Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Just now, 17to85 said:

Most of them aren't anywhere.

as other teams kept their new talent...so not gonna cut em for other teams...it was here...or nowhere...except for Wade...but he eventually got cut too...Other than a couple draft picks...we kept one new guy out of camp....thats not an indication either that our roster of holdovers was super awesome either

19 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Walters brings in the talent but it's ultimately O'Shea and his staff that decide the roster's makeup.

NOT stepping on each other's toes and being respect of each person's roles and accountabilities (ie. letting them do their job) is what has made Miller, Walters and O'Shea as successful as they are.

A little of column A and a little of column B I think .. I DO think this was a 'lazy' year for Walters.  

I wasn't happy with our draft but when you consider how many top end talents stayed down south, it's not surprising it was a bit weak.

Some of the TC cuts made my eyes water, they kicked a lot of great talent straight out the door.  I think the problem is they look at making as little change as possible based on previous success, when they should always have the attitude that they're coming off a bad season and need to get better in every way that they can.  It's the very definition of resting on their laurels, which never works very well in the wide world of sports.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Some of the TC cuts made my eyes water, they kicked a lot of great talent straight out the door.  I think the problem is they look at making as little change as possible based on previous success, when they should always have the attitude that they're coming off a bad season and need to get better in every way that they can.  It's the very definition of resting on their laurels, which never works very well in the wide world of sports.

going into2021 season...made sense to keep the band together....going into 2022 as well for most part.....going into this year....having fell off the top....some flaws already exposed...some of our grinder/foot soldiers another few yrs older...some of our vets entering transition time....this should have been the year where we re-loaded a bit....looked to have some successors here either as back-ups or on the PR....Legit talents.....for the 2023 off-season to augment if need be, and transition a few areas, so that come the 2025 season we are set up...like 2021...good and full of fire across the board....deep all around.....

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

going into2021 season...made sense to keep the band together....going into 2022 as well for most part.....going into this year....having fell off the top....some flaws already exposed...some of our grinder/foot soldiers another few yrs older...some of our vets entering transition time....this should have been the year where we re-loaded a bit....looked to have some successors here either as back-ups or on the PR....Legit talents.....for the 2023 off-season to augment if need be, and transition a few areas, so that come the 2025 season we are set up...like 2021...good and full of fire across the board....deep all around.....

And yet 2022 was the franchise best season... 

So I don't buy the logic here and can see why they ran it back one more time.

Perhaps the guys brought in weren't as good as some think. Every year there are seemingly talented players come and go and never amount to anything. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

And yet 2022 was the franchise best season... 

So I don't buy the logic here and can see why they ran it back one more time.

Perhaps the guys brought in weren't as good as some think. Every year there are seemingly talented players come and go and never amount to anything. 

we didnt win the Cup tho....and have regressed since if you wanna use the records as your metric....it's just like in stocks....Trying to time the market and buying right at the top never works...as usually things are already in motion and set for a big knife drop.....then you regroup and recoup lower down the scale....this is whats happening here....some mild and gradually things should have happened this spring

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So this dealership gave Lawler a vehicle to drive as a promotional thing...and didn't bother to check if he had a valid drivers' license.  What the actual ****....

The dealership is now defunct. They seem to have some control issues. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

The dealership is now defunct. They seem to have some control issues. 

yeah I noticed that.  Seemed to make sense.

Anyway, this is a civil issue not a legal one so the club should be able to just make this go away with a settlement offer and be done with this garbage once and for all.

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah I noticed that.  Seemed to make sense.

Anyway, this is a civil issue not a legal one so the club should be able to just make this go away with a settlement offer and be done with this garbage once and for all.

Ball park $80k vehicle written off with no insurance, that's on Kenny, not the team.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yes but you won't convince me that they don't talk about it. And if walters felt really strongly about a guy he can convince the coach to keep him.

They talked a bit about that process in this or last camps interviews though idr all the details. 
 No question they talk. It’s mos decision at the end of the day, how that relationship is we can only speculate. I think we will see one way or another in the off season. If walters resigns it can’t be bad right? 
 Knowing the amount of time that goes into scouting a guy like deng, over multiple years no less and holding his nl for a year to cut him in what a week and a couple days? No matter how it went down walters can’t be happy. 

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Teams will pounce all over these moves, these players are too good not be on a roster just like Jordan Salima OH WAIT

league has given up Zach collaros for dead too tho… We’ve seen lots of guys get picked up, mbt for instance, and teams don’t scout domestically nearly as well as they used to. Who was the last tc cut rb to get picked up by a team league wide? Only happens if the team had been scouting the guy prior and didn’t get or gave up his nl. if you think salima isn’t in the league because he can’t play you’ve lost the plot. Ricky ray was drivin truck given up for dead when he signed with Edmonton. 

I was concerned when Rigmaiden left about the quality of recruit. Perhaps it is a larger factor.

