Bombers @ Alouettes

Rich

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

So now there's not only positrons and negatrons but willy mavens and Nichols lovers I guess ?? 

Perhaps it's just me but I don't really give a crap who the qb is... it's irrelevant.... I don't know why pointing out flaws is considered hating Nichols and loving Willy. It's not about Nichols or Willy.  It's about winning a game. Yeah they have done that 4 times in a row now but if you aren't winning when your D is forcing huge amounts of turnovers you have problems. It's great that we are winning but make no mistake about it.... it's 99 percent on the backs of our D and special teams.  6 turnovers and we win by what? 14? Should be winning by double that getting 6 turnovers a game and I get that's it's not all on the qb. 

I couldn't love this post more if I tried. 100 per cent truth right there.

19 hours ago, Goalie said:

You missed the point.  Point being.... Nichols has been very average the last couple 3 games now. Very very average. That's enough right now. He's also had games where the other team should have more interceptions but has dropped them. Bottom line.. the D and special teams had 6 takeaways... just like the week b4 the bye and we won by what? 14 points both games.... the O is not doing enough.  What the D and Special teams are doing is not sustainable. Eventually you need the O to put up more than 1 touchdown a game 

Ok, so Nichols has been "average" lately with 2 rookie WR's, 1 WR who was watching from his couch 3 weeks ago, and a Jamie Stoddard clone. What the hell was Willy with our entire starting offence intact? Trash is the answer.

I swear Nichols could win 19 games in a row, rescue 6 babies from a burning daycare, and defeat isis and some of you guys would still cry that he isnt doing enough. Ever think that the game flow/plan dictated his ultra conservative play by not forcing anything or taking chances deep and he did exactly what Lapo wanted on friday??

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

6 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Ok, so Nichols has beeny eyesn"average" lately with 2 rookie WR's, 1 WR who was watching from his couch 3 weeks ago, and a Jamie Stoddard clone. What the hell was Willy with our entire starting offence intact? Trash is the answer.

I swear Nichols could win 19 games in a row, rescue 6 babies from a burning daycare, and defeat isis and some of you guys would still cry that he isnt doing enough. Ever think that the game flow/plan dictated his ultra conservative play by not forcing anything or taking chances deep and he did exactly what Lapo wanted on friday??

Until hevends global warming then nope, the bars set high In my eyes ;)

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hmmmm I don't think thats true.

Im being facetious of course but i sure remember reading a lot of pro Willy posts after losses when he was putting up lots of yards but making game crippling errors and not getting the job done when it counted. Now a lot of the same guys are negative towards Nichols when we win. Strange world we live in.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Defenses knew what to do with Willy, and pretty much every other QB we've had for years - just bring the house, watch him stand there like a deer in headlights, and then break through and sack him or watch him throw an INT.  Nichols is getting the ball out to the receivers so fast that the same defensive strategy defences have employed against Winnipeg for years just isn't working.  In the CFL, if you have an accurate QB who gets the ball out quickly, with a decent OL that can open holes for a running option, you have a good chance of success on offense, as it's a huge field and receivers get a running start off the line.  Nichols isn't getting sacked, so he's not fumbling.  He's making good decisions with the ball, that you would expect from a veteran.  Couple that with a defense that is on fire, and you get four wins in a row.  I just hope there is no mental layup in Regina.  Keep the foot on the gas guys.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

11 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Richards and JFG have been invisible? Well no kidding they don't see the field..

they do though. jfg especially over the past year or so. We start ni Rb and FB and harris rarely comes out. Our sub in wr for most of the 5-6 packs are ni and have to be due to ratio. 

I have no doubt Nichols can stretch the field and pick up some huge yardage. We have seen it when he played with Edmonton. I think Lapo is just keeping his play calling tight and not allowing him to throw it down field. I like the quick dink and dunk plays and then tossing in a 10-15 yard pass now and then. It's working so why change anything? 

The back up is always the most popular guy.  I think people were pretty fair about Willy.  Early on it was "well his numbers were good, give him a chance" but we quickly saw there were issues, despite good numbers.  And again, I think people are fair on Nichols in that he's winning.  But after 5 games we have enough of a sample size to grade him more.  And the offence has been good enough to win but probably not good enough to overcome a poor defensive performance.  Luckily that hasn't happened.  But the O is going to have to be better.  On paper, Willy's skill set is better than Nichols.  Thats why I think he will get another shot and then we will know if he just needed time to get his mojo back or if he's had it beaten out of him through injury and lack of confidence.  But I think we will see that play out sooner or later.

