2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Kenny Lawler is trying to parlay his “in principle” contract with Winnipeg into a $333,000 counter-offer from Edmonton, according to reports I’ve read. Players who flip-flop are going to draw the ire of fans who thought a deal was done. 

That one's hard to believe.....especially after Kenny gave Edm. and the Elks a 'goodbye' announcement, in the media, on behalf of his family and himself the other day....Wishful thinking on behalf of some Elk's supporters or their local media, I would say...Usually a contract has to be submitted to the league ...signed and committed to by the player and team...I would say it's a done deal....IF it's not, anything done in ' legal tampering time', wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on, or the media time given to it

21 minutes ago, Stickem said:

That one's hard to believe.....especially after Kenny gave Edm. and the Elks a 'goodbye' announcement, in the media, on behalf of his family and himself the other day....Wishful thinking on behalf of some Elk's supporters or their local media, I would say...Usually a contract has to be submitted to the league ...signed and committed to by the player and team...I would say it's a done deal....IF it's not, anything done in ' legal tampering time', wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on, or the media time given to it

Then what’s the point of the whole window? If the agreement in principle is binding, then why delay? If the contract cannot be signed until the 14th, then maybe everything done on the “tampering window” is worth nothing, as you say, and players just leverage these announcements to see if they can squeeze more out of their current club one last time. Seems goofy. 

Lawler is signing in Winnipeg on Tuesday. It's a done deal. From his Insta post, to the LOLks signing every other big name receiver, to the Bombers player relations talking openly about it. It's done. 

and then this: 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/nfl/kryk-john-candy-tried-hard-to-woo-joe-montana-to-the-argos/wcm/f5ad3fd4-55ff-410f-af6d-80efbe49ccd3

I remember as a younger football fan wondering why Toronto always got the big name players.  I wonder what the CFL would have been if Montana had come to the Argos. Might have brought a lot of publicity to the league.

I would have to think that if an agreement in principle announcement is made, it means that the back and forth negotiations have taken place and the idea that this will "parlay" a larger offer from the other team is crazy.  A team isn't going to announce to its fans that they have reached an agreement with a player if that player can then simply return to their original team.  It may be theoretically possible but it's not going to be something that happens very often because the whole exercise would become pointless.

15 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Then what’s the point of the whole window? If the agreement in principle is binding, then why delay? If the contract cannot be signed until the 14th, then maybe everything done on the “tampering window” is worth nothing, as you say, and players just leverage these announcements to see if they can squeeze more out of their current club one last time. Seems goofy. 

You used the Lawler 'rumour' and so I commented on that....It would be a huge career damaging move on Kenny's part to announce that he has terminated things in Edm. and then terminate them in Winnipeg...How would you come back from something like that....Credibility damage irreverisible,I'd say IF that were to happen.....As far as the logistics of the 'legal tampering' period, it looks like to me like it has taken the place of free agency...I believe all of the player movement in this tampering time are solid and leaves very little player movement of any kind in the actual fa period of note ....for lack of a better word 'moot'....I think the league will have to have a real good look at what has transpired and address same

8 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I would have to think that if an agreement in principle announcement is made, it means that the back and forth negotiations have taken place and the idea that this will "parlay" a larger offer from the other team is crazy.  A team isn't going to announce to its fans that they have reached an agreement with a player if that player can then simply return to their original team.  It may be theoretically possible but it's not going to be something that happens very often because the whole exercise would become pointless.

Are teams announcing this? I've seen 3down and other media people, but I can't recall a team actually doing it.

37 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The agreements are not binding at all, like not even a little. Any player can change their mind at any point until the contract is signed. 

The tampering window was only made a thing officially, because everyone knew it was happening unofficially. CFL made it a thing, which is smart imo, as we're talking about the CFL for the past 6 days or so AND we will be talking about the CFL once FA starts. Basically added another week of mostly positive CFL news.

44 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

White staying is good for Hamilton. They are building a nice dl on paper.

Have not seen anything about Lawler trying to get more out of Edmonton. Need a source or in educator speak, show your work. Plenty of evidence such as his instagram posts and tweets by local reporters that he's coming home.