Ringmaiden really hurt to lose. That said we’ve brought in lots and lots of blue chip imp prospects this year. Hardly any have seen the field. Who is bcs front runner for Roy? They’ve come up but I don’t think that loss crippled us. 

54 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

2021-Alford, Nichols, Sayles, Walker, Houston, Brown are all brought in.

2023- Habba and ..........?

The guys in 21 got meaningful reps. Habba barely has this year and no one else. That’s the difference. The 21 roster had to rely on developing new guys. Today we are stuck on old tired vets. 

Most of them aren't anywhere.

how many cfl pr cuts changed teams at all? This is a particular problem in the league with not doing a good job of scouting talent, not a lack of talent. 

brandin Bryant played 8 games here and wasn’t on the roster next year. That next year he played 1 game with mtl. He’s now been on 6 nfl rosters and played more nfl games than cfl. But no one wanted him for parts of 2 seasons here. 

Wr Juco kid puts up. 500 receiving 600 rushing. Goes to ol state 280 receiving 500 rushing yards 1 td kicked off team. Goes to west Alabama 400 yards receiving 200 rushing 2 tds. Reached for in the nfl draft as a kr because he has electric testing numbers. 
 Now tyreek hill has over 8k nfl receiving yards 750 rushing and 75 total tds with a bazillion dollars 

He was one year with out reps away from being on the fringe of an nfl pr and out the door. 

The imp talent pool is insanely deep, and the talent difference between guys we cut and guys who make nfl rosters is astonishingly small. Chad Johnson has made this abundantly clear since his attempt with mtl. Ricky Williams back in the day too. 

Any one who thinks the handful of high end dt and des we’ve brought in this year are all guys who can’t play is nuts. 

4 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Here's who's left:

NO

NAME POS A/N/G HT WT AGE COLLEGE

81   Alston, Ravi WR A 6'3 209 24 Montana State

90   Fox, Miles DT A 6'1 297 26 Wake Forest
49   Garbutt, TyJuan DE A 6'2 261 24 Virginia Tech
45   Haba, Celestin DE A 6'2 250 24 Texas A&M-Commerce
42   Karamoko, Souleymane DB G 6'2 213 26 Laval
69   Machino, Tomoya OL G 6'5 307 26 Kyoto

00   Maruo, Les LB G 6'0 225 27 Texas-San Antonio
29   McCrae, Greg RB A 5'10 173 25 Central Florida
38   McGhee, Tyrique DB A 5'10 185 25 Georgia
60   Richmond, Drew OL A 6'5 314 27 Southern California
96   Schmekel, Tanner DT N 6'1 291 24 Regina

I guess they need a back Cdn DT and there is literally no one else.

Thanks for posting this I was wondering who was left. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

we didnt win the Cup tho....and have regressed since if you wanna use the records as your metric....it's just like in stocks....Trying to time the market and buying right at the top never works...as usually things are already in motion and set for a big knife drop.....then you regroup and recoup lower down the scale....this is whats happening here....some mild and gradually things should have happened this spring

Anyone who thought we wouldn't (in terms of record) was smoking something good! The last two years have been historic teams. That wasn't going to last forever.

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

league has given up Zach collaros for dead too tho… We’ve seen lots of guys get picked up, mbt for instance, and teams don’t scout domestically nearly as well as they used to. Who was the last tc cut rb to get picked up by a team league wide? Only happens if the team had been scouting the guy prior and didn’t get or gave up his nl. if you think salima isn’t in the league because he can’t play you’ve lost the plot. Ricky ray was drivin truck given up for dead when he signed with Edmonton. 

You go right on ahead and compare Salima to two of the greatest QB's the CFL has produced haha I won't stop you, but Collaros and Ray were never once cut from any CFL team and even at his lowest point of his career Collaros was still viewed as a good QB with injury issues and was being dealt for conditional picks that eventually led to his Blue and Gold revenge tour. Ricky Ray was driving truck following his college career when he got the call from the 49ers, years before he ever arrived in the CFL. His San Francisco teammates gave him the moniker Frito-Ray. Ricky Ray was playing pro ball in some indoor league for Rick Worman who sent him the CFL's way.

I like the MBT comparison, since he actually spent time on a CFL PR before being cut and brought in by someone else the following season. Although, he had a pretty high profile for a never-done-nothin QB at his age because of all his NFL stints, so everyone around the league had probably heard of him already, which may account for him getting more chances than others do.

I'm not saying Salima is no good, same goes for the rest of our recent cuts, they may resurface and we've brought guys back before for second looks too. I'm just saying maybe they aren't as good as we fans like to think/hope they are. Pigrome was our next big up and comer, til he wasn't, and now he can't get a look ahead of Dustin Crum. We fans do like to get ahead of ourselves some times is all

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Anyone who thought we wouldn't (in terms of record) was smoking something good! The last two years have been historic teams. That wasn't going to last forever.

I used to be happy just to make the playoffs. Hosting the playoffs? Dare to dream!

These are the good times, I hope everyone is enjoying them