Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

3 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I would be on board with:

Walters: 3yrs Max

O'shea: 2yrs Max

Anything more and I think we end up going back to the days of huge payouts and not being able to afford the next man up if things go bad....

I also don't think you can give O'Shea anything less than 3 years. He signed for 3 years originally, you're extending him because he's done what you ask him to and now you give him less security than when you first hired him? I can't see it.

Many people call years 1 and 2 a failure. I don't. I call them building the foundation.

Was this year a failure for Saskatchewan? Or was it the time necessary to build the foundation for what is shaping up to be a pretty good team?

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I also don't think you can give O'Shea anything less than 3 years. He signed for 3 years originally, you're extending him because he's done what you ask him to and now you give him less security than when you first hired him? I can't see it.

Many people call years 1 and 2 a failure. I don't. I call them building the foundation.

Was this year a failure for Saskatchewan? Or was it the time necessary to build the foundation for what is shaping up to be a pretty good team?

I don't know how anyone can see year 1 of the MOS/Walters regime as a failure. It was a complete and total rebuild, what do you expect?

Year 2 was disappointing in the sense that the W's weren't there but an average kicker probably gets us at least 2 more wins.

This year they started slow and made multiple personnel changes and have gone 9-2 since. This speaks to the tremendous depth that we have procured in the past 3 years.

Winnipeg is starting to become more of a desirable landing spot for FA's and MOS/Walters are key reasons why. Lock 'em up.

29 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Typical Bombers. Reminds me of the Willy situation. He showed some talent and the Bombers rewarded him with a huge long term contract. O'Shea finally shows something after 2 years of almost complete failure and they want to give him a 3 or 4 year deal. How bout they give him 2 years and we see if he even gets a 2nd winning season before we go all out with a long term contract? 

I don't like the idea of 5 years for Walters either. I'd rather see a 2 year extension. Tons can change in a couple of years and I'd rather we didn't have to pay Walters out if he doesn't maintain this years level.

Walters has been with the club for 6 years,  I'm pretty sure they know what they are getting with him.    

O'Shea...  I am not afraid of signing him long term since the team has been extremely disciplined and for the most part they always seem prepared and focused on playing football.    I have no problem signing him long term.

Now Hall and LaPo.... those guys I still am not sold on... 

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Walters has been with the club for 6 years,  I'm pretty sure they know what they are getting with him.    

O'Shea...  I am not afraid of signing him long term since the team has been extremely disciplined and for the most part they always seem prepared and focused on playing football.    I have no problem signing him long term.

Now Hall and LaPo.... those guys I still am not sold on... 

Re-up coordinators as you like. If they prove to be that good at their job, each would be considered for future head coaching positions regardless of their contract. As such, I'm pretty sure that the team wouldn't/couldn't stand in the way of their advancement. No reasonable coordinators salary would match their goal of helming their own team.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

I personally don't believe instant success is a sign of total failure. I guess it depends on whether you believe the right road is being travelled. 

In any regard, I don't believe you have to go further than 3 years as sign of approval.  Hey, if things are still going right you can always extend at any time in any year..

A pat on the back, and an extension seems appropriate enough. Long term extensions..not so much.

Edited by Mr Dee

Oh man do we dare to dream about having the same guy running the team for nearly a decade? When was the last time that happened? I am less sold on Walters than some but the guy stepped up this season compared to last, let's see how it continues to progress because we've gone through the learning curve with these guys, let's keep them when they're poised to be good quality people. 

5 years seems like a little much.  I think I would do 4 for Walters and 3 for O'Shea.  I'm not sure how anyone can look at 2014-2015 and call them "almost complete failure."  We've seen that.  That's Tim Burke, that's Jeff Reinebold, that's Jim Daley and that's 2012-2013 Joe Mack.  2014-15 didn't go that well but they definitely built towards what we're seeing now.  I know people will hate reading this, but you put Medlock on the 2015 team and they're likely playoff-bound.  Who could predict that Hajrullahu would fall off the cliff like he did?  I look at 2014-15 as a detox from a life of alcoholism.  It looked like things were getting worse but the process was still working.

33 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

How does giving Willy a stupidly big contract he didn't deserve  = getting a bunch for him in a trade? :blink:

Because you're missing the big picture.

When contracts aren't guaranteed (like in the CFL) it doesn't matter the term you give a guy. It also was nowhere near as bad as the original terms that were reported depicted the deal to be. So all in all, the contract was handed out to keep an asset that ended up getting us a very good return.

And no offense, but Kyle Walters has and always will have a better grasp of the market value of his players as assets than you or I will.

36 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

How does giving Willy a stupidly big contract he didn't deserve  = getting a bunch for him in a trade? :blink:

if he had a small contract they probably would have just kept him as a backup, but because of the bog contract they wanted to move him and look at that return it netted them. Walters played that one about as well as he could. 

Walters has been instrumental in getting this team back to respectability and the upswing is still ongoing.  get him locked up.  oshea has turned a corner imo as well and has matched wits with some of the best coaches and come out on top.  I'd not be opposed to having either locked up long term.  Continuality breeds success.  Constant change is never a good thing (see last 10 years lol)