Basically Paul Friesen’s comments in this article (link is below) that the Elks still have a two-day window to match or exceed the Bomber offer, and that Lawler was seeking $1 million over 3 years. Clearly all speculation, but acknowledges that even an agreement in principle can be overturned and is not worth anything concrete. This was just my response to JCon wishing things were kept secret. It would seem to benefit the player to make an offer public to force the hand of his existing team, like an offer sheet in the NHL. I agree that the “tampering window” is really just optics to make transparent what has been going on for a long time - the practice of teams negotiating deals on the side before they are allowed to formally speak to a player under contract by another team.

I am confident Lawler is coming here, but the whole “tampering window “ does seem like a silly exercise, and all it takes is one back track of a player your team “signed in principle” and the howling will commence.

https://www.thepost.on.ca/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/one-step-closer-to-winnipeg-blue-bombers-kenny-lawler-posts-goodbye-message-to-edmonton/wcm/18cb4143-a961-48be-959c-2d713ed9a8f8/amp/

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Remember Richard karikaris deal being 78% done? Or last year Alden Darby changing his mind after the announcement with ott? Crazy things happen especially in the cfl. 

So far I like the tampering window. 

I like the Unofficial/Official signing that's going on but just seeing those words together makes the exercise seem ludicrous....It was mentioned that it does give the league exposure of sorts...and you know the old saying that any exposure is good exposure...especially at the slow points of a season....

Regarding the Kari-Kari on again off again contract we had with him , it turned into a joke and the Bombers weren't laughing....He said he had electronically forwarded a signed contract but there was some sort of timing issue with it that made it legal for him to walk on the contract....The whole transaction turned into a ....'he said this and they said that routine' and it made everyone look bad.... That was a contractural nightmare that no league wants to go down

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

But it's still not officially the team. The only announcements I've seen from an actual team are the ones when they're re-signing their own players.

Because the team can’t until they’re officially signed. But obviously a few teams are very confident in certain signings.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Agreements in principal aren't binding. 

Teams aren't announcing signings. 

That may be the downside, the media is running with these announcements but the CFL and teams are pretty much staying mute.  Stamp DE Folarin Orimolade was reportedly signing with Hamilton earlier in the week, he took a detour and signed with the Argos.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

That may be the downside, the media is running with these announcements but the CFL and teams are pretty much staying mute.  Stamp DE Folarin Orimolade was reportedly signing with Hamilton earlier in the week, he took a detour and signed with the Argos.

I know a few Stamps fans & they are livid with the loss of Orimolade & Thurman. Now, Lemon?? Impact players are leaving & they aren't signing any free agents. According to Danny Austin, the former beat writer of the Stamps who now covers the Flames for Postmedia in Calgary tweeted a couple of days ago that the Stamps have no money. A once promising team that looked like it may be a legit contender for the Grey Cup has lost many pieces of that team. I asked Austin why the team has no money? Is it ownership (Murray Edwards) not wanting to spend the money as the team is for sale? Or is Dickenson just being cheap? Austin never answered which is kinda typical for the guy. I've found that he's kind of a stuck up guy who always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. 

Whatever is happening, the team is being grinded down & fans are being affected. The team used to engage its base with fan friendly events but now they have very few events. They no longer do the Women's football clinics where female fans are introduced to the game. Coaches & players used to attend & it was a big hit. They used to have an Open House with fans where they could meet the players & coaches. There was a question & answer period with John Hufnagel when he was Head oach & GM. They served food & it was really a great atmosphere. That's gone. The team is absolutely invisible in Calgary in the off season. It's like there is no team. 

Living here, I've never seen it like this. I fear a situation like Edmonton where no one shows up. The fans I know are not renewing based on what they see as bad ownership & taking their money under false pretenses. That is, not fielding the best team that they can. One guy has been a season ticket holder for over fourty years & he told me he's done. 

6 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/nfl/kryk-john-candy-tried-hard-to-woo-joe-montana-to-the-argos/wcm/f5ad3fd4-55ff-410f-af6d-80efbe49ccd3

I remember as a younger football fan wondering why Toronto always got the big name players.  I wonder what the CFL would have been if Montana had come to the Argos. Might have brought a lot of publicity to the league.

Or he might have fallen flat on his face. Never know. 

39 minutes ago, bluto said:

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/toronto-argonauts-re-sign-running-back-a-j-ouellette-1.1918103

This is pretty good for the Scullers.

Also... Petition to change the thread name. Sorry.

That would have been a head scratcher had the Argos allowed Ouelette to sign with another team & they only had Harris who can't carry the load anymore by himself. Why the name change?