2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hard no. Evans is far and away the better option. Faj is a complete and total mess. Even at his best he was MAYBE a 3rd string guy. Now he's beat up and has nothing left physically. I wouldn't want that anywhere near a lockerroom where he can make everything about himself. Evans is young, and while his brain is wonky, he's got time to fix it. I think he'd be a WAY better teammate than the Faj. 

Evans and Maier in Calgary would be quite the combo, I think.... Evans works better in that 1a/1b situation....

Why do you think Evans can fix his brain? He's been a pro for awhile now. He's not so young. He's 29 years old. Born November 19, 1993. He signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2016 & was released in 2017.  He signed with the Ti Cats as well in 2017. He's been with them for going on 6 seasons. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do you think Evans can fix his brain? He's been a pro for awhile now. He's not so young. He's 29 years old. Born November 19, 1993. He signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2016 & was released in 2017.  He signed with the Ti Cats as well in 2017. He's been with them for going on 6 seasons. 

He was given too much, too soon. I'm still not sure he can do it alone yet (his best success was as part of the tandem with Masoli) but it's possible. He is mentally fragile, for sure, but he's not a shitty teammate like Faj is..... or, at least, that's never been reported. He's also twice the QB that Faj is....Faj was never good, and with the physical beating he's taken, he's worse than bad now. Evans is fine physically....just needs to straighten it out between his ears. That can still be fixed...and playing in a tandem situation with Maier....with a QB guru like Dickie.....that could be what the doctor ordered.

I doubt that Evans would fit in our salary structure, but I think that if he could get his head straightened out, working under Collaros and O'Shea and the FIFO system would be the place it would happen.

Oh and by the way, just popped over to Riderfans.  Apparently, everything is going to be just fine.

Edited by WBBFanWest
because.... duh

A change of scenery can help a beleaguered athlete - and QB is no exception.

Take the Blue Bombers' current starting QB, for example. The same could happen for Evans and Fajardo depending on what team acquires them.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I doubt that Evans would fix in our salary structure, but I think that if he could get his head straightened out, working under Collaros and O'Shea and the FIFO system would be the place it would happen.

Oh and by the way, just popped over to Riderfans.  Apparently, everything is going to be just fine.

Of course it is.

Youre Delusional GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

He was given too much, too soon. I'm still not sure he can do it alone yet (his best success was as part of the tandem with Masoli) but it's possible. He is mentally fragile, for sure, but he's not a shitty teammate like Faj is..... or, at least, that's never been reported. He's also twice the QB that Faj is....Faj was never good, and with the physical beating he's taken, he's worse than bad now. Evans is fine physically....just needs to straighten it out between his ears. That can still be fixed...and playing in a tandem situation with Maier....with a QB guru like Dickie.....that could be what the doctor ordered.

The temper tantrums to me with his coaches & teammates tells me that he isn't a great teammate & that he has problems. He can't take on being a starter long term as he just crumbles under the pressure. I can stand a lot watching football but one thing I can't stand are players tossing their teammates under the bus while refusing to take responsibilty themselves. Both Fajardo & Evans are guilty of that.

The 2019 Grey Cup, wow. I've never seen a qb act like that. We all remember Jim Barker trying to calm down Evans & he was throwing a hissy fit on the sidelines. Barker knew he & Evans were on television when that happened & Barker had this. "What the hell are we going to do about this guy??" look on his face. Then last year with his season going south fast, Evans did the same thing. Hissy fits on the field & sidelines. At 25 sure, maybe he'd change. At 29, I don't think so. He's already reached his ceiling for potential. What you see is probably what you're going to get. 

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The difference between Evans and Fajardo are that Evans lost confidence but has ability and plays nicely with others, and Fajardo has over confidence with little ability and throws team mates under the bus. Is there any doubt as to which is more likely to have everyone around you give the time and patience to help you rebound?

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The temper tantrums to me with his coaches & teammates tells me that he isn't a great teammate & that he has problems. He can't take on being a starter long term as he just crumbles under the pressure. I can stand a lot watching football but one thing I can't stand are players tossing their teammates under the bus while refusing to take responsibilty themselves. Both Fajardo & Evans are guilty of that.

The 2019 Grey Cup, wow. I've never seen a qb act like that. We all remember Jim Barker trying to calm down Evans & he was throwing a hissy fit on the sidelines. Barker knew he & Evans were on television when that happened & Barker had this. "What the hell are we going to do about this guy??" look on his face. Then last year with his season going south fast, Evans did the same thing. Hissy fits on the field & sidelines. At 25 sure, maybe he'd change. At 29, I don't think so. He's already reached his ceiling for potential. What you see is probably what you're going to get. 

I think you are referring to the 2021 Grey Cup. The difference between the in-game hissy fits by Fajardo and Evans is that after cooler heads prevailed one put the bullseye and the blame on himself, and the other threw his team mates under the bus in the media.

