Week 11 - Blue Bombers (7-2) @ stumps(3-6) - GDT

58 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It works when it dribbles out of bounds or at the very least corners the returner close to the sidelines. If not, coverage team is hooped.

Yeah but 1 out of 5...and with 2 usually illegal kicks...not worth it...the other guy has trick punts like that...plus punts with major hang time..I think he's the better all.arlund punter...we been getting killed on the field position game within the game...and with Grant out and the reluctance to swap out a shitty returner.......it will continue and cost us a game....and prob the game we can't afford to drop a deuce on

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Yeah but 1 out of 5...and with 2 usually illegal kicks...not worth it...the other guy has trick punts like that...plus punts with major hang time..I think he's the better all.arlund punter...we been getting killed on the field position game within the game...and with Grant out and the reluctance to swap out a shitty returner.......it will continue and cost us a game....and prob the game we can't afford to drop a deuce on

All these discussions we have had over the last few years about our place place kickers, punters and ST coverages/returns once again emphasizes the problem a team will take on if they short change that phase of the game when deciding the makeup of your team.

Very disappointing showing from 2 of our backup qbs. ...leaving me wondering why the hell did we get rid of Pigrome.....Horrible play calling ....dropped snaps and near interceptions had me cursing at the television....Not quite ready for primetime for sure regarding Brown and Prukop who we should have left in the states....Very fortunate to squeak that one out and if it wasn't for Castillo and the D. this one was 2 pts. in Cals. column.....This was a game to forget and move on from, and I hope to hell Zacks injury is short lived..

Ppl shitting on Brown is weird. It was plus 3 with the wind. It's plus 27 here. 

It was plus 34 in Calgary the day b4. 

The weather was a factor last night 

17 of 27 for 171 plus 123 rushing = o put up almost 300 yards  

Dude was better than McCheese

Edited by Goalie

12 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's funny you say that. Cause it could be argued that his return literally won this close game 

McCrae did as many things poorly as well. If he is the best we can do for punt returns, we are in trouble there.

52 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Very disappointing showing from 2 of our backup qbs. ...leaving me wondering why the hell did we get rid of Pigrome.....Horrible play calling ....dropped snaps and near interceptions had me cursing at the television....Not quite ready for primetime for sure regarding Brown and Prukop who we should have left in the states....Very fortunate to squeak that one out and if it wasn't for Castillo and the D. this one was 2 pts. in Cals. column.....This was a game to forget and move on from, and I hope to hell Zacks injury is short lived..

Pigrome was a project who showed well in very limitied action. Did he do well enough to be kept around? Uncertain, but Dru did himself no favours last night.

Edited by Tracker

59 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Pigrome who was last season getting stuffed twice on short yardage to lose a game in Regina.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Pigrome who was last season getting stuffed twice on short yardage to lose a game in Regina.

If  memory serves, there was no hole at all for him to squirt through. He hit a wall of defenders and maybe scooted around the end, but he was likely told to go through the A or B gaps.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Ppl shitting on Brown is weird. It was plus 3 with the wind. It's plus 27 here. 

It was plus 34 in Calgary the day b4. 

The weather was a factor last night 

17 of 27 for 171 plus 123 rushing = o put up almost 300 yards  

Dude was better than McCheese

Yeah what they needed to do to keep Calgary on their heels in the passing game was complete the deep ball. We didn't get much of that at all and I'd imagine the wind/weather played a part in that. Allowed the Calgary DBs to make a lot of plays in front of them.

Calgary completed a few chuck and pray balls. Props to them. But those often go the other way against our DBs.

Overall Im mostly disappointed in Brown because he threw a couple right into the hands of Calgary DBs and we were fortunate enough they dropped them. Not a good game for Brown but could have been worse.

58 minutes ago, Tracker said:

McCrae did as many things poorly as well. If he is the best we can do for punt returns, we are in trouble there.

Pigrome was a project who showed well in very limitied action. Did he do well enough to be kept around? Uncertain, but Dru did himself no favours last night.

He's looked just fine doing the Prukop role in Ottawa..behind an inferior line...

And yeah last night was not ideal weather...that being said playoff weather will be worse so that's not an excuse worth spit for Brown..our scheme also did him no favors....but even then he looked kinda beffudled. And said before..some his out passes make me cringe...he's learning and slowly developing...but we are screwed if we need him long term or if ZC goes out for yr

It's really funny how this past week we've been wringing our hands about how good Dru Brown is and how we can't afford to keep him after this year and he's gonna be a star someplace else...yada yada. Now there's talk about him being terrible and we should have kept Pigrome.... Oi. 

Just now, Noeller said:

It's really funny how this past week we've been wringing our hands about how good Dru Brown is and how we can't afford to keep him after this year and he's gonna be a star someplace else...yada yada. Now there's talk about him being terrible and we should have kept Pigrome.... Oi. 

Well....i never said that...if anything I said he isn't the heir apparent and has yet to wow me

Brown us OK, I'll stick with my Kevin Glenn comparison. 

Really wasn't impressed with the game plan they gave him and after being stymied a  it you could see the confidence wasn't there. Like a lot of young qbs he has ups and downs and momentum is a big part of it. Lawler was able to get a toe down in the endzone I bet the game goes entirely different for him.

13 hours ago, bustamente said:

Sheehan punts the ball like he is playing Aussie Rules, short and low kicks get you killed in the return game

Stumps' big return in the 3rd ( I think) was when he punted one that came down almost in the middle of the field...can't do that!

