Burke

I surprised to see that some folks think that saying nothing but positive things is leading.  It's not.  

Leaders need to be able to sell the dream. Present a plan.  Get buy in.  Be honest with everyone (Not just sunshine and rainbows).  Ensure everyone takes personal responsibility.  Show they are on the right track.  Progress towards the shared goal.  Burke failed at all of them, except the honesty part, and folks around here are raking him over the coals for that.  

Face it folks.  We didn't have the talent on the field, in the coaching staff or in management.  Replacing a HC mid -season, especially when his team finally showed a little something in a game is a bad idea.  Taking on a job you know you are doomed to fail at out of a sense of responsibility is both dumb and somewhat heroic as is being honest to a fault.   

but again, the criticism Burke takes isn't because the team lost games, it's how they lost games. That is what shows him to be a poor coach more than anything. No one is as hard on Lapo as they are on burke because at least Lapo lost close games most times. 

Says you...how much of that 3-15 is Burke's fault? You're justifying conclusions with your personal beliefs. That's way too much of a 17to85 -type of rationale...be better than that STL... 

This is all sorts of stupid. You're putting the entire blame on Burke so you can justify your online fellating of Mack over the past several years.

A 3-15 record tells a story of bad coaching and little talent. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Good coaches make bad players better and good players great. Tim Burke made good players bad and bad players useless. 

Burke is honest to a fault. He clearly is being genuine. It would be easier to lie. He's not throwing anyone under the bus. He's being honest. There are still people on here who whine about Mike Kelly. I wonder how many years will pass before they stop whining about Tim Burke.

Ok you date him then! The rest of us...well not so much...what is Burke really saying? that unless he has a strong team with strong players and a very good quarterback...he is doomed to fail...I guess that is being honest in a way...he is admitting he is a terrible coach! What a joke!

No thats not what he said.  Its one thing to rip on a guy for what he says but you have to make it sound even worse to make your point?  I believe he said one thing he learned was you need talent to compete.  News flash, thats true.

Here's the thing Unknown Poster, Burke has no leadership qualities about him, none. If you think he does, give me some examples. I can give you a thousand examples of why he doesn't, I doubt you can give me one example of a leadership quality about him. As the head coach, it's HIS FREAKING SHOW. Don't you understand that at all? Have you not comprehended what a head coach does? He makes the 'final decisions', he 'sets the tone' for the players. 

Tell, what tone did he set? Please. I'd really like to hear your answer here. Think about it first, and be honest. And lets think back to the Goltz fiasco, when he announced him as the starter for the rest of the year, then 10 days later said he wasn't and said it was the "offense's decision". Does that sound like a leader to you? Does that sound like someone who is taking charge. 

Tim Burke is a damn good DC, no argument there. He can sit back, work on defensive schemes, and then call defenses for various situations. But he can't make decisions outside of that, and he proved it time and time again. As a head coach he was in way over his head. The teams record has nothing to do with it. The 'talent' has nothing to do with it. The issue was the overall attitude of the team, which takes on the personality of the Head Coach. Tell me, how many games last year did the bombers 'compete' in? I'll tell you if don't know  - ONE - the banjo bowl. The other two wins they got was a result of Montreal playing worse than us, not because we played 'better' because we played bad in those games too. 

I can't understand how you can defend him. Now, if Burke had said, in that interview, that he was in over his head, and didn't have the personal experience to run a team in that situation, and that ultimately what happens on the field rests with him, then I'd have gained some respect back. But I lost all my respect for him last year given how he never took responsibility for anything. So this article doesn't change how I feel.

No leadership qualities?  He's a damn good DC.  You dont think that requires leadership?  Maybe a different type of leadership, but to make a blanket statement like that about a guy you dont know if pretty rich.  Its easy to type.

Says you...how much of that 3-15 is Burke's fault? You're justifying conclusions with your personal beliefs. That's way too much of a 17to85 -type of rationale...be better than that STL... 

you are trying to lecture me on believing things just because you believe them? Give me a break. You are the king of making up your mind quickly and never changing it no matter how much evidence presents itself.

and you're crown prince.  :lol:

The issue here isn't Burke's honesty... I think everyone agrees our talent was **** last year.... he's right about that... the issue with what he said was the fact that he deflected ALL the blame elsewhere and did not take any responsibility for his own failings....

he may have been "forced" to take over the team mid-season, which isn't an ideal situation.... but if he didn't want the job to start the 2013 season there was no one holding a gun to his head then (well maybe Mack was, I can't confirm that  :P  ).... point is Burke = good DC, terrible HC

Burke is honest to a fault. He clearly is being genuine. It would be easier to lie. He's not throwing anyone under the bus. He's being honest. There are still people on here who whine about Mike Kelly. I wonder how many years will pass before they stop whining about Tim Burke.

