2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

If they've made it to this point of the hiring process, they obviously both want the job. And they want it because they want to be HCs and they want and deserve pay raises. Because of the management SMS, they can't be properly bumped with their current teams so they have to go elsewhere and take promotions to get what they deserve. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

If you're either Mace or Buck, why would you want to be tied to ODay as your GM. He's proven he can't bring talent, especially on the oline, doesn't draft well and has to be on his last chance?

No one signs a new head coach because their team is already in a great position.

You have to believe in yourself that you can get the job done and turn the ship around. Buck watched it happen here and probably believes he can do the same elsewhere.

Would make me sick to my stomach to see him in green though.

17 minutes ago, Jesse said:

No one signs a new head coach because their team is already in a great position.

You have to believe in yourself that you can get the job done and turn the ship around. Buck watched it happen here and probably believes he can do the same elsewhere.

Exactly, unless these guys were considering finding work outside the CFL there weren't a lot of opportunities available.  No turnover in GM ranks this season but could be a few next year if teams don't show improvement. 

36 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah why doesn’t he just go to Ottawa just like everybody else. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Buck rejected the riders overtures once or twice in the past too. 
 I can’t imagine mace or buck taking that job. But it’s also strange that both finalists wouldn’t be willing to take the job if offered. And if buck goes I’d be surprised if he didn’t take some guys with.  I just hope one isn’t Costello or jy. 

Costello loves it in Winnipeg. He is not going anywhere.

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Costello loves it in Winnipeg. He is not going anywhere.

So does buck. He’s been here longer than most every one including mos.

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

If they've made it to this point of the hiring process, they obviously both want the job. And they want it because they want to be HCs and they want and deserve pay raises. Because of the management SMS, they can't be properly bumped with their current teams so they have to go elsewhere and take promotions to get what they deserve. 

thats what id tend to believe. Though it does happen that guys go through the process to get experience. Normally when that happens you hear them quickly pull their name out from final consideration though. 

If I was in that position deciding between mace and buck I’d take mace. Defensive guys tend to do a better job of working with asts to run a D and team where offensive guys imo struggle more with micro managing every thing. Offence in all football is what sells and draws. If you’re an offensive coach and become a hc you really need to own the offence. Fans expect dynamic exciting offence right away, no matter general success. 

Personally id rather have a more polished none plop disciple as oc. I think buck needs more polishing as an oc little on a hc. He hasn’t been able to reign in Zach or calm him down. Idk how he’s going to manage defensive players or veteran coaches under him. 

Though if buck leaves I expect him to go hard after our key offensive free agents. Brady, brown, Bailey, lawler and schoen. And I expect him to get more than one or two of our guys. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

thats what id tend to believe. Though it does happen that guys go through the process to get experience. Normally when that happens you hear them quickly pull their name out from final consideration though. 

If I was in that position deciding between mace and buck I’d take mace. Defensive guys tend to do a better job of working with asts to run a D and team where offensive guys imo struggle more with micro managing every thing. Offence in all football is what sells and draws. If you’re an offensive coach and become a hc you really need to own the offence. Fans expect dynamic exciting offence right away, no matter general success. 

Personally id rather have a more polished none plop disciple as oc. I think buck needs more polishing as an oc little on a hc. He hasn’t been able to reign in Zach or calm him down. Idk how he’s going to manage defensive players or veteran coaches under him. 

Though if buck leaves I expect him to go hard after our key offensive free agents. Brady, brown, Bailey, lawler and schoen. And I expect him to get more than one or two of our guys. 

Brady will play for the Bombers or the NFL. That's it. 

I could see Bailey and Brown going with him though.

Lawler isn't a FA.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Lawler isn't a FA.

Yeah, if Brady hits fa though buck could drive the price up on him to the point it costs us some one like schoen/lawler. 
 Bailey, brown, bolo, gmc, Augustine, and ol like kola and Richmond are the most likely to get lured away if buck goes. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah, if Brady hits fa though buck could drive the price up on him to the point it costs us some one like schoen/lawler
 Bailey, brown, bolo, gmc, Augustine, and ol like kola and Richmond are the most likely to get lured away if buck goes. 

Lawler isn't a FA.

I don't think Brady even considers other teams offers honestly. He's Blue and Gold through and through.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The pay bump that might move Buck is not really comparable to what Costello might get.

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The pay bump that might move Buck is not really comparable to what Costello might get.