Dieter Brock was given a lot as a young qb. So was Zach Collaros, Henry Burris, Tom Clements, Matt Dunigan, Damon Allen, Tracy Ham, Nathan Rourke, Ricky Ray, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow & a bunch of others. None of them had to work on their head space. You have to be a special breed to be a successful pro qb. Most fail. Evans career is hanging on by a thread. It can go either way right now. It's really up to him to fix it. Coaching can only go so far. Ultimately, he needs to do whatver he needs to do to improve as he's running out of chances.

If I'm a GM, I don't sign a qb who is comfortable sharing the qb duties with someone else. I want a backup who wants to play & feels he should be the starter. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Dieter Brock was given a lot as a young qb. So was Zach Collaros, Henry Burris, Tom Clements, Matt Dunigan, Damon Allen, Tracy Ham, Nathan Rourke, Ricky Ray, Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow & a bunch of others. None of them had to work on their head space. You have to be a special breed to be a successful pro qb. Most fail. Evans career is hanging on by a thread. It can go either way right now. It's really up to him to fix it. Coaching can only go so far. Ultimately, he needs to do whatver he needs to do to improve as he's running out of chances.

If I'm a GM, I don't sign a qb who is comfortable sharing the qb duties with someone else. I want a backup who wants to play & feels he should be the starter. 

Totally agree. Evans needs to come in with a mindset that last year was an aberration and is behind him and that he is a bonafide starter. Gotta be able to quickly regain confidence as a professional athlete. We have all seen he has the tools to be a good QB. He's going to have to very quickly learn to trust in his abilities.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Totally agree. Evans needs to come in with a mindset that last year was an aberration and is behind him and that he is a bonafide starter. Gotta be able to quickly regain confidence as a professional athlete. We have all seen he has the tools to be a good QB. He's going to have to very quickly learn to trust in his abilities.

I expect Dane Evans to have a long CFL career, somewhat resembling what Trevor Harris has achieved.

The Faj is mentally fragile...I almost sense not the sharpest knife in the drawer as well based on some of his comments last few yrs...and icing on the cake has limited QB skills...and no upside...the fact the Riders ride that as long as they did is almost laughable ..he was a benefactor of some opportune defence..a good run of luck against teams injured and in flux...and horseshoes ..I'd take almost any other QB in the league as a back up to him...don't need him anywhere near here

I don't understand why anyone thinks we're bringing in a QB for the backup role. We already have that. Brown is and will be the #2 qb again this year. Maybe we bring back Prukop...but other than that I see us getting a rookie/young guy to develop on an entry level contract. Dane Evans will not be in blue and gold this year.

I'll tell you what I find weird:

The same people complaining that Dane Evans and the media shouldn't have been so open about GETTING HELP for his psychological issues are now complaining that he's "mentally weak" and "needs to get right between the ears".

If I shook my head any harder, I could churn butter in my ears.

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Even more important he has to gain the trust of his coaches & teammates. That may be very difficult to do. 

26 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I'll tell you what I find weird:

The same people complaining that Dane Evans and the media shouldn't have been so open about GETTING HELP for his psychological issues are now complaining that he's "mentally weak" and "needs to get right between the ears".

If I shook my head any harder, I could churn butter in my ears.

As a qb he's failed. The Ti Cats have obviously moved on from him. I'm sure the Cats want to get rid of that contract he's signed. I think if all avenues trade wise are explored & nothing comes of it, he'll be released. They have Schilz who can backup Bo levi Mitchell.

It doesn't mean Evans is a failure in life. Football shouldn't define who he is. He's also a Dad & family man. He'll probably get a job & be successful. Not everyone is cut out to be a pro qb & handling the pressure that comes with it. Maybe it's time he moved on as well & got on with his life. I can't see any team beating a drum or be prepared to give up a lot to get him in a trade. That's the facts, Jack. Pro sports are cutthroat. Only the strong survive. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As a qb he's failed. The Ti Cats have obviously moved on from him. I'm sure the Cats want to get rid of that contract he's signed. I think if all avenues trade wise are explored & nothing comes of it, he'll be released. They have Schilz who can backup Bo levi Mitchell.

It doesn't mean Evans is a failure in life. Football shouldn't define who he is. He's also a Dad & family man. He'll probably get a job & be successful. Not everyone is cut out to be a pro qb & handling the pressure that comes with it. Maybe it's time he moved on as well & got on with his life. I can't see any team beating a drum or be prepared to give up a lot to get him in a trade. That's the facts, Jack. Pro sports are cutthroat. Only the strong survive. 

One of the strongest things a person can do is ask for help, which he did.  Way too soon to write someone like that off.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Caleb Evans would be a great add for us as a 2-3 QB.  Great with the designed run stuff.

And likely more  in line with what we could afford. 

1 hour ago, greenrider55 said:

It’s possible Hamilton’s asking price for Dane is too high. Them re-signing Schiltz suggests that Dane is a goner, but where is the question for sure.

this is a good point. And if I was Hamilton I wouldn’t let him go cheap. I mean who is the best qb2 available? Who do you go after when your starting qb goes down? 

Dane and Faj together in Mont.......can see it all now with Faj laying all the blame on Evans when it all goes south ...and Dane cringing on the bench in a fetal position ...crying and refusing to take the abuse.....As the world turns has got nothing on the CFL....lol....tune in next week