Bombers @ Alouettes

Rich

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Was it me or did the Als crowd seem extra annoying with either the air horns or whatever they were using to make noise? Made it very annoying to listen on the radio and to also watch it on tv.

Not just you...drove me up the wall...TSN always puts mics too close to the crowd...I noticed in the Vikings game yesterday, which is in the new stadium supposed to be the loudest anywhere...that you could not hear the crowd noise...only the QB and the play by play and color guys. TSN is bush league for broadcasts...just need to look at how they keep using Rod Black all these years. By the way...wonder where he is? Nice guy but let him do ice skating.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Was it me or did the Als crowd seem extra annoying with either the air horns or whatever they were using to make noise? Made it very annoying to listen on the radio and to also watch it on tv.

MAKE SOME N0iS3EE3E#E#!@#!@#$@!$@$!@ 

every defensive play. I turned off the volume

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I didn't think you could bring in noise generating devices like that into games...

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

Not just you...drove me up the wall...TSN always puts mics too close to the crowd...I noticed in the Vikings game yesterday, which is in the new stadium supposed to be the loudest anywhere...that you could not hear the crowd noise...only the QB and the play by play and color guys. TSN is bush league for broadcasts...just need to look at how they keep using Rod Black all these years. By the way...wonder where he is? Nice guy but let him do ice skating.

Matter of preference. For me, I love when the crowd noise is turned up. Adds to the viewing experience.

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

What people want is for folks to stop attributing everything to the qb. Hell Willy won against the ticats when the D forced a pile of turnovers too but the haters kept hating on him. You can talk about the play of a quarterback good or bad in wins or losses without the absolute statements some people want to make. Qb is important but it's still just one position

Look, I think you are a reasonable person and a poster, but this isn't quite true. I've posted clear evidence of certain posters who reacted in totally different ways after our Hamilton wins. When Willy won, there's a small group of vocal posters who talked about everything but the offense. It was all praise for the D and celebrations. After our Hamilton win with Nichols, however, it was a much more guarded celebration. Lots of talk about the offense. Those threads are still there and exist, and I invite you to read them to see the difference.

I very much agree QB's get too much blame and praise, but the QB position is by far the most important and influential in the league. Our records with Willy and Nichols aren't solely the story of the Qb's, I agree.  But to suggest that plugging in Willy would have us also on a 4 game win streak is a stretch. He just isn't confident enough or "QB" smart enough to do it. 

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

The TSN miking in the Als stadium is weird. I saw a game there a couple years ago and I was expecting to get blasted out of my seat by that stupid FAITES DU BRUIT sample they play on second down. But it wasn't so bad, I could just hear it above the crowd noise.

Stade Molson is such a beautiful place to see a football game.  Gotta get back there sometime.

2 hours ago, Saidin said:

I didn't think you could bring in noise generating devices like that into games...

it used to happen actually. Teams would blast generic crowd noise through the speakers. Dave ritchie complained about it, a team was penalized then the next week the refs handed the penalty right back to us. 

On 2016-08-28 at 11:28 PM, ALuCsRED said:

How can you guys re-annoint Willy as the starter without giving Nicholls the chance to lose a couple of games?  Willy needs time to heal, watch, and learn our system.   Being behind Nicholls at this point may be the best thing for him and for the Blue Bombers.  

QBs in this league need to be hungry and willing to push the ball down field.  Willy was waiting for sure things or eating the ball.  

I haven't heard one person re-annoint Willy as the starter. Just because people are concerned with the offensive output in these games (especially the last 2), doesn't mean they hate Nichols or illogically love Willy all of a sudden. I think almost everyone who's been criticizing the offense has been very fair in noting it could be play-calling (either overall or specifically because of the way the D and ST are playing), penalties, and the missing receivers.

I think that, even with the way Willy was playing in the first 5 games, we probably win 3 of the last 4 games strictly based on the way the D and ST have played. ST has been solid all season (although Medlock missed a few FGs early on -- the majority of his 20 in a row have come in this winning streak) and the D was definitely not this dominant during the first few games of the season, even in the Hamilton win. Also, on offense, while we did have more of our starters, we missed Dressler for a couple of those losses, and the O-line has definitely solidified over the last 4 games.

