Burke

If Lapo coached as dull as he talks on TV I can see why a team could lull themselves to sleep.

I swear the moment RH passed away the whole team simply never ever played with any heart, intensity or passion.

very astute observation. I never thought of that until now. Great point - he would have made a great HC I think

Just got home and saw this heading, then I read the article (Wpg. Sun BTW) ((and I guessed right on who wrote it)

If I could jump through the newspapers and strangle Tim burke at this time..I would (well maybe)

There are stupid things…..and then there are more stupid things.

But I can't quite make out what Burke is saying through this article.

Is he saying that Mack never discussed taking over the HCing job before axing LaPolice? 'Cause that would be Mack stupid.

But if he talked it over with Mack before LaPolice was fired then he is Head Coaching stupid. 

No, Tim, you didn't have to take the job…with all its headaches and truckloads of non-talent.

You didn't have to lead us down that road from mediocrity to ineptness.

Were you trying to prove the point on how little talent there was by exposing it to kindergarden coaching?

And the fans, in their beautiful new stadium, had to go though your poor first HCing opportunity, and you think you're the one who suffered.

And in the back ground, smirking away, is Friesen, just having scored the media's version of a blind-side hit.

Burke…you have to learn to keep your mouth shut.

We didn't have the talent last year. Burke is as much a victim of Mac as we all are.

Difficulty: Macks single biggest mistake was giving Burke the head coaching job. 

Whether he had the talent to win or not is irrelevant, Burke got nothing out of the talent he did have and many players regressed and showed an alarming tendency to quit at the first sign of adversity. Burke was an abysmal failure of a head coach and that's all on him. 

Burke came here from Montreal for one reason: to have the opportunity to be a head coach. That's on record. Now he says he never wanted it. Ok, then why come back for a second year? Surely the Bombers could have found someone else with an entire off-season to work with. He's a lying sack-o-crap who takes responsibility for nothing. Even as DC he gets Creehan to do his dirty work.

Burke is honest to a fault. He clearly is being genuine. It would be easier to lie. He's not throwing anyone under the bus. He's being honest. There are still people on here who whine about Mike Kelly. I wonder how many years will pass before they stop whining about Tim Burke.

Except for every player on the team, the rest of the coaching staff, and the entire management staff... he's deflecting blame from himself to everybody else.... not really sure what your definition of "throwing under the bus" is....

It doesn't matter if it's your fault or not. If you were in charge and you're speaking in public, it was your fault.

If a QB throws an interception, it doesn't matter why. On record for the public, it was his fault. Same thing applies to Burke.

Then again why is anyone surprised? Burke never accepted responsibility for anything.

Asked an honest question.  Gave an honest answer.

Where does he say "you know, Im a hell of a coach.  Im fantastic.  These players are the shits."

If you all want every coach etc to lie, then why should we bother with interviews at all.  Would it be that much more interesting if he said "well, it was my dream to be a coach and it was the perfect opportunity because we had such a wonderful organization and top flight talent in all positions.  But I sucked."

He expressed it was tough taking over in the middle of the season.  Sounds reasonable.

He said he hated seeing a coach fired in the middle of the season.  Sounds reasonable.

He said he didnt really want the job.  That's an interesting response I would have expanded on but it sounds like he didnt want the job because he knew he was walking into a **** show.

He said he took it because someone had to.  He's not savvy enough to frame this in a more positive way but clearly he means he felt a duty to step up when asked even though he knew the team was not in a position to compete.  Which happens to be true.  So, Burke was right.  Burke was honest.  And I never got the impression he was maliciously throwing players under the bus.  I think once a few people coined that phrase to describe him, it was always going to stick.  if he came out and said "Our QB was the second best player in the league", a bunch of people would say "see, Burke's ripping on the QB again".

People on the internet are far to quick to insult and degrade people.  Im just saying Burke came to Winnipeg,did his best, was a HELL of a DC.  He deserves a bit more respect.  A lot of people ripping him, if they saw him in person, would get an autograph and a selfie.

Burke is honest to a fault. He clearly is being genuine. It would be easier to lie. He's not throwing anyone under the bus. He's being honest. There are still people on here who whine about Mike Kelly. I wonder how many years will pass before they stop whining about Tim Burke.

Ok you date him then! The rest of us...well not so much...what is Burke really saying? that unless he has a strong team with strong players and a very good quarterback...he is doomed to fail...I guess that is being honest in a way...he is admitting he is a terrible coach! What a joke!

'I didn't want the job...but somebody had to', pretty much sums it up. He was forced to take on a bad team with all of it's 'lacking talent' and yet he ran head long into it. Burkes brilliance is shining through right there. Knowing full well (in his estimation) that the Bomber head coaching job and team, would be nothing but an anchor in his future, he decided to take it on anyway. I don't know Tim, d co-ordinator looks to be the pinnacle of your abilities. Stick with it.

People on the internet are far to quick to insult and degrade people.  Im just saying Burke came to Winnipeg,did his best, was a HELL of a DC.  He deserves a bit more respect.  A lot of people ripping him, if they saw him in person, would get an autograph and a selfie.

If I saw Tim Burke in public, I'd probably ask him if he thinks I should get my money back for having to watch him crap the bed for an entire season.

Then he'd probably look at me like this.

Tim-Burke2.jpg

or this

WPG-HC-Burke.jpg

or this

940-burke-bombers.jpg

and then I'd probably stare at him for about 30 seconds. and then look at him like this.

140527-_BOMBER_O_SHEA_1__17621689.JPG

Not only did Burke inherit a team lacking in talent but he also got stuck with a green CFL coaching staff held over from LaPo's bad hires. First and foremost was an OC with no clue. A recipe for failure. Don't take a HC job just to be a HC. Make sure the situation and circumstances are right and you have the control in players and staffing to give you the best chance of success. Clearly that was not the case for Burke in Winnipeg. He realized it so give him a break.