No more patience. ....

bb1

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yeah but people who dont understand what quantify good/bad blocking, tackling vs alignment errors, and poor play calling have to blame some one. Dont you know losing is 100% qb and winning is  who ever looked flashy?

What a dumb post with logical fallacies to boot. No one here is saying it's 100% on Willy. This is the kind of mind numbing garbage posting that really brings down the level of the forum. 

1. Willy is part of the issue. Can't seem to hit the long throws and to an extent the medium throws. He also seems to have issues with pressure and reading defenses.

2. Our OL seems to struggle in short yardage.

3. Our play calling seems to be ineffective.

4. Our front 7 can't seem to get pressure.

5. Our D has tackling issues.

6. Our coach seems to not be able to manage the clock or make adjustments.

I'm not putting all the blame on Willy. I blame Walters and MOS, both of whom are not good at their jobs.

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

1. Willy is part of the issue. Can't seem to hit the long throws and to an extent the medium throws. He also seems to have issues with pressure and reading defenses.

2. Our OL seems to struggle in short yardage.

3. Our play calling seems to be ineffective.

4. Our front 7 can't seem to get pressure.

5. Our D has tackling issues.

6. Our coach seems to not be able to manage the clock or make adjustments.

I'm not putting all the blame on Willy. I blame Walters and MOS, both of whom are not good at their jobs.

Gads you could have posted this last year and the year before and probably every game this year. Seems very little if anything has changed over the past 3 years. So IMHO there is only one common denominator and that just happens to be the 3 Amigos (MOS, Willy and Walters).

I believe that Glenn was let go because the famous Mike Kelly came to town and declared that the 3rd string QB from Edmonton the past year was anointed as his starting QB. I stand to be corrected but I believe that is how that went down.  As for the threads title, I agree I ran out of patience last year. Get rid of the country club atmosphere and put someone who will hold them accountable for their actions in place. MOS is a players coach but he doesn't know how to hold people responsible for their play.

1 hour ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I believe that Glenn was let go because the famous Mike Kelly came to town and declared that the 3rd string QB from Edmonton the past year was anointed as his starting QB. I stand to be corrected but I believe that is how that went down.  As for the threads title, I agree I ran out of patience last year. Get rid of the country club atmosphere and put someone who will hold them accountable for their actions in place. MOS is a players coach but he doesn't know how to hold people responsible for their play.

We don't know what goes on behind locker room doors  but it doesn't matter. What goes on once the team hits the field does, and its flat-out bad.

On 7/3/2016 at 7:50 AM, TBURGESS said:

BC wouldn't take Willy and his contract (400K) straight up for Lulay and his contract (200K). In fact Willy's contract plus what he's shown on the field probably makes him untradable.

Yep you're right - no doubt we're / I mean the Wpg is stuck with him. 

20 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

That's why I jumped ship - sort of. I still want the bombers to do well, but to keep my sanity and to still be a CFL fan I had to start cheering for another team so may as well be the team I have season tickets to.

It was a real poopshow here in Edmonton for a few years to - especially in the Danny Maciocia era. He literally fluked a Grey Cup for the Eskimos then proceeded to singlehandedly wreck the franchise.

Thing is, it's only an 8 (now 9) team league. Even with the Eskimos's all messed up, it didn't take them long to bounce back. Yes they went through a few coaches in Hall, Reed, then Jones and now Maas, but at least they won games. Though the fans are staying away in droves now.

I credit the long standing WBB fans who keep going to the debacle in Wpg year after year after year. Luckily that new stadium was built though as if it wasn't I have a feeling there'd be telethons trying to keep them afloat.

A lot of BIG changes were made in the off season, but QB and HC has remained the same. 

It's still very early though. Willy did look better (though the stats did not bear that out) in the first three quarters against Calgary then he did against Montreal. By better, I mean he looked more sure of himself in the pocket and looked more confident. 

Unfortunately next stop is in Hamilton where, though they have a backup QB playing who did not look good at all in their last game, has been for the most part a very bad place for the Bombers to play in. Last year they were smoked 38 to 8 (and 52 to 26 at home). 

If the bombers get blown out by a backup in Hamilton - well, lets hope that doesn't happen

If the Bombers get trampled in Hamilton the way they have been in the last two games, we would officially be in freefall even though there would still be 15 games left. I cannot see team confidence rebounding quickly if it comes to that. And the troglodytes in Saskatchewan would be beside themselves with glee.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

If the Bombers get trampled in Hamilton the way they have been in the last two games, we would officially be in freefall even though there would still be 15 games left. I cannot see team confidence rebounding quickly if it comes to that. And the troglodytes in Saskatchewan would be beside themselves with glee.

If it's close and we see any improvement MOS keeps his job even if we lose imo. If it's a blowout? Hammy doesn't have its starting QB and we still get hammered? All bets are off then...

When you have such terrible talent every where Walters is the problem... doesn't help that O'SHEA is also so damn stubborn at keeping guys in stupid positions and playing the same guys over and over without actually looking for the problem he is also a huge problem.

Its no wonder why we played Peach for so long... we just can't find a guy to replace him... there's just so many issues with this organization that it seems hopeless to me.. 

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Just curious if any other CFL coach has ever started off with as poor a record (12-26) as O'Shea and has ever turned it around and had a successful career with the same team?

Rod Rust coached in the CFL a long time and his record as head coach is 1-15 (although that was with the Patriots in 1990 I believe). Needless to say he never got the chance to turn it around anywhere else as head coach.

