2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I work in a union then why would I want my union dues to finace my union leader's or some other union leader's fetish to own a team with someone else's money? I'd say **** him.

Like JBR was saying, it’s more of a promotion/sponsor-ish thing than owning. It was poor phrasing on my part. 
I’m more so meaning discounted season ticket packages, merch at different union shops/businesses. There’s a huge amount of staff at a lot of these places. 

We had something like that going for a while with the Bombers at my place of work.
Anecdotally, it got a lot of folks buying tickets who wouldn’t have normally. Also got a few newer Canadians into the game, which never hurts. 

On 2023-11-25 at 12:34 AM, CodyT said:

10th market would do wonders in bringing hype to the cfl..for a short period of time. 

I don't know the history in Calgary but have they ever been exceptionally well attended? Not since I've been watching the cfl.. even when they were "the team" to beat 

Is that a stadium issue or is that calgary becoming a Toronto and not giving a **** about the cfl?

Only thing that might be problematic with an East coast team is that half the RIders fan base is Newfies that moved there, and who knows where there allegiance might be if there was an East coast team. Just kidding...sort of.

On 2023-11-25 at 1:08 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

If I work in a union then why would I want my union dues to finace my union leader's or some other union leader's fetish to own a team with someone else's money? I'd say **** him.

It's not that simple. The fanbase in Calgary want a new stadium but it's fallen on deaf ears from ownership to local poliricians for a quarter of a century. Stamps fans see other CFL cities get new buildings. They don't so now they're staying home as McMahon is a dump with no atmosphere or buzz, They're tired of all their stars walking in free agency because the owner doean't care. They're talking with their wallets. & won't buy tickets. Now, James Vaughters has signed a 2 year deal this past week so maybe Murray Edwards has finally clued in. Management is a mess. Dickenson can't handle being a HC & GM. He was told by Hufnagel that he had to take on more than just being the HC because of the Coaches & Admin cap & so he did. 

Not at all what I was implying. Unions are great organizers, are very ideologically aligned with community ownership, and have the resources to greatly aid ticket drives etc to save the current ownership model. However, if you are talking about unions owning sports franchises it is a pretty prevalent practice really. Although, that is not what I was referring to at all in this case.

9 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Anybody hear or read the rumour that if Buck takes the Ridwer job, he'd take Younger as his DC and Brown as his QB? I emphasize the word rumour. Would hate to see it.

It's Rider fan speculation and wet dreaming. Hell, we gave Ottawa permission to talk to Buck last year and he flat out told them he wasn't interested. We have no idea if he is even interested in the Rider job. It would not shock me to see Richie retire this offseason and Younger is our man here. Would Younger leave Winnipeg for the Riders for the same job, I very much doubt it.

Edited by GCn20

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's Rider fan speculation and wet dreaming. Hell, we gave Ottawa permission to talk to Buck last year and he flat out told them he wasn't interested. We have no idea if he is even interested in the Rider job. It would not shock me to see Richie retire this offseason and Younger is our man here. Would Younger leave Winnipeg for the Riders for the same job, I very much doubt it.

The only thing I could see motivating them to make the leap is a drastic increase in pay for position promotion, they could both potentially double their salaries.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

The only thing I could see motivating them to make the leap is a drastic increase in pay for position promotion, they could both potentially double their salaries.

Pay raise, plus it's sort of a free-hit, isn't it? Like, if they take a year or two to rebuild, nobody will be looking to fire them so long as there's a process in place that gives the Riders a chance to improve year-on-year.

Bigger paycheque and lower expectations is a nice combo to offer a candidate.

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It came from Justin Dunk, originally. 

Obviously I have always expected Younger to be the heir apparent, but If Hall isn't retiring this year, I don't know why Younger wouldn't take the opportunity to take the promotion.

That said, I feel like Buck isn't even O'Days first choice. So we'll see if Buck is even given the choice to accept or refuse.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Pay raise, plus it's sort of a free-hit, isn't it? Like, if they take a year or two to rebuild, nobody will be looking to fire them so long as there's a process in place that gives the Riders a chance to improve year-on-year.

Bigger paycheque and lower expectations is a nice combo to offer a candidate.

Not in Sask. they'll start to tear the barn down before they get around to cladding it.  They're most comfortable being miserable and unhappy.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It came from Justin Dunk, originally. 

That said, I feel like Buck isn't even O'Days first choice. So we'll see if Buck is even given the choice to accept or refuse.

Yeah ...whatever happened to smiley Burris as their top dog....After all the guy now has nfl pedigree

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Not in Sask. they'll start to tear the barn down before they get around to cladding it.  They're most comfortable being miserable and unhappy.

Under the normal run of things, that's true.

I think that two consecutive seasons of finishing with seven losses in a row would be more than enough to justify a hard reset and buy some growth time for a new regime.

(and I think that O'Day will be counting on that as well)

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

A guy leaving one place just cant take dudes with him...not how that works.....

Of course not, but any HC candidate will be expected to share who is plans are for filling out his staff, so he would be expected to have those conversations before his interview.

You can chose not to believe Dunk, but it’s not inconceivable that Buck has had that conversation with Younger. The Bombers wouldn’t prevent him from leaving for a promotion.

On 2023-11-25 at 12:34 AM, CodyT said:

10th market would do wonders in bringing hype to the cfl..for a short period of time. 

I don't know the history in Calgary but have they ever been exceptionally well attended? Not since I've been watching the cfl.. even when they were "the team" to beat 

Is that a stadium issue or is that calgary becoming a Toronto and not giving a **** about the cfl?

Hype doesn't matter if the cash flows do not exist to operate teams.  The league will be operating them or folding them as we've seen repeatedly in the history of this league.  I'm not sure why seeking out a 10th market that would be in this position almost from the jump is celebrated by so many.

BC, Montreal, Calgary, Hamilton, Toronto right now only exist as long as their owners accept negative cash flows....meaning the revenue possible from operations cannot cover the operation of the franchise currently.  These franchises have spent 30+ years in this pool of red ink.  Edmonton is there too right now although they historically have not been.  There's a **** load of work to do in existing markets.  It's laughable that a CFL commissioner with a league in the state it is currently would be spending a single minute thinking about expansion, particularly when there is no money behind it.

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Buck rejected the riders overtures once or twice in the past too. 
 I can’t imagine mace or buck taking that job. But it’s also strange that both finalists wouldn’t be willing to take the job if offered. And if buck goes I’d be surprised if he didn’t take some guys with.  I just hope one isn’t Costello or jy. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Buck rejected the riders overtures once or twice in the past too. 
 I can’t imagine mace or buck taking that job. But it’s also strange that both finalists wouldn’t be willing to take the job if offered. And if buck goes I’d be surprised if he didn’t take some guys with.  I just hope one isn’t Costello or jy. 

Despite how terrible the job is, you’re obviously going to be taking over a terrible team when you’re first hired as a HC.

This year is slightly different than last years people rejecting the Rider overtures as O’Day has been signed for a three year deal.