Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

Again, nobody ever suggested Walters would walk away... The question is whether Miller brings him back. And I mean we think that decision is obvious but, maybe not...?? I dunno. I'm sure something will get done, it's just that they usually do Osh and KW at the same time. There's definitely SOMETHING going on, I just hope it's that they're waiting for the management cap to go up o's they can give Walters a proper raise... 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Again, nobody ever suggested Walters would walk away... The question is whether Miller brings him back. And I mean we think that decision is obvious but, maybe not...?? I dunno. I'm sure something will get done, it's just that they usually do Osh and KW at the same time. There's definitely SOMETHING going on, I just hope it's that they're waiting for the management cap to go up o's they can give Walters a proper raise... 

Miller is just trying to keep the price down.  Walters ain't going anywhere unless he wants to.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

and also this: 

It sounds to me like Wade is talking dollars. O'Shea is probably the highest paid coach in the CFL now, the co-ordinators and their assistants have all been with the team for awhile and probably received a few salary bumps along the way, and nobody other than LaPo has moved onto greener pastures.  No turnover in the staff, leads to fatter salaries across the board, Wade might have to consider offering Ritchie Hall a retirement package next year to free up some dollars to pay Walters.

52 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

It sounds to me like Wade is talking dollars. O'Shea is probably the highest paid coach in the CFL now, the co-ordinators and their assistants have all been with the team for awhile and probably received a few salary bumps along the way, and nobody other than LaPo has moved onto greener pastures.  No turnover in the staff, leads to fatter salaries across the board, Wade might have to consider offering Ritchie Hall a retirement package next year to free up some dollars to pay Walters.

And something like that may be exactly what’s happening. 

But it’s all..whatever will be, will be. I have zero concerns about Walters. How they manage it is above our heads and kept completely private until they announce it.

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

So do we move on from some guys? 

Rose? Ellingson? 

I think we have Lawrence and Houston under contract for next year… I’d rank those two ahead of Rose at this point… unless Rose comes back cheap, they could move on from him…

Ellingson probably depends on how the receiver chips fall in free agency… if we bring back Lawler or sign another big name receiver then there’s probably not a spot for Ellingson. 

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think we have Lawrence and Houston under contract for next year… I’d rank those two ahead of Rose at this point… unless Rose comes back cheap, they could move on from him…

Ellingson probably depends on how the receiver chips fall in free agency… if we bring back Lawler or sign another big name receiver then there’s probably not a spot for Ellingson. 

As much as I like Rose this is true. We have two more than capable corners now in Lawrence and Houston. Then if we have Nichols, Parker, Holm, BA, Darby.. Not to mention our ability to scout DBs... I don't see a big contract coming for Rose

Edited by BBlink

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

The operations cap is a poor idea. No reason to penalize teams who can and will spend more on scouting and quality coaching. Its limiting the ability to move on from poor coaching and GM hires as well. 

and the thing is, I think everyone knows it, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets tossed or at least the limit raised quite a bit.....which might be why Walters new deal isn't done. Everyone seems to think Miller basically runs the league, so I wonder if he wouldn't raise **** at the league level to get that changed, and then give Walters a big raise (which he's earned...) 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Perhaps going cheaper at the lower rung positions...

Yet they seem to keep those guys forever too which wouldn't make sense if they were cheaping out. 

Mueller, their QB coach declined the OC position in Sask partly because he was happy with the money he makes in Calgary.

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

and the thing is, I think everyone knows it, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets tossed or at least the limit raised quite a bit.....which might be why Walters new deal isn't done. Everyone seems to think Miller basically runs the league, so I wonder if he wouldn't raise **** at the league level to get that changed, and then give Walters a big raise (which he's earned...) 

At the very least it looks to be going back up.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/24/cfl-operations-cap-to-increase-to-pre-pandemic-levels-in-2023-report/

Being told the @CFL football ops cap is increasing to 2.5 million (from 2.3). The cap had been reduced during covid, this brings it back. Spots are still the same, up to 11 coaches and 25 total in football ops.

16 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Perhaps going cheaper at the lower rung positions...

I'd say Huff is by far the highest paid executive in the CFL. Dickenson is on his 2nd HC contract now. Pinball doesn't come cheap. We know the Argos don't underpay for their HC & Coordinators. BC has 2 GM's. BC also pays their HC Campbell very well. I think the only two teams who may underpay are the RedBlacks & Riders. Sean Burke & Bob Dyce don't strike me as two guys that other teams would have overpaid to sign. JOD & dickenson couldn't work for other teams in the same capacity.