I said it before the last game, and I still feel the same way -- I'm not overly enamoured with Nichols as our starting QB, but I sure as hell don't think we should be making any kind of changes there, either. He deserves a long leash based on his lack of turnovers alone, not to mention his ability to put points on the board when it matters. In the Hamilton slaughter, he and the Bombers capitalized on the field position the D and ST put us in; in Montreal, they didn't.

Basically, I'm saying almost all of you are right in your own ways. Heh.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, 17to85 said:

It's a turnover league. Win the turn over battle win the game except for rare occasions. Not a qb league. That's the ignorant kind of thinking I'm talking about

Oh, it's a linebacker league. Thanks for letting me know.

20 hours ago, comedygeek said:

I think that, even with the way Willy was playing in the first 5 games, we probably win 3 of the last 4 games strictly based on the way the D and ST have played. ST has been solid all season (although Medlock missed a few FGs early on -- the majority of his 20 in a row have come in this winning streak) and the D was definitely not this dominant during the first few games of the season, even in the Hamilton win. Also, on offense, while we did have more of our starters, we missed Dressler for a couple of those losses, and the O-line has definitely solidified over the last 4 games.

Basically, I'm saying almost all of you are right in your own ways. Heh.

The problem with Willy was his inability to maintain momentum and time-of-possession in the 1st half of each game he played.  Special teams and defence were then tired and worn out.  I believe this change comes down to Nicholls, his ability to make 1st downs and his ability to control the clock.  

IMO, the change happened when the QB changed.  The defence got a boost by having rest, and the special teams improved for the same reason.  

I re-watched  the game yesterday and noticed a couple things.

Bond played left guard beside Stanley all game. 

If football was like hockey Westerman would have had 2 assists before the first half of the first quarter.

The hit/hurry on Glen that caused the Cole int and he forced Glenn into the arms of Sholagun for the sack.

He also rushed from the nose tackle spot on 1st and 2nd and long situations.

I'll add some more later.

Our offense had the ball 4 times in the second half before Lofler's pick with just over 1 minute left.

2 first down and then a Harris fumble ended drive one 

A 2 and out on drive two first sack in 2 games on the oline.

A nice long drive that was stop on a run attemp on 2nd and 2 ended with a field goal 

94 yard td drive 

I may have missed one drive but I came away with a solid impression of Nichols and the way he handled a blitzing defence that really took away the deep throw opportunities. I think if push came to shove this offense can win a game  or three on their own merits.

Edited by MyDogHasScheifeles

24 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Why would that change?... the only time he has ever flipped out to RT was the game Hardrick got hurt....

I don't know for sure but the left side is the blind side. Maybe Bond was there to strengthen blitz pickup or offset/match up better with the Montreal D.  In the NFL your best interior guy plays LG. We might see the same lineup from here on out it might be a one and done. Something to look for this weekend.

9 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

I don't know for sure but the left side is the blind side. Maybe Bond was there to strengthen blitz pickup or offset/match up better with the Montreal D.  In the NFL your best interior guy plays LG. We might see the same lineup from here on out it might be a one and done. Something to look for this weekend.

LG is the only spot Travis Bond has played all season, save for one time he filled in during an injury situation........

16 minutes ago, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

I don't understand why you're trying to analyze this.

Bond has been our left guard from the time he set foot in our lineup other than in a case when we had to reshuffle in-game because of injuries. Nobody expects that to change, not sure why it's notable.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

LG is the only spot Travis Bond has played all season, save for one time he filled in during an injury situation........

I respectfully disagree. He filled in when Neufeld we injured. Hardrick took Neufeld spot and Bond filled Hardrick rg spot. He played three games at rg until the move to LG vs Montreal.

Just now, MyDogHasScheifeles said:

I respectfully disagree. He filled in when Neufeld we injured. Hardrick took Neufeld spot and Bond filled Hardrick rg spot. He played three games at rg until the move to LG vs Montreal.

I hate to break it to you, but this isn't really something that is up for debate. You're mistaken.