Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

35 minutes ago, Booch said:

I can dislike aspects.....and like others....he needs to address issues....man u must have some life...or lack of one to do all that rooting around old posts.....and yes....he has had utter failsin management  at times...is smug especially to press....and some moves have been stupid...stupid..STUPID....much like your blatant ignorance of the whole picture

Our PR and parts of our roster are a joke....and yes...he is stubborn in some aspects.....which are a detriment to the team...ie...non use of NationlizED American for one

It's entertaining tho that me and @Mikeand a few others live rent free in your narrow mind.....thanks for the free fun!!...love every non-informed retort...keep em coming lil fella

That’s an awful lot of noise to avoid admitting you were proven wrong by your own words…..again. 

As for “whole picture”? First place - again. Host West Final - again. Number one in points allowed - again. Rushing champ - again. Number two in points against. All the issues and flaws that some swore would lead us to our downfall imminently at the start of the season have not affected us, looking at the whole picture. 

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That’s an awful lot of noise to avoid admitting you were proven wrong by your own words…..again. 

As for “whole picture”? First place - again. Host West Final - again. Number one in points allowed - again. Rushing champ - again. Number two in points against. All the issues and flaws that some swore would lead us to our downfall imminently at the start of the season have not affected us, looking at the whole picture. 

They are not wrong in so far as this could bite us in the ass at some point. However, I am not that afraid of this happening with the current talent level we have. If we were a mid tier team this could be problematic....but we aren't. I guess that's the bottom line for me. I'm just not that willing to go off on one particular flaw of a coach when he is delivering what we are paying him to do overall. That's just me I guess, and I tend to be a big picture guy. Could other guys do just as well with this roster? MAYBE....we don't know for sure and it would be really, really stupid to find out.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

We lost the Grey Cup last year because of poor field position all game, and the problem has actually gotten worse this year. Change my mind. :)

Losing Grant for 2/3 of the season will do that. However, you will never convince me that if ZC isn't hobbled we don't win that game easy.

Edited by GCn20

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

never fail to disappoint...hahahahahahahahaha....and whole picture isnt games this yr...many of which flaws were exploited, and evident....again....cherry picken at it's finest level...why dont you cherry pick negatives too....Choked in Grey Cup...partly from roster issues that lingered all year...Lost a couple games due to team being not focused/prepared.....Game lostfrom poor defensive roster and being exhausted....multiple tmes....worst return/cover teams all yr ...(return game mainy when Grant out)...not even attempted to be corrected all yr.....poor use of a DA.....total exclusion of a rule that would benefit team as a whole....which all teams use because coach stubbornly doesnt like the idea of it.....cherry pickin goes both ways

what was I wrong about....Never said I hated a coach and want them gone....just not happy with aspects of how he coaches....read the whole context of peoples comments and just dont cherry pick the things that rub your thin frail skin the wrong way

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

They are not wrong in so far as this could bite us in the ass at some point. However, I am not that afraid of this happening with the current talent level we have. If we were a mid tier team this could be problematic....but we aren't. I guess that's the bottom line for me. I'm just not that willing to go off on one particular flaw of a coach when he is delivering what we are paying him to do overall. That's just me I guess, and I tend to be a big picture guy. Could other guys do just as well with this roster? MAYBE....we don't know for sure and it would be really, really stupid to find out.

some of our top tiers talent has no succession at all in place...and should have had a prospect already identified last yr....to groom.....this yr should have been the latest we had this implemented....and we don't...still....and truthfully any one with a coaching brain and not basically a complete idiot could have has this team in exact same spot as it is now.....key part of the comment to grasp is team....it's a team effort right from Wade on down to billy the ball boy....good kid btw

