Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

49 minutes ago, Goldkobra said:

Different stages of their careers, though.  Medlock had a fair few years before he came here, Leggs is just getting started. Experience and maturity plays a role.

And we would be foolish to keep Liegghio over a kicker the caliber of Ward. If we did it would be strictly a money decision & usually cheaping out doesn't work well as you get what you pay for. Personally, I don't see Ward ever coming here as he's from the Ottawa area so that scenario will probably never happen.

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Re-watching the game I'm convinced Leggs was holding back on his punts for whatever reason, he does not put his full leg into them and it looked like he was more focused on placement over distance.  His punting during the regular season was great, if I had a vote that's the only job he would be doing next season.

51 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Unfortunately, we don’t have the option of sign all stars at every position.

The decision was made to let Castillo go to free agency. A mistake just like letting Alden Darby going to Hamilton. 

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And we would be foolish to keep Liegghio over a kicker the caliber of Ward. If we did it would be strictly a money decision & usually cheaping out doesn't work well as you get what you pay for. Personally, I don't see Ward ever coming here as he's from the Ottawa area so that scenario will probably never happen.

The decision was made to let Castillo go to free agency. A mistake just like letting Alden Darby going to Hamilton. 

It is obviously a money decision, but we have to stay under the salary cap.

Hard choices, man.

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Re-watching the game I'm convinced Leggs was holding back on his punts for whatever reason, he does not put his full leg into them and it looked like he was more focused on placement over distance.  His punting during the regular season was great, if I had a vote that's the only job he would be doing next season.

Seemed like it yeah. It was really odd. Trying not to punt singles but not really coffin corner either. Just ugly. Idk if that was our game plan maybe max hang time. 

Justin Medlock: 2007-2019, mix of NFL and CFL experience... 8 of 12 in NFL (66.7%), 283 of 329 in CFL (86.0%)

Sergio Castillo: 2014 - 2022, mix of NFL and CFL experience... 8 of 13 in NFL (61.5%), 124 of 145 (85.5%)

Marc Liegghio: 2021-2022, all CFL... 37 of 47 (78.7%)

The guy is just on the upswing of his career.  We were lucky to have been able to bring in Medlock and Castillo when we did, but guys like that don't come available every day and we were lucky with the timing on both of them.  It's very easy to say "bring in a guy with experience", but if a guy with experience if available you have to ask yourself why that's the case.

I remember what happened with Lirim Hajrullahu where he was unceremoniously let go after a lackluster season, and he has turned his career around and done quite well for himself (averaged over 80% in all of his years in the CFL minus the one when we let him go).  I didn't like that we let him go, and I wouldn't like it if we did the same with Liegghio.

55 minutes ago, Sard said:

Justin Medlock: 2007-2019, mix of NFL and CFL experience... 8 of 12 in NFL (66.7%), 283 of 329 in CFL (86.0%)

Sergio Castillo: 2014 - 2022, mix of NFL and CFL experience... 8 of 13 in NFL (61.5%), 124 of 145 (85.5%)

Marc Liegghio: 2021-2022, all CFL... 37 of 47 (78.7%)

The guy is just on the upswing of his career.  We were lucky to have been able to bring in Medlock and Castillo when we did, but guys like that don't come available every day and we were lucky with the timing on both of them.  It's very easy to say "bring in a guy with experience", but if a guy with experience if available you have to ask yourself why that's the case.

I remember what happened with Lirim Hajrullahu where he was unceremoniously let go after a lackluster season, and he has turned his career around and done quite well for himself (averaged over 80% in all of his years in the CFL minus the one when we let him go).  I didn't like that we let him go, and I wouldn't like it if we did the same with Liegghio.

Agree with your comments regarding our kickers past and present, especially Lirim Hajrullahu. That was sad and I'm seeing things haven't changed, as it happening, again with Leggs.

There are a few in here who love to complain for the sake of complaining, perhaps taking a lead from the provincial green supporters to the west of us. 

Now, I commented last year regarding an outing that Leggs had in which he struggled, supporting the Bombers and Leggs. Well a die heart responsed, upset no less "I don't agree, I expect perfection" from our kicker(s) and of course the sky was falling...  Apparently in Bomberland, our kickers & at times players/coaches on our team can't have down days (2 Grey Cups, last minute loss in past 3 Grey Cup games) and with each outing the Bombers did play an opposing team, I believe. In my opinion, the current management group is fully aware of things and do address situations when required, including the players.

Been a Bomber fan since the early 1960's, don't comment here very often as I'm just a fan and not an expert, but have coached (not football) in my younger days. Had Bomber season tickets, now a 5 game flex holder (and sometimes extra or out of town game), have sat in both stadiums, yelled at TV sets, listened to Bob, etc. Yes, there are things that upset and bother me, but going on and on about a situation, I just pump the brakes.  Yes, love the off season stuff which is upon us: (gm's/coach movement late Nov/Dec and Jan, free agents signings in Dec/Jan/Feb, draft stuff in Mar/Apr and actual draft in early May, training camps start late May). Fun times!

22 hours ago, Geebrr said:

His punting in the Cup was more frustrating than his PK. 

I still can’t remember watching a football game in my life that had back to back blocked FGs

I have to wonder how much the weather was a factor on Leggs. Perhaps, he is not a cold weather kicker. This was the first year we got to see him play in the cold and the results both K and P were not good. This is the only thing that gives me pause about his future as a Bomber. If we got a kicker that can't play in the elements we need to figure out a different plan. 