In general the front office cap is gonna be real tight here. If we have to replace buck and do it internally, we will also need a qb coach. That will bring things even tighter. If we fill from out side that wont be cheap either. 
 A team with an empty staff could offer more flexibility for buck to offer to Costello. If buck runs his own offence mainly then he could give Costello co ordinator money 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I dont....I have no concerns with any key guy following a coach anywhere...Nobody did with Lapo...and nobody will here either

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lawler isn't a FA.

bROWN won't be going there...They have Harris under contract, for big coin, and what new HC is gonna roll the dice and hope an upstart isn't just a benefactor of the environment and team he is with?...They are gonna want a experienced QB and thankfully they have Harris and likely keep him, cause he is garbage and not the future there...so this song and dance is gonna continue there...for a few more years...and as mentioned BO is here...or nowhere.....thats if the NFL things doesnt pan out....and I'd be shocked if it panned out

31 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

In general the front office cap is gonna be real tight here. If we have to replace buck and do it internally, we will also need a qb coach. That will bring things even tighter. If we fill from out side that wont be cheap either. 
 A team with an empty staff could offer more flexibility for buck to offer to Costello. If buck runs his own offence mainly then he could give Costello co ordinator money 

cap is tight league wide...and lots of teams are not happy about it....only gonna be minimal lateral movement, and this is playing right into what league and governors wanted....consistency and tenure in coaching staffs

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I dont....I have no concerns with any key guy following a coach anywhere...Nobody did with Lapo...and nobody will here either

bROWN won't be going there...They have Harris under contract, for big coin, and what new HC is gonna roll the dice and hope an upstart isn't just a benefactor of the environment and team he is with?...They are gonna want a experienced QB and thankfully they have Harris and likely keep him, cause he is garbage and not the future there...so this song and dance is gonna continue there...for a few more years...and as mentioned BO is here...or nowhere.....thats if the NFL things doesnt pan out....and I'd be shocked if it panned out

cap is tight league wide...and lots of teams are not happy about it....only gonna be minimal lateral movement, and this is playing right into what league and governors wanted....consistency and tenure in coaching staffs

I don’t think plop had a group that was his guys. Buck might not only fine will tell. Idk what the chances are he actually leaves either. Maybe 25%?

it is tight, I hate it soo much. It should atleast just be coaches with another for front office and scouts with no multi tier Chris jones poison pill contracts. 
 I think what it’s gonna lead to is more asts and cos getting poached by the xfl/usfl and ncaa. Xfl has been paying 500k us, with those lower taxes since its return and I can see that going up. I doubt even Chris jones is making that. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

He could give coordinator money, but a rookie HC running his own offence will almost certainly end in disaster. Hopefully, Buck is not that foolish for his sake.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah, if Brady hits fa though buck could drive the price up on him to the point it costs us some one like schoen/lawler. 

He could, but that just as risky for BO as it is for the Bombers when you play that game. BO wants to be a Bomber a heckuva lot more than he would want to follow Pierce to Sask. I think the attraction to follow coaches is overstated. Players that love their locker room tend to stay no matter who their coordinators are or where they might go. Double that up with BO being a Winnipeg boy thru and thru...

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He could give coordinator money, but a rookie HC running his own offence will almost certainly end in disaster. Hopefully, Buck is not that foolish for his sake.

He could, but that just as risky for BO as it is for the Bombers when you play that game. BO wants to be a Bomber a heckuva lot more than he would want to follow Pierce to Sask. I think the attraction to follow coaches is overstated. Players that love their locker room tend to stay no matter who their coordinators are or where they might go. Double that up with BO being a Winnipeg boy thru and thru...

Players stay or a bunch of reasons...but generally its team environment/culture...how upper management treats them, and just not on the field, and for their brothers.........I not afraid of a player chasing a coach somewhere.....If we had a team of Merc's sure...but we dont

Many of you also think it's just Osh as to why they stay/like it here...and it's not...Starts with Miller and how these guys are treated here, and their families accommodated for....

Can't ever see Buck going to work for a weak gm, who according to a lot of green fans should have been turfed along with Dickie boy...Hardly a situtation I would want to go/get into considering what we have in the Peg.....BUT his choice and he is one of the finalists....Mace seems the more likely candidate as defensive minded is more what riders should be seeking....

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Players stay or a bunch of reasons...but generally its team environment/culture...how upper management treats them, and just not on the field, and for their brothers.........I not afraid of a player chasing a coach somewhere.....If we had a team of Merc's sure...but we dont

Many of you also think it's just Osh as to why they stay/like it here...and it's not...Starts with Miller and how these guys are treated here, and their families accommodated for....

For sure. Our entire organization is first class and a helluva lot better than our neighbor's to the West....and we know the dressing room is light years ahead of their's.

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Can't ever see Buck going to work for a weak gm, who according to a lot of green fans should have been turfed along with Dickie boy...Hardly a situtation I would want to go/get into considering what we have in the Peg.....BUT his choice and he is one of the finalists....Mace seems the more likely candidate as defensive minded is more what riders should be seeking....