Sheehan is also our holder for Sergio so doubtful he get replaced. But I do think we have another global kicker on the PR

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't think that's a good idea.   Brown wasn't terrible he still showed way more then a guy like Crum.   He just looked like a guy making his 2nd ever start and still has much more room to grow.    He may want to start on another team next year but I don't think he's ready nor does he have the physical tools to survive an onslaught.   When Mike Reilly started he was a big dude and had a cannon arm, so he can on his own make things happen.   I don't see that in Brown.   

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

After he outduels the starting QB in a place we couldn't win for 15 years.

Even if Dru Brown doesn't take another snap this season he'll have 6 offers on the table to be a starting QB in this league next February.

We do...and Castillo isn't picky like Medlock...so someone else can easily hold for him...that won't be..or shouldn't be the limiting factor

I get that he is trying to do the Aussie style kicks and look for the bounce backward...or sideways...but it fails more often than it benefits us...maybe do it the odd time to.keep a team off balance...but in a game where u losing field position battle...or u need a big deep kick to make getting into field goal range my ore than 1...or 1 first downs them you need to blast one deep and place it between old hash and sidelines...crazy wild concept but many guys can do that...and as a pro punter...if you can't...then u shouldn't be on a roster...again...if that's the case that's a coaching and roster deficiency...same with returner...we almost gave ball away on a punt late in game where McRae barely secured it inside the 10...and then we're lucky as hell to not have him meas up the missed fg and surrender 1 point and have to go into O.T

We been so so lucky on defence that none of the Jeff's or Walker went down in game...cause we would be royally screwed...like in a major way

Wilson luckily is back in form and is mitigating some of the deficiencies there and cleaning up the run plays and generally being in right spots to.force the runner into the fray...but putting a bandaide on a wound that requires stitches isn't solving the issue...and did anyone notice Jackson and what a key role he played....I didn't...so not needed

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I don't think that's a good idea.   Brown wasn't terrible he still showed way more then a guy like Crum.   He just looked like a guy making his 2nd ever start and still has much more room to grow.    He may want to start on another team next year but I don't think he's ready nor does he have the physical tools to survive an onslaught.   When Mike Reilly started he was a big dude and had a cannon arm, so he can on his own make things happen.   I don't see that in Brown.   

Ottawa, Hamilton, Sask, Calgary, Edmonton he's their starter TODAY.  How the **** can you say the guy is not ready?  Do you watch the league at all?

Of course a young QB has room to grow.  The guy has all the tools and the mindset.  There are always ups and downs and that includes the game conditions.  Brown has won every meaningful game he's played in this league, 2 in relief when he came in with the Bombers behind, 2 as a starter.  Only loss last year in BC when we sat most of our OL, Grant and others. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

We been so so lucky on defence that none of the Jeff's or Walker went down in game...cause we would be royally screwed...like in a major way

Walker we'd be really screwed.  The ends I think they'd rotate Cole and Maruo as rush ends.  They've been doing that anyway along with putting Bighill on the edge at times too last night in a bear front with 3 DT's.  Calgary couldn't block 5 on 5 and their backs having to bounce so much freed up Wilson and Alexander to make plays.  Was the best schemed game I've seen for our D this year.  If they did that stuff in Ottawa along with the (more, because Willie still kind of freelancing a bunch) patient pass rush it's an easy win.

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ottawa, Hamilton, Sask, Calgary, Edmonton he's their starter TODAY.  How the **** can you say the guy is not ready?  Do you watch the league at all?

Of course a young QB has room to grow.  The guy has all the tools and the mindset.  There are always ups and downs and that includes the game conditions.  Brown has won every meaningful game he's played in this league, 2 in relief when he came in with the Bombers behind, 2 as a starter.  Only loss last year in BC when we sat most of our OL, Grant and others. 

I think too we are seeing more distance between our 2nd and 3rd string qb now that Brown is actually playing meaningful downs.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

This.

just way, way too early to be making any firm judgements on Brown. Except that he did show tremendous potential in his game in Edmonton. Which is more than you can say for the vast majority of rookie QBs who come in. Many come in and if they have any success at all it is because they just run, run, and run (see Crum) but that is not what he did.

So I’d say we should all just take a breath… 😊

43 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Walker we'd be really screwed.  The ends I think they'd rotate Cole and Maruo as rush ends.  They've been doing that anyway along with putting Bighill on the edge at times too last night in a bear front with 3 DT's.  Calgary couldn't block 5 on 5 and their backs having to bounce so much freed up Wilson and Alexander to make plays.  Was the best schemed game I've seen for our D this year.  If they did that stuff in Ottawa along with the (more, because Willie still kind of freelancing a bunch) patient pass rush it's an easy win.

They not ideal tho...but manageable...but agreed...best scheme this yr

Having Rose and Wilson back is huge...have hardly heard Rose name other than in run support and a few random passes...as teams have not been going that way...especially when it's him and Nichols in tandem.

Teams have been going after the area with Kramdi...Holm and Houston...hence the high target numbers and high tackles...and high completion percentage against them...and Wilson last game was everywhere and getting his groove back...he looked basically back to form...and helps out the overall defensive scheme big time 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Wpg record 8 -2

MBB contemplating the way ahead:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c68t135rp9h93uf74s

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Do you think he starting for Edmonton,  Hamilton and Ottawa that his play would make any difference to the current situation that t hose teams have?     Maybe in Saskatchewan because they have some talent at receiver and I do think they have decent rbs.      

I'm not saying that they wouldn't pay him to start... I don't see him succeeding with any of those teams unless they drastically change the look of what they currently have.