Certainly not saying that definitely was the problem in the GC, but a lot of players turn into busts when the mercury drops to -10, Leggs wouldn't be the first one.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's about making kicks in the clutch during big games when the pressure is on. Kickers are going to miss but the great ones make the ones that truly count. Castillo five FGs in 2021 GC. Medlock before him in 2019. 

The same Justin Medlock who went 6/7 in FGs in GC107?

You're talking out of your ass again.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Kyle Walters had your insight and expertise he might have been a sucessful GM... 

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Speesflex is just turning into Dave Ritchie. Rookies and young players = always worse than veterans and not worth putting time into.

Or has Speedflex been Dave Ritchie the entire time ?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I have to wonder how much the weather was a factor on Leggs. Perhaps, he is not a cold weather kicker. This was the first year we got to see him play in the cold and the results both K and P were not good. This is the only thing that gives me pause about his future as a Bomber. If we got a kicker that can't play in the elements we need to figure out a different plan. 

Certainly not saying that definitely was the problem in the GC, but a lot of players turn into busts when the mercury drops to -10, Leggs wouldn't be the first one.

If we're starting down that road, Collaros' play-off performances haven't been spectacular either. 

40 minutes ago, Jesse said:

If we're starting down that road, Collaros' play-off performances haven't been spectacular either. 

His "best" playoff game since joining this team was the 2019 West Final (17/25, 267 yards, 1 TD). FWIW, he has a 89.46 QBR in seven playoff games as a Blue Bomber.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, making 6 field goals in a game is damn good.

Sure. But a miss is a miss.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Hodge has an article in 3DN suggesting the Bombers will move on from Bryant because of his age. Smoke some more crack John. Good gravy.

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Bryant's been a cornerstone and the most consistent piece of the O-line for years, coming off another MOL season. Who would take his place?

Hodge and his galaxy-brain takes...

Bryant will retire a Bomber, I'd bet. He hasn't even really shown injury issues (knock on wood) to this point. Can't imagine him not re-signing. 

Re: Kicking...... Chris O'Leary (I think it was...) had a piece on CFL.ca about potential FA pairings that make sense, and he matched up the Bombers with Sean Whyte. I'm not sure that's something the Bombers would pursue, but it's interesting anyhow. Thing is, if Liegghio is your guy and you ever want him to grow into the role of The Guy, the only way he gets there is by playing. You can't keep bringing in other guys and expect Liegghio to get better just by watching. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Bryant will retire a Bomber, I'd bet. He hasn't even really shown injury issues (knock on wood) to this point. Can't imagine him not re-signing. 

Re: Kicking...... Chris O'Leary (I think it was...) had a piece on CFL.ca about potential FA pairings that make sense, and he matched up the Bombers with Sean Whyte. I'm not sure that's something the Bombers would pursue, but it's interesting anyhow. Thing is, if Liegghio is your guy and you ever want him to grow into the role of The Guy, the only way he gets there is by playing. You can't keep bringing in other guys and expect Liegghio to get better just by watching. 

Whyte moved back home to White Rock, I'd say the Lions are going to be his last team. I agree with you Noeller, need to let Leggs develop and get the playing time...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I don’t think anyone cares that much about Liegghio the football player, or really any of these guys.  The goal is to win in 2022 and if there’s a better option than they guy in any role they’ll take it.  They aren’t waiting on anyone.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Bryant's been a cornerstone and the most consistent piece of the O-line for years, coming off another MOL season. Who would take his place?

Hodge and his galaxy-brain takes...

Just a really bad reach even by his standards.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

The top OL is concern due to age? I mean I get that he is older for a football player but guy was just named the top OL in the CFL. Hodge is an idiot.

He just brought him up as one of a handful of aging vets who haven't been signed yet.

Certainly never suggested the Bombers should move on from him.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

The top OL is concern due to age? I mean I get that he is older for a football player but guy was just named the top OL in the CFL. Hodge is an idiot.

The premise of his article was that the Bombers have too many players over 30 and need to get younger. He identified Bryant and a few others as players the Bombers might move on from. He is right that we have a few guys on the wrong side of 30, but Bryant is not one that should be discussed in this particular conversation.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

He just brought him up as one of a handful of aging vets who haven't been signed yet.

Certainly never suggested the Bombers should move on from him.

Said the Bombers might move on from him. At no point did I suggest he said the Bombers should move on from him. It is beyond stupid to think that the Bombers might move on from Bryant. If the GOAT wants to return Walters will hand him a contract 2 seconds later. Just an idiotic premise that the Bombers might look at moving on from him. Bryant will be a Bomber until his play dictates we need to move on, or he doesn't want to be. There is zero chance that we have a TIMEX on his career. 

Also, I am not quite clear why he is worrying about us aging out. We will play our vets until they cannot play at a level their contract dictates they should be at, and just as we have always done we will draft, scout, develop and sign players in FA to fill their spots when they no longer can go. How do the Bombers get younger was the premise of the article. The answer is pretty obvious and it doesn't involve putting a stop watch on players careers for the arbitrary reason of getting younger. We will get younger when we have to by superior scouting, drafting, and FA and through superior roster management, and having the best depth in the league that are ready to go and even push vets out of their way. The only time any team needs to worry about their core aging out is if they don't have quality depth behind them. Our depth has been unparalleled over the past few years, aging out is not a concern.

Edited by GCn20