2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

Good to see they brought back some late cuts from TC last season that impressed in pre-season.  Also excited to see Ontaria Wilson brought back, his game film looks spectacular against high caliber opponents.

The Blue Bombers also signed American receivers Bryce Mitchell and Ontaria Wilson as well as American defensive linemen Nate Givhan and Jamal Woods.

Mitchell made 70 receptions for 1,297 yards and 11 touchdowns over 52 games at the University of Toledo. The six-foot-three, 210-pound target was named second-team All-MAC in 2019 after leading the Rockets in receiving yards.

Wilson made 108 catches for 1,521 yards and 12 touchdowns over 51 games at Florida State University. The native of Ashburn, Ga. also recorded seven carries for 57 yards and one touchdown along the ground.

Givhan spent a portion of the 2023 season on Winnipeg’s practice roster, though he didn’t dress for any regular season games. The six-foot-two, 239-pound edge rusher made 97 total tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 13 sacks, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, and one interception over 47 collegiate games at the University of Toledo.

Woods made 78 total tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, three pass knockdowns, and one forced fumble over 49 collegiate games at the University of Illinois. The six-foot-two, 290-pound interior defender went unselected in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Winnipeg has also brought back four Canadian players who were selected in the 2023 CFL Draft, including running back Jonathan Rosery, defensive lineman Collin Kornelson, linebacker Max Charbonneau, and defensive back Bret MacDougall.

Rosery, who also plays slotback, led the Alberta Golden Bears in receiving yardage this past season, making 32 catches for 440 yards and three touchdowns. The five-foot-eight, 199-pound native of Edmonton was taken in the seventh round.

Kornelson made 17 total tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery playing along the interior of the defensive line for the Manitoba Bisons. The fifth-round pick missed three of the club’s games due to injury.

Charbonneau won the President’s Award as the outstanding stand-up defensive player in the OUA this past year while playing for the Ottawa Gee-Gees. The eighth-round pick made 62 total tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and one blocked kick.

MacDougall made 30.5 total tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery this past season with the Windsor Lancers. The sixth-round pick helped the club win a home playoff game for the first time since 1975.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

TD Atlantic is now TD Pacific....

Love this idea. 

This actually grows the game because fans (new or existing) can reasonably get to Lions games, unlike the Atlantic game which leads to nothing. 

I would consider going if the Bombers were playing, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Love this idea. 

This actually grows the game because fans (new or existing) can reasonably get to Lions games, unlike the Atlantic game which leads to nothing. 

I would consider going if the Bombers were playing, that's for sure. 

I live just up the road.... might go and mulling it over but would have luv'd it if the Bombers were coming ....Why the damned Redblacks????

8 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I live just up the road.... might go and mulling it over but would have luv'd it if the Bombers were coming ....Why the damned Redblacks????

because neither has a Labour Day match-up (could have been Montreal, too, I suppose) so they're giving them something for that weekend...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

because neither has a Labour Day match-up (could have been Montreal, too, I suppose) so they're giving them something for that weekend...

why doent Ott and Mtl have a labour day throw down...they spitting distance from each other.....Or do the smart thing and slap a team in Quebec City as Quebec is a hot bed of football, and theres the natural rivalry....and let Ott and BC slug it out

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

How ******* hard I will LOLLLLLLLLL if Buck is the only candidate and he turns them down........

Not possible cuz O'Day must have pictures on someone to have received an extension for failing miserably, but the Riders needed to kick O'Day to the curb, demolish the whole system and build new. Craig Dickenson was the least of their worries.

Yuk.

apparently Milanovich wanted the gig, but he "wanted too much control", according to Ted Wyman on Andrew Paterson's podcast this afternoon, so the Losers told him "thanks, but no thanks..."  Curious if that's been an issue with other candidates....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

apparently Milanovich wanted the gig, but he "wanted too much control", according to Ted Wyman on Andrew Paterson's podcast this afternoon, so the Losers told him "thanks, but no thanks..."  Curious if that's been an issue with other candidates....

Like I said CD was the least of their worries. And I'm not even defending CD. He did and said many head scratching things but this goes beyond a head coach matter.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I figured Milanovich would be more interested in the GM position than a HC job under O'Day, Riders blew it again!

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah it's a shitty spot for sure.  O'Day is probably on his last coach.  If they aren't good this year O'Day and the coach probably both get canned.  Anyone stepping in there has to determine if they want to tie their shot at being a head coach (Mace or Pierce) to O'Day's ability to find players.  So far he hasn't built a functional OL.  Drafting has been bad, personnel in general has been bad.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah it's a shitty spot for sure.  O'Day is probably on his last coach.  If they aren't good this year O'Day and the coach probably both get canned.  Anyone stepping in there has to determine if they want to tie their shot at being a head coach (Mace or Pierce) to O'Day's ability to find players.  So far he hasn't built a functional OL.  Drafting has been bad, personnel in general has been bad.

Would a sane person with a functioning cerebral cortex want to work under a GM who is on thin ice before the season starts?

Has it been made official? If I was a Rider fan, I'd be underwhelmed as the team didn't get its first choice in Buck, it seems. Nothing the Riders & their fans want more than to screw over the Bombers & let's face it. The hiring of Buck would have done just that. He'd have brought a couple of assistants & high profile Bomber free agents with him.

Corey Mace is a relatively inexperienced DC. Only been at the job for 2 seasons after a couple of years as DL Coach in Calgary. He was fed great players to coach in Toronto defensively as they always have big signings as free agents as the salary cap means nothing to that team because the league seemingly always looks away. We'll see how Mace does with a team bereft of talent with a horrible culture of failure & "Me First" player attitudes. In an organization that  doesn't have a silver spoon in its mouth like the Argos have. I don't know if Mace is ready. I suspect that he isn't. Glad it's Mace. He's gonna need a miracle to fix the Riders.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Has it been made official? If I was a Rider fan, I'd be underwhelmed as the team didn't get its first choice in Buck, it seems. Nothing the Riders & their fans want more than to screw over the Bombers & let's face it. The hiring of Buck would have done just that. He'd have brought a couple of assistants & high profile Bomber free agents with him.

Corey Mace is a relatively inexperienced DC. Only been at the job for 2 seasons after a couple of years as DL Coach in Calgary. He was fed great players to coach in Toronto defensively as they always have big signings as free agents as the salary cap means nothing to that team because the league seemingly always looks away. We'll see how Mace does with a team bereft of talent with a horrible culture of failure & "Me First" player attitudes in an organization that  doesn't have a silver spoon in its mouth like the Argos had. I don't know if Mace is ready. I suspect that he isn't. Good luck to him. Glad it's Mace. 

O'Day is playing 4D chess. He's a genius and his perceived incompetence is just a facade. 

- Ballsy, probably. 

I mean BLM is going to love playing for Buck. 🤣

I am absolutely convinced, based on everything we've read, that the Losers chose Buck and told Mace no thanks... Then the Bombers found a way to keep Pierce with more money etc.... and then the Losers were ****** and had no options so they had to go back to Mace and apologize because he was the only option.

Edited by Noeller