CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

35 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Good thing we have to roster 17 linebackers and couldn’t find a way to get ADS on.

The Agudosi one kind of bugs me too. I know we’re stacked there but you have to find a way to use a 6”6 WR. 

Agudosi had a chance when Lawler was hurt, he didn't do enough with it. 

As for swarthy, we'll Parker is healthy, Houston is ahead of him too, Lawrence is still around, depth at db. 

Edited by 17to85

46 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Good thing we have to roster 17 linebackers and couldn’t find a way to get ADS on.

The Agudosi one kind of bugs me too. I know we’re stacked there but you have to find a way to use a 6”6 WR. 

Age & upside. I think they feel O'Leary-Orange may be ready to step up & is much younger than Agudosi. Also, we need to develop more impact Canadian receivers.

I expected great things from Agudosi, the way Collaros likes to sling it downfield I figured a giraffe like him would prosper in game action. but for whatever reason, that didn't happen.

ADS might be another Terrance Frederick -- when I saw TF play I thought the Blue had a real gem of a find.  But he was cut in the offseason.

Just came across this forum and signed up to join in on the conversation on the roster.

Was reading some of the stuff people commented about on the PR shrinking and ADS and Agudosi getting picked up elsewhere and it made me look back to the post-COVID classes of American players the Bomber FO has brought in:

2023 Class

• Damian Jackson, FB/LS - 31
  • Celestin Haba, DE - 24
  • Tyjuan Garbutt, DE - 24
  • Tyrique McGhee, DB - 25
  • Ravi Alston, WR - 24

2022 Class

• Dalton Schoen, WR - 26
  • Evan Holm, DB - 25
  • Jamal Parker, DB - 25

2021 Class

• Deatrick Nichols, DB - 29
  • Ricky Walker, DT - 27
  • Demerio Houston, DB - 27
  • Dru Brown, QB - 26
  • Drew Richmond, OT - 27

(Also Dee Alford and Casey Sayles)

Recent signings from other teams:

• Miles Fox, DT (2023 from BCL) - 26
  • Desmond Lawrence, DB (2022 from HAM) - 28
  • Brian Cole, LB (2022 from EDM) - 26
  • Malik Clements, LB (2022 from EDM) - 27

Feels like a pretty even distribution of younger players being added to the roster throughout the years. I wouldn't say we are running rookies out of town like others. In '22 we didn't keep any of the PR guys we brought in but this year we kept Ravi Alston instead of Agudosi, which makes me think he beat Carlton out or they didn't expect him back next year. 

Difference this year is the young guys aren't getting as much opportunity to play other than Celestin Haba (looking promising!) and Damian Jackson (groan). But Tyrique McGhee likely being brought along to compete for starting DB spot next season and two rookie DEs are hopefully developing behind Jeffcoat and Jefferson.

Edited by bluedawg

4 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Was reading some of the stuff people commented about on the PR shrinking and ADS and Agudosi getting picked up elsewhere and it made me look back to the post-COVID classes of American players the Bomber FO has brought in:

FWIW, 

Daramy-Swaray was a 27 year old in 2023 class

Agudosi was a 29 year old from 2021 class

Other Americans cut when PR shrunk were Deng (25 year old LB/DE from NFL), Martin (24 year old WR from NFL who Alston beat out) and Blackmon (25 year old previously cut by MTL)

Would hope they bring back Deng, Martin and Blackmon next training camp to get a better look!

11 hours ago, johnzo said:

I expected great things from Agudosi, the way Collaros likes to sling it downfield I figured a giraffe like him would prosper in game action. but for whatever reason, that didn't happen.

ADS might be another Terrance Frederick -- when I saw TF play I thought the Blue had a real gem of a find.  But he was cut in the offseason.

I thought the same about Terrence Frederick!

He had that great stop on a 3rd and 2 fake punt by Sask to seal the banjo bowl 

I think sometimes as CFL fans, we and I include myself in this for sure, get a little too attached to term PR players especially guys who have had extended runs on them. A guy like Adugosi who has PRed for what...3 seasons....and has not cracked the lineup isn't going to be the one who got away imo. They are on the PR for a reason, and it is usually because they are at best fringe CFLers. There are guys you bring in late for some experience before next year's TC, but once you go through camp and almost a full season on the PR I think your release is pretty much a non-event.

41 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I think sometimes as CFL fans, we and I include myself in this for sure, get a little too attached to term PR players especially guys who have had extended runs on them. A guy like Adugosi who has PRed for what...3 seasons....and has not cracked the lineup isn't going to be the one who got away imo. They are on the PR for a reason, and it is usually because they are at best fringe CFLers. There are guys you bring in late for some experience before next year's TC, but once you go through camp and almost a full season on the PR I think your release is pretty much a non-event.

That’s very true. Hell of a point. I still say Stephan Ali could have been a big time player. 

15 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Blows me away CGY didn't try to sign Agudosi to a starters contract. Their rec is brutal and beat to ****. He's exactly what they need. 

I don't think there's any shenanigans going with Argos grabbing him either. Everyone knows what the Bombers do. 

That’s a great point. He would’ve been a great fit for them. 

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Agudosi had a chance when Lawler was hurt, he didn't do enough with it. 

As for swarthy, we'll Parker is healthy, Houston is ahead of him too, Lawrence is still around, depth at db. 

I agree on Agudosi. He can be really frustrating at wr. At the same time , lawler has suffered for touches a bunch this year. With how much Demski schoen and Brady touch the ball plus woli having a career year and sheed in the mix its hard. 
 The thing that frustrates me the most with Agudosi is not making use of him on teams. As a package guy on offence and a teams demon he could’ve brought a lot. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The thing that frustrates me the most with Agudosi is not making use of him on teams. As a package guy on offence and a teams demon he could’ve brought a lot. 

Agudosi does not have the play strength to play on special teams. He's tall and super long but is super wiry thin. I don't think he would have added anything on ST

I would have liked to have seen Agudosi land with someone else other than those gawdamned argo's .....I hope the hell he doesn't come back to haunt us in the Cup......(notice how I've already got us penciled in for the show....nothing like a great prognostication for the feel good of the day  heh heh)

Edited by Stickem

12 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Agudosi does not have the play strength to play on special teams. He's tall and super long but is super wiry thin. I don't think he would have added anything on ST

actually he excelled at it in his NFL camps...was a huge plus with him....talking to the strength coach in Arizona said we will love him on teams...he's crazy tenacious, and he has some blocked kicks on his resume as well

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

actually he excelled at it in his NFL camps...was a huge plus with him....talking to the strength coach in Arizona said we will love him on teams...he's crazy tenacious, and he has some blocked kicks on his resume as well

This might be a dumb question, but given the NFL is mostly touchbacks and fair catches, maybe they value different skills on teams down there?

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

That’s a great point. He would’ve been a great fit for them. 

I agree on Agudosi. He can be really frustrating at wr. At the same time , lawler has suffered for touches a bunch this year. With how much Demski schoen and Brady touch the ball plus woli having a career year and sheed in the mix its hard. 

This is just it. With a- how poor our coverage has been and B- running plays designed for him, not just expecting him to do whatever Lawler does. 

16 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Elks closing the upper bowl for 24'......sign of the times for the CFL I guess.....seems like we're shrinking....Thought the leos would fill their digs this year...I think it happened once....We seem to be alright but if the riders don't clean up their mess, I could see a drop there....Interesting times.................

The lower bowl still holds over 31k. The place is just too massive.