CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

yes it will.... how do you think it will go?

I think Bo Levi arm or shoulder was kind of worn out two years ago. I do not think he can do it any more.  no jinx, but I think/hope to see some int by Bomber D this Friday.

I got juran bolden rules backing me up on this! 😀

Mitchell may not have the arm for the 20-30 yard touch passes any more, but the 'Cats have enough good receivers that can run the crosses and outs to give our linebackers a workout. Between those and the running game that we still seem to be vulnerable to, this is not gonna be a walk in the park for the Blue.

7 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Just as Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros defied expectations and made inspiring comebacks, Levi Mitchell possesses the talent, determination, and good fortune needed to reclaim his rightful place as a top QB.

Sorry, when did Trevor Harris defy expectations and make an inspiring comeback?? Or is this a prediction?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I would assume our designation on O will be Bailey and Agudosi will start so then Agudosi can come in for Wolitarsky 23 snaps a game and then Grant will be the other starter and Wolitarsky can come in for Grant 37 snaps a game so that Grant can play for Demski on 12% of the snaps that Oliviera is on the sidelines so that Neufeld can line up at running back which will free up Schoen to play QB.

cross-eyed.gif

50 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Can somebody smarter than me explain how we can use this to our benefit on the ratio? Like could C.Thomas start at DT with Walker as the nationalized Canadian? Than Walker can rotate with CT but sub in for Jake or Schmekel too?

Honestly, I can’t see myself putting in the effort to learn. It doesn’t make any sense and I doubt someone could rationalize these rules existence  to me in the first place.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's a classic CFL solve a problem that doesn't exist move.

Like in the late 2000s when they basically made it illegal to block on special teams because the plays were just too exciting.  They had a series of rule changes that lasted a year or less.  Maybe just leave it alone?

Or more recently when any contact down field on a wr was pi. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I would assume our designation on O will be Bailey and Agudosi will start so then Agudosi can come in for Wolitarsky 23 snaps a game and then Grant will be the other starter and Wolitarsky can come in for Grant 37 snaps a game so that Grant can play for Demski on 12% of the snaps that Oliviera is on the sidelines so that Neufeld can line up at running back which will free up Schoen to play QB.

From the sounds of it mos doesn’t have a lot planned for it yet. Though maybe it’s just him being tricky. Dl/db/wr will make the most sense for any team imo. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

From the sounds of it mos doesn’t have a lot planned for it yet. Though maybe it’s just him being tricky. Dl/db/wr will make the most sense for any team imo. 

I honestly doubt MOS will learn the rule. He's just going to trot out the same roster he always has.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think blm is toast. fajardo might do a bit better in the soft east division but still not great. I think Dane will take over in bc but falter in the end same as always. 
 I think our D will play well. Secondary should be really good. Darby looks as good as ever. I expect to see some blm on the turf and getting mad on the sideline.  

VA is a better qb than Evans. Not even close. Way more athletic, can scramble to extend plays & has a stronger arm with his head on straight. Unlike Dane. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

it's all about trying to guarantee as much Canadian Content as possible, while rewarding players who stay with one team for an extended period....... in theory. But, as mentioned, they're making it WAY too complicated.

If teams maxed this out there'd be 46 snaps less per game for Canadians on O and D than there has been for however many years they've been running the ratio as it has been 2022 previous.

28 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I honestly doubt MOS will learn the rule. He's just going to trot out the same roster he always has.

I mean even if they don't want to do it tactically, set it up to best cover for a potential injury in-game on either side of the ball.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Can somebody smarter than me explain how we can use this to our benefit on the ratio? Like could C.Thomas start at DT with Walker as the nationalized Canadian? Than Walker can rotate with CT but sub in for Jake or Schmekel too?

It has to be guys who have been with the team for 4 years or in the CFL for 5, although that hasn't been defined anywhere I've seen.  Like is a season where a guy plays 18 games the same as a season where a guy sits on a practice roster somewhere for 4 weeks?

It would just be like Oshea to not utilize it, as he is sometimes stubborn and pig headed, and to prove "his" point...which at times are out to lunch...and then we get in a injury situ, where if we took full advantage of it, and used it to better ourselves...we end up with a big fat L instead...I can see that happening....for all his excellent qualities and traits he still has a few that he needs to put away and stop trying to go against the masses, or to prove some kind of point.

