly restored a good bit of the luster he had when he came here, and his teams have finally become arguably the best in the league. (best imop)

hes the best HC we've had in IDK how long. Isnt afraid to have other former HCs on his staff and has his specialty in his gear. Its a good situation to be in, and certainly nothing is wrong with opening preliminary talks now. I am a little surprised we would do that tbh mid season. We seemed like the type of organization that would wait but nothing wrong with it. 

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The win streak is still predicated on turn overs and play makers. And we havent even had the best play makers on the field. Denmark, frederick, heath

The win streak is 7 games. Only two other teams have 7 wins for the season. A win is a win. It's also hard to swallow using not playing Heath as an indictment of the coach when he's been on the team for less than a week

45 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

weve had win streaks and flashes of turning the corner only to plummet back to sub mediocrity before under walters/oshea. The cart is a bit before the horse but not a lot. Imop, the talent walters has brought in has earned him another year or more easily. The team isnt as good as its win streak, but it clearly is much better then the early season struggles. Id be fine with him getting just about any term of extension. Last years draft top to bottom will probably be the best in team history by a huge margin. We found lots of good young guys from free agency too. Fogg, frederick, justin cole, bond, foketi, hardrick, etc. 

Mos is close, but I think we need to make the play offs for that to be fully earned. He still makes some funny decisions, doesnt put the best talent on the field, and is stuck on some really passive systems, and the team hasnt come close to playing 4 quarters of football. The win streak has certainly restored a good bit of the luster he had when he came here, and his teams have finally become arguably the best in the league. (best imop)

hes the best HC we've had in IDK how long. Isnt afraid to have other former HCs on his staff and has his specialty in his gear. Its a good situation to be in, and certainly nothing is wrong with opening preliminary talks now. I am a little surprised we would do that tbh mid season. We seemed like the type of organization that would wait but nothing wrong with it. 

only thing we need to do is beat the esks and get another win somewhere and were off to playoffs.

but why stop there chase the second spot to host a playoff game.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

It took a long, long time for O'Shea and Walters to field a competitive team but it appears they have finally reached their objective.  They now have the personnel and depth to make the playoffs this season in the topsy-turvy CFL and are competitive enough to take a run at the Stamps.  Right now they're riding on a magical wave of brotherly love that looks good on O'shea and will probably earn him his next contract.

Continuing the winning trend after free agency this off-season will confirm whether they have the right personnel and coaching staff in place to progress in the playoffs or if a major upgrade at QB is necessary for them to become perennial challengers for the GC.

51 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For a fan on a mesageboard to say, with confidence, that MOS is leaving more-talented players off the roster in favour of less-talented ones, is laughably arrogant. 

O'Shea may be a professional football head coach currently on a 7-game win streak, but I'm pretty sure wbbfan knows better than him regarding talent evaluation. Get off your high horse.

Holy crap! Not one of you guys has even mentioned Richie Hall. I mean, the D is what is carrying this team and is responsible for it's success, but everyone wants to heap the praise on O'Shea? I find that somewhat bizarre. Lapo has been Lapo and the offense shows it. Walters has done well upgrading the talent level on this team and improving some of the depth but I did not like the Willy trade for reasons I've already elaborated on and I remain concerned with our QB depth. We've also had some very fortunate turns of events with key injuries and such to other teams. We haven't had to play Ray or Collaros, the Als are in disarray, and we got 2 games against easily the worst team in the league and barely got by those games. Sure wins are wins are I'm as happy as anyone to take them but lets not get carried away here. Let's see how we do against Calgary, Edm, BC, and the RBs. When I see O'Shea outcoaching those coaches, and Nichols outplaying BLM, Reilly, Jennings/Lulay and Burris/Harris then I'll get excited. 

Many here would have sold their soul for Chris Jones.   But you know there's something to be said for the level headed maybe boring coach like Mike O'Shea.   History shows that the flamboyant coaches might have short term success but they fizzle out just as fast.  

I'll take a coach like Hufnagel, Buono, Riley or Trestman. These guys have proven longevity  in coaching vs. guys like Higgins or Maciocca.  Sure there's exceptions to both but overall I believe that history proves it. 

My fear always was that we let O'Shea go and he goes to another team and flourishes in to a great  coach.   I just believe that O'Shea and Walters are going to be the combo that ends the drought.       

13 minutes ago, J5V said:

Holy crap! Not one of you guys has even mentioned Richie Hall. I mean, the D is what is carrying this team and is responsible for it's success, but everyone wants to heap the praise on O'Shea? I find that somewhat bizarre. Lapo has been Lapo and the offense shows it. Walters has done well upgrading the talent level on this team and improving some of the depth but I did not like the Willy trade for reasons I've already elaborated on and I remain concerned with our QB depth. We've also had some very fortunate turns of events with key injuries and such to other teams. We haven't had to play Ray or Collaros, the Als are in disarray, and we got 2 games against easily the worst team in the league and barely got by those games. Sure wins are wins are I'm as happy as anyone to take them but lets not get carried away here. Let's see how we do against Calgary, Edm, BC, and the RBs. When I see O'Shea outcoaching those coaches, and Nichols outplaying BLM, Reilly, Jennings/Lulay and Burris/Harris then I'll get excited. 

Mike O'Shea has the best special teams unit in the league which he is the coordinator. No credit for that?

I thought this group was done at 1-4. They've completely changed how I view them.

It's not just that they've won 7 games in a row. That streak will end at some point, maybe even this weekend. What they have shown is that the culture did in fact change here. That there is some resiliency to come back from losses. These are the Winnipeg Blue Bombers that O'Shea has led. 

Credit to Walters for how he has constructed the roster, but O'Shea has done a good job with those players. I'm looking around the league and now think we have one of the best young coaches right now who continues to improve.

These guys are all getting re-signed and I'm pumped. 

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Mike O'Shea has the best special teams unit in the league which he is the coordinator. No credit for that?

Mike O'Shea is getting all the credit. I'm surprised Richie Hall gets none. Why is that?

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

Mike O'Shea is getting all the credit. I'm surprised Richie Hall gets none. Why is that?

There are two ways to approach this sentence. First, that we need to shift credit to Richie Hall, or second, and this would be my preferred option - this coaching staff deserves a helluva lot of credit. That's Osh to coordinators to assistants.

44 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Many here would have sold their soul for Chris Jones.   But you know there's something to be said for the level headed maybe boring coach like Mike O'Shea.   History shows that the flamboyant coaches might have short term success but they fizzle out just as fast.  

I'll take a coach like Hufnagel, Buono, Riley or Trestman. These guys have proven longevity  in coaching vs. guys like Higgins or Maciocca.  Sure there's exceptions to both but overall I believe that history proves it. 

My fear always was that we let O'Shea go and he goes to another team and flourishes in to a great  coach.   I just believe that O'Shea and Walters are going to be the combo that ends the drought.       

Dave and I just had a conversation today about how Bluto once said that we are just grooming MOS and Walters for their future career with the Argos, where they'll win multiple championships. That statement terrifies me, because I believe it. I'm nearly ready to make these guys lifers...

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Dave and I just had a conversation today about how Bluto once said that we are just grooming MOS and Walters for their future career with the Argos, where they'll win multiple championships. That statement terrifies me, because I believe it. I'm nearly ready to make these guys lifers...

Seems to me Bluto said the same thing about Henoc Muamba.

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I read that and it gave me the shivers.