CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

57 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t think the Stamps will win. 
McCheese reminds me of Kerwin Bell minus the spike to the junk.

When the chips are up he plays well enough, and can throw a nice quick hitter.
I just don’t see him, even playing within his rotund self, doing enough to win a playoff game. 

I see it looking similar to last week with BC in the place of the Bombers. 

As long as he's still playing, he can still shoot for that goal!

Calgary did look like crap against us last week but it was a nothing game.  The week before was a game that mattered for both sided and they whooped the Lions (in BC too).  McCheese only through for 123 yards but the Stamps still came away with a 41-16 win.   

If they're going to have a shot at the upset, they need to follow that game plan - limit what McCheese is asked to do & run the ball down BC's throat.  The Stamps also didn't have Carey for that game either so having him back in the line-up only strengthens their run game.

9 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup but don't know if Ka'Deem Carey has the necessary horsepower to do that.

Just a striking difference between him and BO.

If he's healthy he absolutely does.

And they mix Mills in quite a bit too. Nothing wrong with their run game except for the fact that they lean away from it too much these days.

32 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

As long as he's still playing, he can still shoot for that goal!

Calgary did look like crap against us last week but it was a nothing game.  The week before was a game that mattered for both sided and they whooped the Lions (in BC too).  McCheese only through for 123 yards but the Stamps still came away with a 41-16 win.   

If they're going to have a shot at the upset, they need to follow that game plan - limit what McCheese is asked to do & run the ball down BC's throat.  The Stamps also didn't have Carey for that game either so having him back in the line-up only strengthens their run game.

It could work but the Stamps D has to keep the game within reach, if it becomes a shootout Maier has no chance of keeping up with Adams.  Doesn't help the Stamps playing inside a warm dry stadium.

Not only does Calgary need to run the ball to have any shot... they need to be able to get an early lead... if BC gets down early they are going to rely even more on the home run shots... because they don't have much else for offense... Calgary needs to control ball possession, maintain the lead, and defensively win 50/50s at about a 75/25 rate.... that said, I still think BC wins fairly easily  

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

And they mix Mills in quite a bit too. Nothing wrong with their run game except for the fact that they lean away from it too much these days.

Yeah he doeant have to do it all himself...Mills is good too...and Logan adds even more that BC I don't think can handle

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I just remember watching Carey and BO this year on the same day and thinking to myself how BO just wears down the D down by consistently and violently fighting for the extra 2-3 (and more) yards then seeing Carey run and seeing a huge difference in style.

But hey I could be completely underestimating Carey's prowess at wearing a D down if they fed him the rock more and being closer to BO's gold standard of controlled violence and skill than I think.   

Anyways, whoever wins this game I'm hoping has a real unpleasant day in the WF.

25 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Didn't make a lot of sense to change Crum from a scrambling & running qb to strictly a pocket passer. Khari tried to fit him into his system & it didn't work. Like trying to match a ball with a square. Coaches have to be able to build an offense around the strengths of their players which Jones didn't do. It's still ridiculous that Dyce stayed & Jones goes. Dyce is not a good HC.

10 hours ago, JCon said:

Always possible that we're looking for an OC this year. I'm not sold that KJ would be a good replacement, though. 

I love khari. But he and Zach is a terrible combination.  
 Hey Zach why don’t you throw it deep?

I do khari what do you mean

oh I mean every snap. Every, single, snap. No matter the coverage. 

hell yes I’m in. 

like I said I love khari. But idk what his fit is in the cfl. He’s been the coach on crap teams but that’s how every coach starts. 

9 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm undecided on who I want to win this weekend. I'd love for BC to come here and get **** kicked again. Just so there's no debate about who is better....

But watching DD leave with an L is also very appealing....and of course BC not even being good enough to get here wouldn't hurt.

Personally, I want the best teams. I’m hoping we get bc and Toronto in the gc. That said, a mtl gc with fajardo would be hilarious too. 

35 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Personally, I want the best teams. I’m hoping we get bc and Toronto in the gc. That said, a mtl gc with fajardo would be hilarious too. 

I had to read that a few times. You hope the Bombers gets BC in the West Final and the Argos in the GC. Not, the Lions and Argos in the GC. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

like I said I love khari. But idk what his fit is in the cfl. He’s been the coach on crap teams but that’s how every coach starts. 

Khari has now coached on 5 of the 9 teams in the league, they weren't all crappy....but if they were, it's his job to improve their play under his area of expertise.  Can't honestly say this has been the case at most of his stops.

Edited by Fatty Liver

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Khari has had a raw deal,  screwed in Montreal and then screwed in Ottawa being stuck with a craptastic QB in Crum.       If the Riders were smart they'd hire him.  

He seems to be a better HC than OC. Although it was no picnic working for Bob Dyce. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-11-03 at 8:28 AM, JohnnyAbonny said:

McCheese reminds me of Kerwin Bell minus the spike to the junk.

this is gonna sound crazy, but he kinda reminds me of the 1994-1995 Anthony Calvillo.  Has got obvious skills and can make some great throws but he isn't quite feeling the game yet.  I think if he sticks around he could level up.

(I know nothing about developing quarterbacks)

3 minutes ago, johnzo said:

this is gonna sound crazy, but he kinda reminds me of the 1994-1995 Anthony Calvillo.  Has got obvious skills and can make some great throws but he isn't quite feeling the game yet.  I think if he sticks around he could level up.

I don’t really see that resemblance. Calvillo in 94-95 was rocket arming everything and had a terrible OL. 

You can see a lot more big play potential from Calvillo in his first couple of games (I believe this was #2) than we’ve seen from McCheese, who’s already in his second season starting and third overall. 

You put 1994 AC on the 2023 Stamps and they’re definitely above .500 imo. 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

Imo this is the biggest issue with CFL qbing. I'm not sure why, but lots of teams don't seem to let guys develop. 

Edited by Bigblue204

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Umo thus is the biggest issue with CFL qbing. I'm not sure why, but lots of teams don't seem to let guys develop. 

That couple years of 2 QB rosters really hampered the league. 
For 3 years the CFL basically produced Streveler and 50 incarnations of Nick Arbuckle. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Khari has had a raw deal,  screwed in Montreal and then screwed in Ottawa being stuck with a craptastic QB in Crum.       If the Riders were smart they'd hire him.  

If Khari is smart, he would turn the offer down, if extended.

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

I don't think he has the mobility needed to play in this era.  If you lack the mobility you better have one hell of an arm/ability to make pre-snap reads.  Don't see it at all.  Think he's a fine guy to stick around as a backup for awhile if he wants to.  If you're a good team, say the Bombers, and you lose your starter, you could be pretty confident in Maier being a .500 QB for you.

On 2023-11-03 at 9:44 PM, JCon said:

I had to read that a few times. You hope the Bombers gets BC in the West Final and the Argos in the GC. Not, the Lions and Argos in the GC. 

Lol yeah I’m beyond fried rn. 
 21 bombers could take both teams in the gc at once though lol. 

On 2023-11-04 at 3:03 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

He seems to be a better HC than OC. Although it was no picnic working for Bob Dyce. 

I think the same is true of plop tbh. Great player coaches. Not great game managers or in game decision/adjustment guys. Plop has a better ability to put together a play book. 
Khari needs to stick as a qb coach under a good oc for a while. And nothing wrong with being a qb coach long term.