50 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That first sentence is bang on. And if the argument had stopped there with Booch or Mike, then no one would disagree. It has been acknowledged by everyone here. The point is they didn’t stop there, they went way beyond that, and continued the beat the dead horse, insulting and gaslighting anyone who would disagree that we were ALREADY in severe regression and we were doomed to fail like we have so often before under O’Shea’s watch. And that O’Shea was being defiant and not on the same page as management and the scouts. Well, looking at the “whole season”, the results have shown that, even with poor special teams, even with Zach looking off at times, even with a lesser d-line rotation, even with the o-line looking old a couple of times, and so on, we are precisely where we were last year and the year before that at the end of the regular season. And where we all hoped to be at the start of the year. So it really hasn’t become the critical issue some have made it out to be. Will it be in the future?  Well, that’s a future problem, not a now problem. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That first sentence is bang on. And if the argument had stopped there with Booch or Mike, then no one would disagree. It has been acknowledged by everyone here. The point is they didn’t stop there, they went way beyond that, and continued the beat the dead horse, insulting and gaslighting anyone who would disagree that we were ALREADY in severe regression and we were doomed to fail like we have so often before under O’Shea’s watch. And that O’Shea was being defiant and not on the same page as management and the scouts. Well, looking at the “whole season”, the results have shown that, even with poor special teams, even with Zach looking off at times, even with a lesser d-line rotation, even with the o-line looking old a couple of times, and so on, we are precisely where we were last year and the year before that at the end of the regular season. And where we all hoped to be at the start of the year. So it really hasn’t become the critical issue some have made it out to be. Will it be in the future?  Well, that’s a future problem, not a now problem. 

This will be the last season the same core of veterans we've had for years will be playing together. We need to re-sign Schoen, Demski & other key vets as well as sign some free agents from other teams. There will be changes in the secondary, OL & DL. We need to sign an ILB to ge the eventual replacement for Biggie. Some vets will be casualties & won't be back. I expect we'll get younger at some positions. This will be the last kick of the can for this core. 

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This will be the last season the same core of veterans we've had for years will be playing together. We need to re-sign Schoen, Demski & other key vets as well as sign some free agents from other teams. There will be changes in the secondary, OL & DL. We need to sign an ILB to ge the eventual replacement for Biggie. Some vets will be casualties & won't be back. I expect we'll get younger at some positions. This will be the last kick of the can for this core. 

Demski is under contract through 2025 but your overall point is bang on and I agree 100%. We need to get Brady and Dalton under contract and that will mean the loss of some vets. Also we need to start turning over some spots.

32 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Mostly it was our punting and kick coverage that were the issue, though.

yup...and has festered into this season as well

25 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Demski is under contract through 2025 but your overall point is bang on and I agree 100%. We need to get Brady and Dalton under contract and that will mean the loss of some vets. Also we need to start turning over some spots.

correct...But dumping dead weight Thomas...Briggs....Miller....I guess Darby as he has fallen out of favor....Moving on from Kolo...and savings from 2023 6 game to be used to re-up for 2024 this yr will ease that

Me and my buddy I used to coach with are going to the grey cup. Finally made it happen. It’ll be our first one since starting to follow cfl when Olivera came up north. Looking forward to it! Hoping to have the bombers there but going to enjoy regardless. Figured you guys would understand the excitement. 

Edited by Bombertown

54 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

Me and my buddy I used to coach with are going to the grey cup. Finally made it happen. It’ll be our first one since starting to follow cfl when Olivera came up north. Looking forward to it! Hoping to have the bombers there but going to enjoy regardless. Figured you guys would understand the excitement. 

Hope you'll have the chance to make a whole weekend of it. Take in as many of the parties as you can. The entire festival is a really great time.

7 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

We lost the Grey Cup last year because of poor field position all game, and the problem has actually gotten worse this year. Change my mind. :)

Our oline got wrecked by Torontos Dline, the pressure was enough alone for Zach. I'd love to see us bring in the extra Olineman like we did for the rematch vs BC after getting smoked 30-6.

