CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Bashir levingston in 7 years had 8 punt return tds. Grant has 7 in 3 and counting. 3 kick off return tds for bashir to 1 for grant. Bashir is up by 4 missed fgs though. 
 Giz had 26 in 14 years on punts. 2 on kick offs. 3 on missed field goals. 
 I would love to see grant pass giz in punt return tds. That would require some crazy longevity, but I think if he gets past half way he has to be in the top tier.  

I remember Levingston being an absolute monster. Hated how good he was.

With Grant, he's been an absolute stud. Just how long he keeps playing, I guess. He's 29 so he still has time to add to his career numbers. Won't pass Gizmo though, lol.

6 hours ago, Jesse said:

I remember Levingston being an absolute monster. Hated how good he was.

With Grant, he's been an absolute stud. Just how long he keeps playing, I guess. He's 29 so he still has time to add to his career numbers. Won't pass Gizmo though, lol.

What impresses me about Grant is that he doesn't go down at the first touch and actually breaks the odd tackle- not just a speed merchant.

Edited by Tracker

33 minutes ago, Tracker said:

What impresses me about Grant is that he doesn't go down at the first touch and actually breaks the odd tackle- not just a speed merchant.

And really doesn’t try to run backwards or side to side that much. Even if he’s not breaking long ones he’s taking what’s given straight ahead and usually making a few guys miss. I remember some of the really good return guys of the 2000’s would be boom or bust sometimes dancing around and losing yards. 

25 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Strong as all hell too. I’m genuinely stunned he hasn’t gotten an NFL look. He’s like Cordarrelle Patterson.

He did. He actually won the Baltimore Ravens kick returner job out of camp in 2018 but had fumblitus and was released. What i didnt know is he was also in Hamilton's training camp in 2019 but was cut there too lol.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

32 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Strong as all hell too. I’m genuinely stunned he hasn’t gotten an NFL look. He’s like Cordarrelle Patterson.

I know for a fact how strong he is...he is a 160 pound guy who can bench over 300 pounds for reps...his combine bench numbers blows many guys who are lineman...linebackers and Rb's right outta the water...dude is strong AF and tuff as hell

He had a fw fumbles...and the Ravens didnt like it I guess....**** happens and the NFL is a meat grinder....their loss for sure

10 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

He did. He actually won the Baltimore Ravens kick returner job out of camp in 2018 but had fumblitus and was released. What i didnt know is he was also in Hamilton's training camp in 2019 but was cut there too lol.

Yeah his first game for us against the Ctas you can see him do a few good things and totally give it to the Cats bench..I assume directed toward the coaches

20 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah they kept Frankie Williams over Grant.  Williams won the league award for ST player of the year so it's hard to argue with their decision.  I'd say it worked out for both teams, especially us! 

27 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

In fairness, the Hamilton job was never open for him to take even though he was the most impressive in TC. Like Bigg Jay illustrated Williams was a monster the year before and that position was not going to be anyone else's. We scooped him as soon as we got the chance because he was just flat out good in Hammy's camp.

Edited by GCn20

Bighill fined for his helmet to helmet hit on QB Shea Patterson on the early 3rd down sneak play against the Riders.  Looks like the CFL may be cracking down on LB's flying over the top like targeted missiles this season.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/21/cfl-fines-winnipegs-adam-bighill-ottawas-gary-johnson-jr-following-week-2/

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

lulz from Naylor: 

No matter your vantage point, it should be clear that Toronto Argonauts quarterback Chad Kelly is the most important player in the Canadian Football League right now.

He's not wrong. You don't have to like it, hell I don't like it .. but he's right.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

He's not wrong. You don't have to like it, hell I don't like it .. but he's right.

I knew you'd take the contrarian POV, as always, but here's the thing: Yes, they're trying to say that he's going to make the Argos relevant in TO, and that makes him the most important player in the league. But absolutely NOTHING will make the Argos relevant in Toronto. Not even a guy with his head that far up his own ass and still managed 3 TDs last week....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I knew you'd take the contrarian POV, as always, but here's the thing: Yes, they're trying to say that he's going to make the Argos relevant in TO, and that makes him the most important player in the league. But absolutely NOTHING will make the Argos relevant in Toronto. Not even a guy with his head that far up his own ass and still managed 3 TDs last week....

