Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Habba in his second year with say Mason Bennett to replace our Bennet, Lawson starting with another DT added to the rotation would help the Dline because to me something like: Jefferson+Jeffcoat+Habba+Mason Bennett+Walker+Lawson+New Dt would be pretty good.

At linebacker we need a replacement for Kramdi and possibly Biggie.

One man's opinion.

Wait….. I don’t see Jackson in there.

A thing to keep in mind is Walters has said many times that you can't do a wholesale overhaul. You have to do it slowly, in small pieces here and there. Obviously this season was as bit of an anomaly where we didn't really make any changes (they wanted to give last year's team a chance to redeem th shitty ending) but going forward, I don't think you'll see a whole bunch of changes even if some here think it's needed...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

A thing to keep in mind is Walters has said many times that you can't do a wholesale overhaul. You have to do it slowly, in small pieces here and there. Obviously this season was as bit of an anomaly where we didn't really make any changes (they wanted to give last year's team a chance to redeem th shitty ending) but going forward, I don't think you'll see a whole bunch of changes even if some here think it's needed...

Maybe not this year, but in the off-season they will need to make plenty of adjustments.  Should be interesting.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Maybe not this year, but in the off-season they will need to make plenty of adjustments.  Should be interesting.

Again, Walters has said they don't make "plenty of adjustments" from one season to the next. Not saying what will or won't happen, just reiterating what KW has said...

Edited by Noeller

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Again, Walters has said they don't make "plenty of adjustments" from one season to the next. Not saying what will or won't happen, just reiterating what KW has said...

But, without many adjustments this past year, they will have to make extra changes this offseason. This team is too old to run it back again. 

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He has said that they try to make incremental changes so they're not forced to do it all at once.

He also specifically stated that this group went 15-3 and deserved to "run it back".

That said, there are any number of reasons why we may have to make more changes than normal next season. Some things are out of Walters' hands, after all. 

59 minutes ago, Noeller said:

you can...and whatwe need to do isn't wholesale....longer u drag your feet...more extreme it will be...we dragged them this yr in a few instances where we shouldnt have

48 minutes ago, Noeller said:

well he better re-think that....and you make changes where they need to be...plain and simple

23 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He has said that they try to make incremental changes so they're not forced to do it all at once.

He also specifically stated that this group went 15-3 and deserved to "run it back".

That said, there are any number of reasons why we may have to make more changes than normal next season. Some things are out of Walters' hands, after all. 

very true

16 minutes ago, bustamente said:

O line might need to be overhauled, Roadhouse signing is a priority, Biggie might retire and the D line needs Canadian help. Walters will have a very interesting off season.

hardly...center...and maybe LT if and when SB retires...strength of line eminates from center out...Eli for Kolo..Dobson for Gray.....Gray stays on as a valuable swing guy who can play all positions...All in house guys who really should have been getting in game reps in those spots as it is in blow outs....in case of an injury....why they havnt got it is puzzling and to be frank...dumb and short sighted

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wilson/Cole

I could see Wilson to MLB and Cole as a WIL....Even Clements if continues to evolve...both are a little light...that being said that metric these days is a little outdated and not vital....JC Sherrit among others did just fine in the middle and believe were even smaller...if you can play the spot...u can play the spot...

53 minutes ago, Booch said:

I could see Wilson to MLB and Cole as a WIL....Even Clements if continues to evolve...both are a little light...that being said that metric these days is a little outdated and not vital....JC Sherrit among others did just fine in the middle and believe were even smaller...if you can play the spot...u can play the spot...

If we have a nose, having two light fast guys like that at mac and wil makes a lot of sense. If we don't, well even biggie isn't big enough to fight through ol disengage and make stops. The nature of defense in the cfl these days is that you really play a 4-2 with 2 ILBs instead of a wil/mac even. And they see a lot more coverage responsibilities on skill players. 

29 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If we have a nose, having two light fast guys like that at mac and wil makes a lot of sense. If we don't, well even biggie isn't big enough to fight through ol disengage and make stops. The nature of defense in the cfl these days is that you really play a 4-2 with 2 ILBs instead of a wil/mac even. And they see a lot more coverage responsibilities on skill players. 

Yup...we need to solve the middle to let our edge guys and 2 main backers eat again 

On 2023-10-06 at 12:56 PM, Noeller said:

Your first two sentences is I’m sure the goal of every gm no matter the sport. How successful they are for some is another thing.

Congrats on a big comeback win. Great for you guys to have that to pull off just when the season is getting real.

Looking like the Western road to the Grey Cup is going through IG Field.

Just now, bluto said:

Edited by bluto
Idk what happened to that post...

3 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Bombers find themselves in a great position heading into the playoffs. Bye week followed by two games followed by a bye week (as long as we clinch). They'll get their rest but not too much rest.

If we clinch at home...can't ask for a better set up...and hopefully all our starters dress....get a few reps in last game....but allow others more reps...letting some pr guys get reps in a game that won't factor in save for guys like Haba..Fox...Lawrence would be pointless...

15 hours ago, BBlink said:

Bombers find themselves in a great position heading into the playoffs. Bye week followed by two games followed by a bye week (as long as we clinch). They'll get their rest but not too much rest.

I like that it's still balls to the wall for that final win, keeps them sharp.

48 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

I really interested in how the momentum of that second half carries over to the next game. We haven't hit our stride all year. Hopefully the get on a roll into the Grey Cup. 

That's one the first times this yr to me that resembled how we played and reacted similar to 2019 and 2021