17 hours ago, Booch said:

never fail to disappoint...hahahahahahahahaha....and whole picture isnt games this yr...many of which flaws were exploited, and evident....again....cherry picken at it's finest level...why dont you cherry pick negatives too....Choked in Grey Cup...partly from roster issues that lingered all year...Lost a couple games due to team being not focused/prepared.....Game lostfrom poor defensive roster and being exhausted....multiple tmes....worst return/cover teams all yr ...(return game mainy when Grant out)...not even attempted to be corrected all yr.....poor use of a DA.....total exclusion of a rule that would benefit team as a whole....which all teams use because coach stubbornly doesnt like the idea of it.....cherry pickin goes both ways

what was I wrong about....Never said I hated a coach and want them gone....just not happy with aspects of how he coaches....read the whole context of peoples comments and just dont cherry pick the things that rub your thin frail skin the wrong way

some of our top tiers talent has no succession at all in place...and should have had a prospect already identified last yr....to groom.....this yr should have been the latest we had this implemented....and we don't...still....and truthfully any one with a coaching brain and not basically a complete idiot could have has this team in exact same spot as it is now.....key part of the comment to grasp is team....it's a team effort right from Wade on down to billy the ball boy....good kid btw

Sucession plan? Gimme a break. This is the age of one year contracts. Succession plans aren't even realistic anymore nor are they particularly necessary....and I think you are selling MOS contribution way short but hey you've chosen to grind that axe this year so have at it. I will agree to disagree.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree and am not worried about that in the least. We will go young or cheaper at some positions for sure in order to keep our young stars here. Walters has a multitude of options in FA and hopefully scouting brings in some good kids as well. as they usually do. I suspect that the DL will see the departure of Thomas and lower contracts for Willie and JJ, the OL may see one or two of Bryant/Yoshi/Neufeld retire, our receiving corps will remain in tact unless Schoen chases the dollars, LBer will see Biggie retire, and we may move on from Rose and/or Alexander. Of course we will have to see who chooses to chase FA dollars as well. I think MOS has built a room that most would like to stay in though.

55 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sucession plan? Gimme a break. This is the age of one year contracts. Succession plans aren't even realistic anymore nor are they particularly necessary....and I think you are selling MOS contribution way short but hey you've chosen to grind that axe this year so have at it. I will agree to disagree.

you can still develope a new young guy....happens all around the league so yeah....develop a successor without having to pay big $$ in FA.....Basic football 101 for the CFL....IE....Succession plan

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I agree and am not worried about that in the least. We will go young or cheaper at some positions for sure in order to keep our young stars here. Walters has a multitude of options in FA and hopefully scouting brings in some good kids as well. as they usually do. I suspect that the DL will see the departure of Thomas and lower contracts for Willie and JJ, the OL may see one or two of Bryant/Yoshi/Neufeld retire, our receiving corps will remain in tact unless Schoen chases the dollars, LBer will see Biggie retire, and we may move on from Rose and/or Alexander. Of course we will have to see who chooses to chase FA dollars as well. I think MOS has built a room that most would like to stay in though.

Unless Neuf is making some serious cheese in a side gig or has job prospects lined up, he ain’t retiring with a new baby. 
BTW, Haven’t we been calling for his retirement forever?

51 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Unless Neuf is making some serious cheese in a side gig or has job prospects lined up, he ain’t retiring with a new baby. 
BTW, Haven’t we been calling for his retirement forever?

As someone who was always under the impression that having a baby is some kind of huge financial burden.  It is not.    After having two kids what I hads learned was the main thing you lose is free time and sleep.     I'd hope most foot ball players have a plan for post career.  

Edited by Brandon

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As someone who was always under the impression that having a baby is some kind of huge financial burden.  It is not.    After having two kids what I hads learned was the main thing you lose is free time and sleep.     I'd hope most foot ball players have a plan for post career.  

Seriously?

I’m guessing you’ve never had to pay for childcare or required additional supports?

Regardless, babies eventually transform into children, and then we are talking serious $ output.

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd actually have hundreds of $$$ more each month to do what I want if it wasn't for my kids. And that's honestly probably low balling it. I'm mostly thinking about childcare, not the extra food/clothing/transport/activities etc etc etc.