Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I think it's also the fact that Rene got beat out for his job.

Rene was a rookie correct? I'm not sure he ever really had a "job". He was hurt more than he played this year. Which is a reoccurring theme from his college days. It's unfortunate, but inthink this is based on his body not being able to do the job.

12 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Would it make sense to keep Legghio for everything but PK and find a solid kicker?

I still think it makes sense to let him keep growing, but mostly because who else are you going to get that's close to automatic? If there were a lot of guys out there that fit the bill, every team would have one. So because of that, and the fact that you have one of the best CIS kickers of all time in house, it just makes more sense to let the kid keep progressing. If he can take another leap forward next year as he did this past year then we're in good shape... 

Edited by Noeller

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I still think it makes sense to let him keep growing, but mostly because who else are you going to get that's close to automatic? If there were a lot of guys out there that fit the bill, every team would have one. So because of that, and the fact that you have one of the best CIS kickers of all time in house, it just makes more sense to let the kid keep progressing. If he can take another leap forward next year as he did this past year then we're in good shape... 

I totally agree and yes,if he does make the jump from last year to this year and onto to next year then we should be in great shape but it still feels like a huge risk to wait and see now considering what the kicking did cost us this year.

16 minutes ago, Nolby said:

Would it make sense to keep Legghio for everything but PK and find a solid kicker?

He's the only CFL kicker left trying to do all 3 jobs, that tells us most teams have moved on from the concept but also indicates he's an economical solution, if one can live with the compromise of being adequate at all 3 jobs but not the best.

On 2022-12-02 at 12:18 PM, Bigblue204 said:

I could see Burnham hanging them up

He's certainly going nowhere. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Okay, but still..... Who is out there that you'd wanna bring in to kick if you're gonna have Liegghio just do punts or just do punts and KOs...? Who's out there that's better? 

We here who are posters aren't in personnel so we have no idea the contract status of kickers everywhere. I can assure you that there are better kickers than Liegghio out there. We watch them every week. Walters made it known yesterday that Liegs will have to work to keep his kicking position & that maybe doing all 3 jobs isn't the best idea for him or the team. 

21 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

He's the only CFL kicker left trying to do all 3 jobs, that tells us most teams have moved on from the concept but also indicates he's an economical solution, if one can live with the compromise of being adequate at all 3 jobs but not the best.

Good point. The decision to use exclusively Leggs for the season is on the bombers. Probably saving money, but still not a fully experienced and seasoned vet. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d personally be fine sticking with Leggz. Sean Whyte is the only upcoming FA that I could see maybe being here for a year in a mentorship role. 

I'd also be open to bringing in a Global to compete at one of the positions.

Taking something off Legg's plate might help him out. 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I dont want them to give up on legs. But I agree with bringing in competition for TC and maybe taking something off his plate during the season.

I'm still confused by how much he struggled with extra points.

I agree,he looked like he 100% redeemed himself after his 55 yarder vs Sask. He made an impressive jump from last year to this year but the wrinkles still came out at the worst possible time. If he gets better like he did from 2021-2022 then we could see a really good Legghio for 2023 but that's a what if,obviously.

Edited by Nolby

On 2022-12-03 at 1:40 PM, Noeller said:

Okay, but still..... Who is out there that you'd wanna bring in to kick if you're gonna have Liegghio just do punts or just do punts and KOs...? Who's out there that's better? 

Lewis Ward is an FA, but I'm torn between signing a forever place kicker and giving Legs another chance with competition from outside.

11 hours ago, Geebrr said:

His punting in the Cup was more frustrating than his PK. 

I still can’t remember watching a football game in my life that had back to back blocked FGs

This. Net average of 24.6 yards per punt.  Better off throwing  deep balls and picks than punting at that point. 
 Torontos starting position sunk us the whole day even on kick offs  58.5 avg yards on kick offs. Bede averaged 72.7 yards per kick off and their punter put up 49 per punt. Grant is the only thing that kept field position close. Legs put up 39 gross per punt. That means Toronto out gained us 10 yards on every punt and 14 per kick off. That’s huge in a 1 point game. 

