Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The premise of his article was that the Bombers have too many players over 30 and need to get younger. He identified Bryant and a few others as players the Bombers might move on from. He is right that we have a few guys on the wrong side of 30, but Bryant is not one that should be discussed in this particular conversation.

Said the Bombers might move on from him. At no point did I suggest he said the Bombers should move on from him. It is beyond stupid to think that the Bombers might move on from Bryant. If the GOAT wants to return Walters will hand him a contract 2 seconds later. Just an idiotic premise that the Bombers might look at moving on from him. Bryant will be a Bomber until his play dictates we need to move on, or he doesn't want to be. There is zero chance that we have a TIMEX on his career.

Well, you said he needs to "smoke more crack" and that it was "a really bad reach" - the only thing that would be a reach is if Hodge said the Bombers should move on.

Hodge clearly states that the prospect of losing Stanley would be his decision, not the Bombers:

"Bryant is the oldest of the bunch as he will turn 37 by the time next season rolls around. I spoke with him during Grey Cup week and he described his future as a “year-to-year thing” that depends on his mind, body, and family situation"

36 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don’t think anyone cares that much about Liegghio the football player, or really any of these guys.  The goal is to win in 2022 and if there’s a better option than they guy in any role they’ll take it.  They aren’t waiting on anyone.

The cold hard facts of professional dollar driven sports.

I get the push to be younger. More upside and room to improve. At the same time if you cut too much of the tip age bracket you can ruin the culture of a locker room. 

we need to be better on the ol in 2023 than we were in 2022. They finished strong through a lot of injuries. Hardrick and Bryant are a big part of the heart and soul of this team. 

personally, I hope Richmond is finally healthy and able to step in if/when one of our tackles needs a couple weeks to recover from an injury. Or see gray really get a chance to develop at T. I’d love to see Dobson take over at guard or even center. 

I expect that every starter that resigns here will start next year out of camp as long as they are healthy. And legitimately I think better health at a couple positions and more development from our guys will still take us far. 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Well, you said he needs to "smoke more crack" and that it was "a really bad reach" - the only thing that would be a reach is if Hodge said the Bombers should move on.

Hodge clearly states that the prospect of losing Stanley would be his decision, not the Bombers:

"Bryant is the oldest of the bunch as he will turn 37 by the time next season rolls around. I spoke with him during Grey Cup week and he described his future as a “year-to-year thing” that depends on his mind, body, and family situation"

Cherry picking one paragraph but ignoring the next is not clearly demonstrating what Hodge said. He also stated that if the Bombers decided to move on from Bryant, not vice versa, that Richmond would be a guy they would look at and even suggesting the Bombers might move on from Bryant this offseason is ridiculous and clueless. Yes, he stated that Bryant could choose to retire, but the next paragraph proposes his opinion of what would occur if the Bombers moved on. Idiotic. There is zero chance that the Bombers move on from Bryant this offseason unless he hurts himself training.

Edited by GCn20

I read the Hodge piece... all he really does is suggest that, by virtue of being the oldest guy on the roster, the Bombers COULD move on from Bryant and that Bryant himself might hang them up because things are "year to year" for him, depending on how his body feels and his family situation. I don't think the Hodge piece is as malicious as being represented here, more just a semi-desperate attempt to create content out of almost nothing...

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I read the Hodge piece... all he really does is suggest that, by virtue of being the oldest guy on the roster, the Bombers COULD move on from Bryant and that Bryant himself might hang them up because things are "year to year" for him, depending on how his body feels and his family situation. I don't think the Hodge piece is as malicious as being represented here, more just a semi-desperate attempt to create content out of almost nothing...

Walters made a comment during his interview about needing to move on from 1-2 older guys per year to avoid having to replace more all at once.

The article is just extending that thought. It’s not a terrible premise. When I read it, it never once occurred to me that Hodge was suggesting the Bombers move on from Bryant. It’s not a big leap to wonder about the intentions of a 37 year old football player.

38 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Agreed, but Big Stan also said “see ya next year” during his award speech. 

Sounds like he wants to come back 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Fair enough, but in this day and age I want a return to thinking things through from the media. Too many poor logic pieces out there.

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

Nice! I’m predicting with a full season in the Blue and Gold this guy is going to be a CFL all star! Love how he came in late in the season and did not miss a beat!

I really like this signing.  His play and Parker's improvement game by game was very noticeable towards the end of the year.  Should bode well for our secondary next year.

14 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Agreed, but Big Stan also said “see ya next year” during his award speech. 

Sounds like he wants to come back 

The will is never what fails in a guy like that. It’s always the body. He would play into his 50s if his body would allow it. 

13 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Nice! I’m predicting with a full season in the Blue and Gold this guy is going to be a CFL all star! Love how he came in late in the season and did not miss a beat!

Ditto. Great pick up. I wasn’t sure he would sign soo fast being here for a short term. But I mean jy is an excellent coach and this system puts dbs in a position or make plays. 

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

Doesn't that categorize MOST of Hodge's work?

Seeing these makes me wonder what more did Schoen have to do for an NFL shot?  Can't just be his age since Jaelon Acklin, who is a year older, got a look with Denver.  What makes his stats even more impressive, is that he maintained this pace the whole season unlike some of the other guys (Mitchell, Henry) who missed a significant chunk of the year.

FjYzpJCXkAE8A0q?format=jpg&name=small

FjYx0foXoAgmcpw?format=jpg&name=small

FjYwQnCWQAInJjb?format=jpg&name=small

Schoen is a phenom and could have a legendary career in the CFL. 

I'm thinking, albeit speculatively, that Schoen thrived in 2022 because of the waggle. His ability to time his route hitting the LOS at the snap made him so dangerous and very difficult to defend. He's crazy fast when he hits stride, which, when combined with his clean route running, agile movement, and silky hands, makes him a prototypical CFL receiver, IMO.

I'm curious if that success up here would translate in the NFL without the advantage of using the waggle to pick up speed prior to hitting the LOS. Burst speed off the line could be a difference maker.

18 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Schoen is a phenom and could have a legendary career in the CFL. 

I'm thinking, albeit speculatively, that Schoen thrived in 2022 because of the waggle. His ability to time his route hitting the LOS at the snap made him so dangerous and very difficult to defend. He's crazy fast when he hits stride, which, when combined with his clean route running, agile movement, and silky hands, makes him a prototypical CFL receiver, IMO.

I'm curious if that success up here would translate in the NFL without the advantage of using the waggle to pick up speed prior to hitting the LOS. Burst speed off the line could be a difference maker.

I firmly believe this. I don't think his style of game translates to todays NFL. In the NFL today, the best WR are basically all quick twitch style receivers. Get off the line quickly to get that quick pass and YAC play going. If anything, if he can bulk up a bit more he could potentially make a wicked TE. But that comes with a lot of question marks too.