Ok you date him then! The rest of us...well not so much...what is Burke really saying? that unless he has a strong team with strong players and a very good quarterback...he is doomed to fail...I guess that is being honest in a way...he is admitting he is a terrible coach! What a joke!

No thats not what he said.  Its one thing to rip on a guy for what he says but you have to make it sound even worse to make your point?  I believe he said one thing he learned was you need talent to compete.  News flash, thats true.

Not really...you interpret your way..i'll interpret my way...how can you somehow try and make what he said positive about how he failed as a head coach? He said in too many words he had players who were not good enough and that is the reason he failed. Give me a break, he was a terrible head coach, and was always throwing his players under the bus. This is no different!

Hole ona minnut Hole ona minnut rite dare

I know there's a contingent of people who will argue that Burke sucks...

BUT

If they are going to imply that the 2013 Bombers was a team loaded with talent that was mismanaged by the coach, I'm gonna say pump those brakes.

Pretty simple question.  There have been massive changes to this roster from last year, both in the starting 24 and in depth.  Other than the players who are in the NFL right now, which of the players from last year do people want back?

The 2013 Bombers was a weak weak team.

Hole ona minnut Hole ona minnut rite dare

I know there's a contingent of people who will argue that Burke sucks...

BUT

If they are going to imply that the 2013 Bombers was a team loaded with talent that was mismanaged by the coach, I'm gonna say pump those brakes.

Pretty simple question.  There have been massive changes to this roster from last year, both in the starting 24 and in depth.  Other than the players who are in the NFL right now, which of the players from last year do people want back?

The 2013 Bombers was a weak weak team.

Correct....with an even weaker head coach

and nobody is denying that anywhere......but the point is that Burke didn't need to publicly **** on the whole thing. It's completely unnecessary...

If Burke is as skilled an orator in the locker room as he is in front of the media, then head coaching is not his calling.

The point of which is that he seldom has given an interview where he hasn't sounded like he's muddling thru it.

Putting Tim-speak into English, what I take away from that interview was he knew it wasn't a great situation to be in but went ahead with it anyways.

What upsets me most about 2013 isn't Burke or his coaching style, it's that everything about that season was a repeat of the mistake we made with Jim Daley.  Repeating such an obvious stupid mistake.  Giving the interim guy a job because he put up an almost .500 finish to the season.  Stupid.  Include him in the next coaching search if you want, but do the stinking due diligence when it's a position that important.  They just looked at their notes from 2010 and said "Whelp, he came in second to the guy we just fired, therefore he must now be first.  Right?  Duoy!11!"

Good players make good coaches great. Bad players get good coaches fired.

If Burke had been in BC getting the Benevides bump, he'd still be a head coach.  Would that make him a better head coach?  Well, people say you're judged by your record, and his record would have been better....

No matter, he was an average to below average head coach with average to below average talent.  Done deal.  Would have been nice to have a few better pieces to carry in to 2014, but that wasn't really his job.

I've yet to see mention of Burke belittling his players in public, and then making ridiculous statements like Desmond Washington will never return another punt for us again. We may not have been a talented team, but we weren't even competitive the majority of the time. Burke was absolutely one of the worst head coaches in CFL history.

Burke was absolutely one of the worst head coaches in CFL history.

I'm chuckling over here.  No.  He proved that he doesn't have the tools to be a head coach in this league, not even close, but for him to crack that top echelon of Bart Andrus awfulness?  No, he just wasn't that interesting.  His time as head coach will be a footnote in Bomber history.  The truly awful ones get their own chapters.

Good players make good coaches great. Bad players get good coaches fired.

There is no evidence to support that statement. 

Mike Shanahan. Won a bunch of games & two Super Bowls with great players. Then he gets saddled with a terrible Redskins team with an injured starting qb and he looks like a bum.