It's not a contrarian point of view, it's just reality. It's not even about Toronto, although that is one angle (not one I really care about though)

The reality of the situation is this. Nobody in the CFL HQ gives a flying **** what you think. Or what I think. We're watching either way. Saskatchewan is watching either way. Edmonton is watching either way. Hamilton is watching either way. Ottawa is watching either way. There are some struggling markets, but more importantly ... those fanbases are already installed. They're trying to grow the game "globally" (really just make inroads into the US and become that secondary option for those viewers) and the best ways to do that are to have a recognizable face and to have a competitive league. Without Kelly, they have neither. This version of the CFL leadership couldn't make a star out of Milt Stegall, hell they probably wouldn't even know what to do with a Patrick Mahomes or a Josh Allen. They need a name brand they didn't create. Chad Kelly (love him or hate him) is that, even though he doesn't deserve it.

The other thing is, they desperately need a QB who can compete because if not, it really looks like the league is going to have to bank on Vernon Adams or Matthew Shiltz to be that guy this year otherwise Winnipeg is probably just going to run roughshod over the entire league. That's not fun for new viewers either.

so yeah, call me "that guy" if you want but the reality is, their goal isn't to make us feel special. They don't care about us. They care about growth and he's their best shot at it right now.

I'd argue Kelly is barely recognizable outside of most fairly hardcore football fans.

And the CFL will very likely still have to make something out of VA and schiltz as Kelly played one game with some lucky bounces that went his way. I'm not at all a believer.

Kelly will make TO as relevant as McBeth did. Take that to the bank.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's not a contrarian point of view, it's just reality. It's not even about Toronto, although that is one angle (not one I really care about though)

The reality of the situation is this. Nobody in the CFL HQ gives a flying **** what you think. Or what I think. We're watching either way. Saskatchewan is watching either way. Edmonton is watching either way. Hamilton is watching either way. Ottawa is watching either way. There are some struggling markets, but more importantly ... those fanbases are already installed. They're trying to grow the game "globally" (really just make inroads into the US and become that secondary option for those viewers) and the best ways to do that are to have a recognizable face and to have a competitive league. Without Kelly, they have neither. This version of the CFL leadership couldn't make a star out of Milt Stegall, hell they probably wouldn't even know what to do with a Patrick Mahomes or a Josh Allen. They need a name brand they didn't create. Chad Kelly (love him or hate him) is that, even though he doesn't deserve it.

The other thing is, they desperately need a QB who can compete because if not, it really looks like the league is going to have to bank on Vernon Adams or Matthew Shiltz to be that guy this year otherwise Winnipeg is probably just going to run roughshod over the entire league. That's not fun for new viewers either.

so yeah, call me "that guy" if you want but the reality is, their goal isn't to make us feel special. They don't care about us. They care about growth and he's their best shot at it right now.

Kelly wants out as soon as his contract is over. He's said that a number of times. That's the problem. We can't keep our young stars. They have him on that shitty cheap CFL entry contract that's paid in Can $$$. We also know that no matter how well he plays the Argos won't offer to renegotiate. And players also have the out where even players under contract can have NFL tryouts. So, even if Kelly signs a new deal he could still leave. If the CFL wants to build stars to grow the game in popularity then they have to close these loopholes no mateer what the Players Association says. They need to understand that they're lucky there's still a league here for them to play in. Just my 2 cents. 

Pretending if TO just had a superstar player, they would suddenly become popular in TO is a losing strategy that's been tried multiple times with actual NFL superstars lol. It also removes the responsibility of the pos owners who do nothing to promote that team. 

There are good ways to grow fan bases and the Argos have tried none of them. If everything goes perfectly, and Kelly becomes the face of the CFL, like speedflex said, he's gone before the CFL execs can blink. That's who they want to tie a new market to?

Edited by Bigblue204

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Pretending if TO just had a superstar player, they would suddenly become popular in TO is a losing strategy that's been tried multiple times with actual NFL superstars lol. It also removes the responsibility of the pos owners who do nothing to promote that team. 

There are good ways to grow fan bases and the Argos have tried none of them. If everything goes perfectly, and Kelly becomes the face of the CFL, like speedflex said, he's gone before the CFL execs can blink. That's who they want to tie a new market to?

FWIW I never claimed the league's plan is a good plan. But it's very obvious that it's their plan.