Week 9 - Lions @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The Bombers believing in and taking a chance on Collaros should go down as one of the best moves made in the CFL in recent history.

I was just reading back to recall what we traded for him and saw that the deal was finalized 1 minute before the trade deadline: https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/argonauts-trade-quarterback-zach-collaros-blue-bombers/

But that trade cost us Theren Churchill and Dylen Griffin. At least we got Marc Liegghio out of it to make the deal worthwhile 😆

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The Bombers believing in and taking a chance on Collaros should go down as one of the best moves made in the CFL in recent history.

No Bomber fan was too excited if I recall. Most called it a desperation move.

Worked out beautifully, I think having the 2020 season off was the best possible thing for him.

19 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Worked out beautifully, I think having the 2020 season off was the best possible thing for him.

I was pretty excited and so were a lot of other Bomber fans. I think it was your fan base calling it a desperation move.

Bomber fans fully realized we were a hit away from McGuire leading us into the playoffs and most of us were clamoring for a vet backup to be brought in. If the Collaros trade thread were brought up right now you would see most Bomber fans were quite alright with the trade.

Over at Riderfans you guys were cackling with glee that we picked up the QB you guys were blaming for the Riders not being able to hoist the Grey Cup.

The 2nd biggest highlight of 2019 was that we won the cup with the QB the Riders were too stupid to keep. Long live the JOD era!

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I was pretty excited and so were a lot of other Bomber fans. I think it was your fan base calling it a desperation move.

Bomber fans fully realized we were a hit away from McGuire leading us into the playoffs and most of us were clamoring for a vet backup to be brought in. If the Collaros trade thread were brought up right now you would see most Bomber fans were quite alright with the trade.

Incorrect. There was plenty of negativity about that trade. Said thread is very entertaining.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Over at Riderfans you guys were cackling with glee that we picked up the QB you guys were blaming for the Riders not being able to hoist the Grey Cup.

The 2nd biggest highlight of 2019 was that we won the cup with the QB the Riders were too stupid to keep. Long live the JOD era!

The reactions are very “blah” with a lot of people saying he was too injured, some saying he flat out isn’t good, and some being alright with it.

I say again, it has worked out incredible for the Bombers, who with their elite OLine have largely kept Zach clean, and created what is likely one of the best comeback stories not just in the CFL, but in sports.

Seeing Zach get that headshot from Lawrence in week one of 2019 was devastating, especially after the cheap shot from Odell Willis in 2018.

Bless the Argo doctors who found something in his neck that needed adjusting, and began the turnaround.

10 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Incorrect. There was plenty of negativity about that trade. Said thread is very entertaining.

It’s a great read, @Booch gave me a chuckle when he said “I’m happier with having marshmallow head at QB than just Streveler” 

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Yup, count me in the camp of "meh, he's done" camp... boy was I ever wrong... and never been happier to be that wrong.

I bought a ZC8 jersey to atone.

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

On 2023-08-04 at 2:15 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

I watched Boudreau run angrily down the sidelines and give him **** after that.  Then O'Shea pulled him aside too.

They were working on the NFL-style tap out in practice early in the week.

I like it *if* you save it from going into the end zone. Giving it to them at the 17 (ie. touch it at the 2 and give the 15-yard No Yards) is better than a single point + possession at the 40.

3 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

When the game was on vs BC, I thought the same thing. He was the one player who would have benefited from the time off.

10 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I disagree… reactions ranged from “desperation move for a washed up player” to “we didn’t give up much so it can’t hurt”… I’d have to check the thread but I don’t really recall anyone being too optimistic about it

10 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

The reactions are very “blah” with a lot of people saying he was too injured, some saying he flat out isn’t good, and some being alright with it.

I say again, it has worked out incredible for the Bombers, who with their elite OLine have largely kept Zach clean, and created what is likely one of the best comeback stories not just in the CFL, but in sports.

Seeing Zach get that headshot from Lawrence in week one of 2019 was devastating, especially after the cheap shot from Odell Willis in 2018.

Bless the Argo doctors who found something in his neck that needed adjusting, and began the turnaround.

It’s a great read, @Booch gave me a chuckle when he said “I’m happier with having marshmallow head at QB than just Streveler” 

haha...I said that, but if he was kept upright....could be a great move...and was....and now that all seems to be behind him...and rest is history....and the comical Rider comments were funny and yet ad...as the masses there didnt realize football is the ultimate team sport, and as a team...they were weak with gapping holes...the funny part...4 yrs later...majority are still there....now thats funny!

4 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I think I was in the ‘can’t hurt’ club.  I thought he was better than what we had if we could keep him healthy.

I obviously had no thoughts of the move being as successful as it’s been.  Pretty amazing.

I’ve followed this league for some time now and the separation in talent from Collaros to all or at least most of the other current starting QB’s is pretty amazing.

For 2 years, It thought he should retire. The last three times he got a job, I was astounded. And each time he got another injury and was out long-term, there was that sadistic satisfaction of saying, I knew it, now he's done. Then another team would sign him. Blew me away.

For him to come back from all of that, and have the success he's had? Just incredible.

Now, all that said, I don't remember any negativity from the initial thread. It was a mix of, thankfully we found someone and some shrugs because of the perennial injuries.

Most of the debate happened after 2019 - when the question became - do we bring him back?

I was positive about acquiring Zack.....I knew his history of injuries were concerning ....especially the 'concussion' issues he had at the time, but was certainly willing to give him a shot....He has proven and continues to prove this was a monumental deal that the club made, and just luv watching the guy perform as the best qb. in the league game after game

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I was positive about acquiring Zack.....I knew his history of injuries were concerning ....especially the 'concussion' issues he had at the time, but was certainly willing to give him a shot....He has proven and continues to prove this was a monumental deal that the club made, and just luv watching the guy perform as the best qb. in the league game after game

and in his time here...over 3 full seasons now basically has taken some shots...and been no worse for wear....so the return on that trade, and the likely future returns have been outstanding

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

For 2 years, It thought he should retire. The last three times he got a job, I was astounded. And each time he got another injury and was out long-term, there was that sadistic satisfaction of saying, I knew it, now he's done. Then another team would sign him. Blew me away.

For him to come back from all of that, and have the success he's had? Just incredible.

Now, all that said, I don't remember any negativity from the initial thread. It was a mix of, thankfully we found someone and some shrugs because of the perennial injuries.

Most of the debate happened after 2019 - when the question became - do we bring him back?

Yeah, I remember there was lots of debate on whether Zach or Nichols shud be re-signed.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

It was both. When he was acquired and also the following year.