5 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I have no doubt Nichols can stretch the field and pick up some huge yardage. We have seen it when he played with Edmonton. I think Lapo is just keeping his play calling tight and not allowing him to throw it down field. I like the quick dink and dunk plays and then tossing in a 10-15 yard pass now and then. It's working so why change anything? 

It's not going to be sustainable - teams will adjust. I hope they don't wait until it stops working 

2 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Nichols did not have a stellar game passing, and almost all his passes were short-medium. I do agree that LaPolice likely drew up that sort of game plan due to the changes in receivers and the expected ferocity of the Montreal D-line.

22 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'm not even just talking about last night tho. Our D is averaging like 5 turnovers a game the last 4 games. 

Ya montreal has a very good D but when you begin 3 drives inside the Montreal 35 pretty much and come away with 3 fgs.... that's not very good O production. Even 1 touchdown there would have made a difference.  Gotta make teams pay for their mistakes with TDS. 

And no... I know there's another team on the field.... I mean Cmon I've watched for 20 years now.... Bombers need to be better in the red zone. Need more tds 

Did you know that mo Leggett has 3 pick 6 tds and No bomber receiver has 3. That's an issue. Need more production from the O. Most nights 1 td a game won't do it

So the offence wasn't good enough taking advantage in the Hamilton game?

54 minutes ago, do or die said:

Nichols had, like one completion longer than 15 yds.....and it was to Harris.  Yeh, things are working out, but in this league....you have to stretch out the field, a hell of a lot more than that.....so defenders can't just rundown hill on this short stuff. 

It's adjustment that needs to be made sooner rather than later 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

In theory, once the D-backs start cheating up and the linebackers start dropping back into coverage, it ought to open up both the running game and fly routes. We will see if LaPolice has the smarts to do this in the next game or two. The Riders look so disheartened right now that the next two games ought to be more like practices. Rider fans have to be livid at what Jones has done to their team.

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It's not going to be sustainable - teams will adjust. I hope they don't wait until it stops working 

Teams will adjust but I truly believe Lapo will also adjust. It seems that Lapo has adjusted after the half in ever game so far. Something we never got with Marcel. And once we have some receivers back he will likely let Nichols let loose more. But I suppose we will see. 

10 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Lol, i swear some people would like to see Willy throw for 400 yards in a loss than Nichols throw for 200 in a win.

This is honest to god so close to truth its disturbing. The thing is, a lot of folks just dont want to be wrong. You had a lot of posters going on and on about how it wasn't Willys fault and that he was the eventual answer. So Nichols coming in and winning 4 in a row with LESS starters than Willy is bound to put people in a bind; do I want to admit I was wrong and reconsider my preconceived notions about our QB's or do I double down like Trump?

The answer, for a lot of posters here, has been to post Trumpishly.

11 minutes ago, White Out said:

This is honest to god so close to truth its disturbing. The thing is, a lot of folks just dont want to be wrong. You had a lot of posters going on and on about how it wasn't Willys fault and that he was the eventual answer. So Nichols coming in and winning 4 in a row with LESS starters than Willy is bound to put people in a bind; do I want to admit I was wrong and reconsider my preconceived notions about our QB's or do I double down like Trump?

The answer, for a lot of posters here, has been to post Trumpishly.

4.jpg

What people want is for folks to stop attributing everything to the qb. Hell Willy won against the ticats when the D forced a pile of turnovers too but the haters kept hating on him. You can talk about the play of a quarterback good or bad in wins or losses without the absolute statements some people want to make. Qb is important but it's still just one position

How can you guys re-annoint Willy as the starter without giving Nicholls the chance to lose a couple of games?  Willy needs time to heal, watch, and learn our system.   Being behind Nicholls at this point may be the best thing for him and for the Blue Bombers.  

QBs in this league need to be hungry and willing to push the ball down field.  Willy was waiting for sure things or eating the ball.  

Edited by ALuCsRED