Like last year when he took away the end rotations with Mack and Wilcots and downsized the dline numbers saying they seen something and wanted to try something else...and we basically sucked doing that trial...and he never evered back...and actually dumped Mack...traded Wilcotts...tho Darbt=y was needed...and then added a less than useful Adams for the playoff run....like wtf was that??!?!

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

It would just be like Oshea to not utilize it, as he is sometimes stubborn and pig headed, and to prove "his" point...which at times are out to lunch...and then we get in a injury situ, where if we took full advantage of it, and used it to better ourselves...we end up with a big fat L instead...I can see that happening....for all his excellent qualities and traits he still has a few that he needs to put away and stop trying to go against the masses, or to prove some kind of point.

Like last year when he took away the end rotations with Mack and Wilcots and downsized the dline numbers saying they seen something and wanted to try something else...and we basically sucked doing that trial...and he never evered back...and actually dumped Mack...traded Wilcotts...tho Darbt=y was needed...and then added a less than useful Adams for the playoff run....like wtf was that??!?!

9 LBs and and 3 DEs rostered some games...

DT asked about it on the coaches show for me. MOS laughed it off. Said they do rotate the DEs and have had plenty of bodies doing it over the years. Also commented that you don't want to take the Jeff's off the field more than you have to.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

For Friday: Start Brendan O'Leary-Orange at SB and make Rasheed Bailey the DNA. Bailey plays the whole game and it allows Greg McCrae/Janarion Grant to play 23 snaps in place of Drew Wolitarsky, Brady Oliveira or Mike Miller.

Start Celestin Haba at DE and make Jackson Jeffcoat the DNA. Then Haba could play 23 snaps in place of Jake Thomas in a 3 DE package + Ricky Walker.

The Bombers would appear to have limited ways to benefit on D since they regularly start only 1 CDN there.

When Lawler is back they could have a receiving corps of Lawler-Schoen-Demski-Bailey-Agudosi for 23 snaps a game. They would have to roster Grant/Agudosi as backups instead of Grant/McCrae costing them some flexibility.

This could (and I hope it does) turn out to be a wildly wrong take, but I really think there’s a chance this ends up being the year Bomber Nation starts to turn on O’Shea a little bit

I think we’re going to end up very frustrated with how our roster gets managed this year. It’s been a weak point of his forever, but I think there’s a very good chance it costs us some games this year. If we’re trotting out guys like Gauthier and Maruo because we don’t wanna play dirty with the rest and game this system, we’re going to be in trouble. I guess we’ll see tomorrow how they play it. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

VA is a better qb than Evans. Not even close. Way more athletic, can scramble to extend plays & has a stronger arm with his head on straight. Unlike Dane. 

Many things can be said of va. Head on straight isn’t one of them. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

This could (and I hope it does) turn out to be a wildly wrong take, but I really think there’s a chance this ends up being the year Bomber Nation starts to turn on O’Shea a little bit

I think we’re going to end up very frustrated with how our roster gets managed this year. It’s been a weak point of his forever, but I think there’s a very good chance it costs us some games this year. If we’re trotting out guys like Gauthier and Maruo because we don’t wanna play dirty with the rest and game this system, we’re going to be in trouble. I guess we’ll see tomorrow how they play it. 

agree. And despite how great mos has been if we have to choose between walters and mos, I’d keep walters. 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

If you call Bomber Nation the small group of die hards that cares to follow roster moves, then yes, I agree with you.

11 hours ago, Booch said:

This just in: Mike O’Shea “out to lunch”. 

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Nah, the year they turned on him was 2015 after 5-13. And 2016 after Medlock’s missed 61 yarder against BC. And 2017 after losing to the Esks in a home playoff game. And 2018 after the playoff loss in Calgary. And the whole “fire O’Shea” thread. And right up to half time in the west semi in 2019 when he needed to be turfed. 

Because fans are silly like that. 

12 hours ago, Jesse said:

You doubt MOS, who regularly educates the refs on the rules, will learn the rule? MOS not only learned the rule, he has probably put in countless hours of thought into it. MOS not knowing the rules is about the last thing I would have expected anyone to say, if there is one thing besides winning that MOS has demonstrated it is that he has encyclopaedic understanding of the rule book.

I am pretty shocked at everyone turning on MOS for not doing something, that he literally has had no opportunity to do yet. If you guys think that MOS hasn't looked at this rule, studied it, looked at every conceivable way it can be implemented to our advantage, and then won't do it and will play Maruo instead that's just crazy. The guy wants to win, and this is an opportunity to have another very good player on the field you normally couldn't have.  He will use it. Geez Louise.

Edited by GCn20