Argos starting field position after our first drive a two and out was their 50. They got two first downs and kicked a fg.

I’m always in favour of bringing in an extra leg for camp. When you have a medlock bring in a young guy with upside.  Ideally with a young kicker I’d say bring in a vet. But in this case with our great vet kicks easily available I’d say being in a good us kicker.  

im confident in our ability to grow with legs. He’s taken big strides. And he played extremely well during the season. Competition brings out to best though. 

Edited by wbbfan

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

This. Net average of 24.6 yards per punt.  Better off throwing  deep balls and picks than punting at that point. 
 Torontos starting position sunk us the whole day even on kick offs  58.5 avg yards on kick offs. Bede averaged 72.7 yards per kick off and their punter put up 49 per punt. Grant is the only thing that kept field position close. Legs put up 39 gross per punt. That means Toronto out gained us 10 yards on every punt and 14 per kick off. That’s huge in a 1 point game. 

Argos starting field position after our first drive a two and out was their 50. They got two first downs and kicked a fg  and their punter put up 49.2 per punt. Grant is the only 

I’m always in favour of bringing in an extra leg for camp. When you have a medlock bring in a young guy with upside.  Ideally with a young kicker I’d say bring in a vet. But in this case with our great vet kicks easily available I’d say being in a good us kicker.  

im confident in our ability to grow with legs. He’s taken big strides. And he played extremely well during the season. Competition brings out to best though. 

Re-watching the game I'm convinced Leggs was holding back on his punts for whatever reason, he does not put his full leg into them and it looked like he was more focused on placement over distance.  His punting during the regular season was great, if I had a vote that's the only job he would be doing next season.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Re-watching the game I'm convinced Leggs was holding back on his punts for whatever reason, he does not put his full leg into them and it looked like he was more focused on placement over distance.  His punting during the regular season was great, if I had a vote that's the only job he would be doing next season.

Always...that's the point. He was a really good placement punter this year. 

And he puts two right down the middle of the field, one ends up being the big return.

You hope he gets used to the moment the more experience he gets but sure seemed to be very uneasy in that game and West Final too.

Liegghio is kind of the jack of all trades, master of none version of kicker and in this day and age with the expectations on these guys to basically be as close to perfect as possible it takes an extremely special talent (like Medlock) to fill that role.

There are a lot more punters around than kickers though, if you wanted to develop Liegghio to do one job I think it's placekicking.  But he doesn't have a consistently huge leg.  Palardy plus.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There are a lot more punters around than kickers though, if you wanted to develop Liegghio to do one job I think it's placekicking.  But he doesn't have a consistently huge leg.  Palardy plus.

I agree with this part, anyhow. There's just not a lot of placekickers around. You could bring in a rando Euro/Aussie punter for sure. I still have faith though, and think Liegghio can take the next step in '23...

Edited by Noeller

9 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Lewis Ward is an FA, but I'm torn between signing a forever place kicker and giving Legs another chance with competition from outside.

And if a makeable FG from under 45 yards sails wide on the last play of the Western Final & we lose, what do you say then? If Ward wants to come here, it would be total insanity to say Liegghio deserves another chance. What this shows me is just how strong mentally Justin Medlock was when he played here. he could go on a tear & kick 20 straight, miss one & then go on another streak. He was unflappable. That's not easy.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And if a makeable FG from under 45 yards sails wide on the last play of the Western Final & we lose, what do you say then? If Ward wants to come here, it would be total insanity to say Liegghio deserves another chance. What this shows me is just how strong mentally Justin Medlock was when he played here. he could go on a tear & kick 20 straight, miss one & then go on another streak. He was unflappable. That's not easy.

Different stages of their careers, though.  Medlock had a fair few years before he came here, Leggs is just getting started. Experience and maturity plays a role.

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Unfortunately, we don’t have the option of sign all stars at every position.