If he gets a 3 year contract I think a weak GM would be a great thing for any coach coming in. Hear me out. With the coaching hard cap in place, and O'Day having a team out written into his contract that allows them to tear up his term, it means either O'Day performs well and Buck is given the tools to succeed, or he stay the course and O'Day is the guy in the crosshairs not the new coach. The very worst that can happen in this scenario is that O'Day gets fired and the new guy decides to eat his salary on the coaching cap. Buck gets another 2 years of HC money to come home to Winnipeg in whatever capacity. However, the likelihood is that the coaches are all safe, and Buck gets a big say in O'Day's replacement or perhaps even offered the job himself. There really is no risk in walking into that kind of situation for Buck because the likelihood of him getting fired for performance is very low, as next year's team performance will be squarely on O'Day unless Buck is an absolute tire fire.

Edited by GCn20

58 minutes ago, Booch said:

The culture definitely starts with wade. Mos and walters are here because they fit the culture wade wanted. Mos certainly is a big factor for how the room actually runs, but he wouldn’t be here if it didn’t run the way wade wanted it to. 
 It’s said a lot in the working world that people quit bosses, money is often an excuse as to why people leave. Buts people in all fields mostly want quality of life.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

happens a lot. From khari, to June jones and dinwiddie and Dickinson. Idk when you’d have seen an offensive co become a hc for the first time and not have hands all over the offence and functionally run it. 

Not really for Brady it’s pretty win win for him. He can get a lawler Esq offer from ssk and sign for 50k less here and get 50 more than he likely would’ve. 
 I mean from their stand point it only makes sense for the riders to offer him a ridiculous contract too. If I was most western teams I’d offer him 250k with ease. 

24 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The culture definitely starts with wade. Mos and walters are here because they fit the culture wade wanted. Mos certainly is a big factor for how the room actually runs, but he wouldn’t be here if it didn’t run the way wade wanted it to. 
 It’s said a lot in the working world that people quit bosses, money is often an excuse as to why people leave. Buts people in all fields mostly want quality of life.

happens a lot. From khari, to June jones and dinwiddie and Dickinson. Idk when you’d have seen an offensive co become a hc for the first time and not have hands all over the offence and functionally run it. 

Not really for Brady it’s pretty win win for him. He can get a lawler Esq offer from ssk and sign for 50k less here and get 50 more than he likely would’ve. 
 I mean from their stand point it only makes sense for the riders to offer him a ridiculous contract too. If I was most western teams I’d offer him 250k with ease. 

If you were a Western team you would have yourself a 250k running back then. Good luck with that. You think that the Riders offering something ridiculous moves us off our SMS? Ask Kenny Lawler if it will.

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It all started with Wade...he was the guy who turned the switch on...when he looked at things, and saw the way things were being done he was pretty livid...and embarrased....

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If you were a Western team you would have yourself a 250k running back then. Good luck with that. You think that the Riders offering something ridiculous moves us off our SMS? Ask Kenny Lawler if it will.

BO wont get much more than 185...maybe 205k here in Canada....hardly debilitating

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

It all started with Wade...he was the guy who turned the switch on...when he looked at things, and saw the way things were being done he was pretty livid...and embarrased....

BO wont get much more than 185...maybe 205k here in Canada....hardly debilitating

I doubt he even gets that. Harris kind of set the bar during his success at 165k and the cap hasn't really moved much since then....and definitely Wade opened up the toolbox and cash to help make this the best organization in the CFL. It was his vision for sure in so far as player treatment.

just responding to the idea that someone is going to make a blindside 250k offer to BO that drives our price way up. Nope, it won't. Bombers will shake hands with BO and wish him luck and whatever team makes said ridiculous offer will be holding the bag on that one....and in a year from now when he wants to come back we will get him at a proper price. It would be a Kenny Lawler situation all over again and I think every team in the CFL knows that.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

If Buck hasn't pulled himself out of the race at this point, he's in it to win it.

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

If Buck hasn't pulled himself out of the race at this point, he's in it to win it.

it's really funny to me how people seem to think that Buck has made it to the final 2 somehow against his will..... if he's made it this far, he REALLY wants the job. 

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I doubt he even gets that. Harris kind of set the bar during his success at 165k and the cap hasn't really moved much since then....and definitely Wade opened up the toolbox and cash to help make this the best organization in the CFL. It was his vision for sure in so far as player treatment.

just responding to the idea that someone is going to make a blindside 250k offer to BO that drives our price way up. Nope, it won't. Bombers will shake hands with BO and wish him luck and whatever team makes said ridiculous offer will be holding the bag on that one....and in a year from now when he wants to come back we will get him at a proper price. It would be a Kenny Lawler situation all over again and I think every team in the CFL knows that.

yeah I was shooting very high end salary...and if a team makes tht offer in the tamper period..they have to abide by it if we dont match or beat...so that would be playing russian roulette if someone tried that...

Just now, Noeller said:

it's really funny to me how people seem to think that Buck has made it to the final 2 somehow against his will..... if he's made it this far, he REALLY wants the job. 

if he goes...he goes...we be fine...also cant see a first time HC taking on the dual role either...that would be suicide...especially with that mess