Edited by Doublezero

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Just curious if any other ch has ever started off with as poor a  record (12-26) as O'Shea and has ever turned it around and had a successful career with the same team?

I know  Ron Lancaster had a terrible record with the Riders and then came back with Hammy  and  won a cup.

Edited by bb1

9 minutes ago, bb1 said:

I know  Ron Lancaster had a terrible record with the Riders and then came back with Haammy  and  won a cup.

To answer my own question it looks like Danny Barrett went 11-24-1 his first two seasons and eventually 57-68-1 between 2000-2006 with Sask. 

Lancaster went 4-28 in two seasons with Sask. but ended up being fired.  He also finished his coaching career in Hamilton with a record of 5-27 in the last two years.  Between those two bookends he was a great coach compiling a record of 83-43 with the Esks. and 55-66 with Hamilton which would have been much better if not for the last two years.

I really think the entire bomber operation is organizationally sick. The one thing they lack at almost all levels is accountability. Without proper ownership and oversight they operate inside a bubble. That's why folks like Miller, O'Shea and Walters don't have to fear for their jobs - at least while their multi-year contracts are in play. They have a board but its mostly a country club appointment. The owner is the mortage holder - Govt. of Manitoba - and the guy who slipped them all the money (construction, operational funding, overruns, repairs, Grey Cup subsidy, etc.) was defeated badly in the last provincial election. The current management group is happy to just "get by" - so long as crowds remain in the 24,000 to 27,000 range w/ 19,000 season ticket holders they can continue operating while escaping oversight, assuming corporate advertising sales and TSN money continue to hold. Even if crowds diminish to the 21,000 to 23,000 area and merch and promotion falter - I suspect the club has enough money in the tank to operate another 2+ years before having to go cap in hand to the province for more subsidies. And that's when the **** hits the fan, especially if the club can't meet its annual 4.5 million dollar mortage obligations.

42 minutes ago, Root said:

I really think the entire bomber operation is organizationally sick. The one thing they lack at almost all levels is accountability. Without proper ownership and oversight they operate inside a bubble. That's why folks like Miller, O'Shea and Walters don't have to fear for their jobs - at least while their multi-year contracts are in play. They have a board but its mostly a country club appointment. The owner is the mortage holder - Govt. of Manitoba - and the guy who slipped them all the money (construction, operational funding, overruns, repairs, Grey Cup subsidy, etc.) was defeated badly in the last provincial election. The current management group is happy to just "get by" - so long as crowds remain in the 24,000 to 27,000 range w/ 19,000 season ticket holders they can continue operating while escaping oversight, assuming corporate advertising sales and TSN money continue to hold. Even if crowds diminish to the 21,000 to 23,000 area and merch and promotion falter - I suspect the club has enough money in the tank to operate another 2+ years before having to go cap in hand to the province for more subsidies. And that's when the **** hits the fan, especially if the club can't meet its annual 4.5 million dollar mortage obligations.

This sounds more like a political rant than football.   I'm sure there's a message board somewhere where you can voice your political concerns.  

1 hour ago, Root said:

The owner is the mortage holder - Govt. of Manitoba - and the guy who slipped them all the money (construction, operational funding, overruns, repairs, Grey Cup subsidy, etc.) was defeated badly in the last provincial election.

Tim Horton's Field was built with public money.

BMO Field was built with public money.

BC Place and Lansdowne were reno'd with public money.

And on, and on.

All Grey Cups receive public funds.

Not saying I approve but can't blame the gov't for the product on the field.

Caught part of the coach's show and I realise MOS is never going to say anything but it was hard to listen to. 

His interview with media was more interesting as they tried to pin him down on some things and he was a bit flustered, went off talking about being a parent when asked about his coaching.  It seems to me he thinks players should just always be ready to play.  And maybe in a perfect world thats the case but in pro sports, is it not the job of the coaching staff to prepare the players?

I think Willy is rusty, a bit shell shocked and learning a new system so Im hopeful he gets better.  But the lack of emotion and fire by so many players this early speaks to the coaching.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Tim Horton's Field was built with public money.

BMO Field was built with public money.

BC Place and Lansdowne were reno'd with public money.

And on, and on.

All Grey Cups receive public funds.

Not saying I approve but can't blame the gov't for the product on the field.

All you say are factual. 9 team league - only 3 community run franchises. Riders seem to have the massive war chest and frenzied fans who actually will pay good money for weak product. With a new stadium (riders are actually putting money into the deal w/ government funding the balance) they should be set for decades to come. Edmonton has a combination of a storied franchise that wins consistently over the decades and doesn't have prolonged slumps - - - also a stadium that can hold 45,000+.

I think the privately run Als put in some of their own money to upgrade their Molson stadium, no?

Bombers are running off a long and iffy mortage combined with a mostly non-football board. The team is clearly funded by government and run by a small inside circle led by Miller. David Asper made a play to buy the team and stadium combined but in essence he wanted everything paid by taxpayers, too. The model is similar to Edmonton and Regina - but the application is vastly different.

On 7/2/2016 at 8:13 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Kind of reminds me of the scenario when they traded Brock to Hamilton for Clements.  Brock was a great QB but he never managed to win anything, whereas Clements was less skilled but a better game manager with a previous GC ring in his pocket.  The results were immediate as Clements led the Bombers to their first GC victory since 1962.

wasn't all Dieter's fault.  That Edmonton team he had to play every year in the playoffs was one of the best CFL teams of all time.  Clements got lucky that by 1984 the Eskimo dynasty was finally over.