Nichols vs Glenn

wbbfan

This trade has raises some questions for me. Mainly, can or will glenn take the starting job? 

Glenn has the Raw tools to excel in this kind of system. Quick release, strong ability to find his best receivers especially in the clutch, ability to win the game and produce in volume. 

Nichols is the small ball, game manager and has shown strong ability of late to drive the field late in games. He knows the system and fits very well, hes shown strong intangibles through out his time, that winning mentality and attitude. 

On the down side, glenn is a gambler. He may lead the way to several blow outs, but he will also throw away games. Mean while with nichols we play close games that should be blow outs. 

All in all its a great situation to be in, so long as it doesnt become a distraction to the team. Its certainly better then willy/nichols. Some one to push nichols for once could be a good thing too. Hes stepped in for injured and failing qbs. But we havent seen him be the no1 and have a qb behind him pushing him. I hope that when the win streak ends and equalizes a bit nichols wont be un fairly thrown under the bus if he continues to execute at the same level. At the same time I want to see the offense finally produce at a high level. 

12 minutes ago, White Out said:

Oh good. A qb controversy for some reason. 

Maybe because our offense is under performing and glenn has thrown for 5 tds in one game this year against one of the better teams. Where as nichols has never thrown more then 3, as a pro. Take your blinders off. 

Strictly Nichols. There is no 'vs.'

If you could have thought of a scenario where you could choose a viable backup, at a decent cost, and not disrupt the mojo, these trades probably fit the bill. 

The fact that we got a starter and some worthy picks is pure bonus.

Edited by Mr Dee

Lol 6 game win streak and you think Glenn even has the slightest chance if "winning" the job. Lol oh man that's awesome, sure he's thrown a bunch of tds this year. Problem is, plenty of those have been to the other team. That's why Nichols is winning. It's not about what he's doing. It about what he's not doing.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

This trade has raises some questions for me. Mainly, can or will glenn take the starting job? 

Glenn has the Raw tools to excel in this kind of system. Quick release, strong ability to find his best receivers especially in the clutch, ability to win the game and produce in volume. 

I actually laughed out loud at this one.  Unless you're meaning that in the clutch, he'll manage to find a DB to throw to, you are completely out to lunch.  Glenn is one of the most "non clutch" qbs to play this game.  He can win games in the summer, he can win games when they don't mean anything, but when the chips are down, he's one of the last guys you'd want to see under center.

I'm not too worried because I really don't think that he'll be much worse than Willy would be if Nichols goes down, but if you think that there's any sort of qb controversy here, all I can say is "check out the standings".

Seriously, wow... just... wow 

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I dunno guys, Glenn has a lot better stuff on his resume than Nichols. They won't make a change quickly but if Glenn gets a chance he might just run with it. For all his problems winning the big game the dude can still perform in the CFL, that's why he's lasted as long as he has. 

But he'll never win a Grey Cup as a starting QB and that's all that really matters. Like you said, he has problems winning the big game and that trumps all.

As a backup QB... Glenn Is a pretty good option to have. You look around the league really and if the starter got hurt... who'd be playing. .

BC Lulay 

Sask Gale 

EDM Franklin maybe 

Cal Tate 

Wpg Glenn 

Just the west... Glenn isn't the worst option... I feel hes good enough to be .500 and really .500 from here on out if Nichols was to get hurt more than likely guarantees a playoff game. 

Our D is very very good. Would I be confident with Glenn in the playoffs?  I dunno. I'm not sure with the way willy was playing if I'd be any more confident in him and really that's what its about. Glenn. Nichols. Willy. They won't be winning us games on their own. But limit the mistakes and our D just might win a few. 

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

But he'll never win a Grey Cup as a starting QB and that's all that really matters. Like you said, he has problems winning the big game and that trumps all.

cant say that, far worse qbs like marcus crandell won grey cups. Hank is far worse in the clutch and has rings.