Burke

Here's Burke throwing ALL the players under the bus. According to him he really played no part in it!

“I didn’t want to take the job but somebody had to ... I knew we didn’t have the talent,” said Burke, who moved from defensive coordinator to replace the fired Paul LaPolice in August, 2012. 

Tim Burke would like a mulligan on his first shot at being a head coach.

The Argonauts defensive co-ordinator said Tuesday in a conference call that he would like “a second chance”.

Burke waited 33 years, working as an assistant in U.S. colleges and with several CFL clubs, before being asked to take over the Blue Bombers in the middle of the 2012 season.

“I didn’t want to take the job but somebody had to ... I knew we didn’t have the talent,” said Burke, who moved from defensive coordinator to replace the fired Paul LaPolice in August, 2012.

He was right. A 7-21 record later, he himself was fired after last season. Now he’s defensive coordinator in Toronto.

“I’d like another shot (as a head coach). Whether I get it, I don’t know,” he said.

Even noted NFL head coach Bill Belichick, he said, didn’t have an auspicious debut. “He had three long seasons in Cleveland and came back and did all right when he got a second chance. I hope I get a second chance.”

I think what Burke said was dead on- he didn't have the talent (quarterback and O-line) and he certainly conducted himself as if he neither wanted to be the head coach nor expected to win.

He may not have had the best talent in some places, but he had plenty of talent in others...He was just too lazy and lacked the talent himself to be a head coach!

He may not have had the players to compete.

He also did not have the coaching experience to compete as a HC.

He didn't have the heart, the drive, or display the passion.

Everyone has a choice.  You don't have to take a HC job.  Accept the fact you were in over your head and stop trying to rationalize the **** pile of a coaching job that he left on the field here.

Burke wasn't wrong describing the lack of talent but then he wasn't a leader either. He couldn't inspire Anthony Robbins on a good day. And saying he didn't know offense so he'd leave the decision up to others? And he wants a second chance? Sure, Tim. Keep dreaming. #littleboylost

It's too bad his loser mentality had to permeate our team and waste a season and a half of our time and money.

Lapolice is probably an average head coach, we'll see what O'Shea becomes as a head coach, but at least they have the mentality of "what can we do to make this team better," not "ho hum, we suck" like Burke.  Just a totally depressing, dark age in Blue Bomber history.

Thanks for posting this. This is great. Can you imagine this clown (and I know clowns) on his next HC job interview? 

You know, I'm really anxious to see what Chris Jones does here. He too is a former DC as everyone knows. I wonder how he'll handle adversity when it happens. 

Mr. Burke, you just realized you put the final nail in your coffin. You'd be he last guy I'd hire - zero accountability

Jones isn't getting off to a great start with the Edmonton media. He sounds like a Kelly clone & that did not end well.

Yes he does, him an Hervey seem to be on a crash course to oblivion themselves. But I still want to see how he handles everything. Will he blame other people? Hell, he might blame Burke lol. 

Jones isn't getting off to a great start with the Edmonton media. He sounds like a Kelly clone & that did not end well.

Yes he does, him an Hervey seem to be on a crash course to oblivion themselves. But I still want to see how he handles everything. Will he blame other people? Hell, he might blame Burke lol. 

I sat beside Jones at a football banquet the day he quit the Stamps & nearly had a dust up with Huff in his office. Nobody knew he had left the team. He was talking to me about coordinating the Stamps off season free agent camps that winter in the US & how much he was looking forward to doing that. Even though he had already resigned to go to the Argos.The news broke the next morning about the messy breakup. I just thought, Hmmm... Why even talk about the Stamps free agent camps to me & how excited he was when he wasn't there anymore? He could have talked about a hundred other general CFL topics.

To his credit, Jones did show up to our high school banquet & gave a nice speech. It couldn't have been a great day for him. It was probably the last place he wanted to be.

He's right about one thing though, it was a mistake to fire Lapo.

Remember when everybody thought he was going to turn the team around because the first practise was up tempo and they did gassers? It was like "well this was the problem all along, we needed up tempo practices and gassers for going offside". Because it's just that obvious.

Three days later 52-0.