Stumps @ Back 2 Back Champs: Week Of Thread

Noeller

About the O-line... we've talked about Tua Eli a bit around here... I would have to guess he's moved away from football (or is there still a travel ban on unvaccinated?)... otherwise you'd think he would be on a roster somewhere.... another guy from the "where are they now" file is Cody Speller... according to cfl.ca he's a FA and still only 28... I wonder if he's moved away from football at this point. 

15 minutes ago, bearpants said:

About the O-line... we've talked about Tua Eli a bit around here... I would have to guess he's moved away from football (or is there still a travel ban on unvaccinated?)... otherwise you'd think he would be on a roster somewhere.... another guy from the "where are they now" file is Cody Speller... according to cfl.ca he's a FA and still only 28... I wonder if he's moved away from football at this point. 

I am sure of one thing.

The only way to avoid OL catastrophe is to trust our scouting and development- not reach back to guys who haven’t played since before the covid year.

I'm not overly concerned...Bryant and Yosh been nicked all yr, and still are playing basically as the best Tackle tandem in the league...Couture is gonna be back sooner than later, and even tho Kolonkowski has been adequate.....its the fact he's adequate and a bit over matched a lot of times, and it has caused some issues....there is a reason he has been a career backup, and he will be fine as the 6th guy when Couture is back. Grey as well gets a lot of grief on here, but it's unwarranted...sure he's not Desjarlais but who in the league is?...ya...nobody...he will be jut fine...is just fine and plays with an edge and irritates the hell out of defenses...Neuf knicked too, is he starting to decline?...maybe....maybe it's injury/compensating to help Kolonkowski...we will see when Couture comes back. Especially now that BO has seemed to hit his stride...

Dobson is not ready yet to replace anyone, and likely sees the bench once Couture is back, and thats fine...I see him being more a factor for next yr anyway...and who knows...maybe next yr we tweak ratio and go with 3 imports on oline.

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'm not overly concerned...Bryant and Yosh been nicked all yr, and still are playing basically as the best Tackle tandem in the league...Couture is gonna be back sooner than later, and even tho Kolonkowski has been adequate.....its the fact he's adequate and a bit over matched a lot of times, and it has caused some issues....there is a reason he has been a career backup, and he will be fine as the 6th guy when Couture is back. Grey as well gets a lot of grief on here, but it's unwarranted...sure he's not Desjarlais but who in the league is?...ya...nobody...he will be jut fine...is just fine and plays with an edge and irritates the hell out of defenses...Neuf knicked too, is he starting to decline?...maybe....maybe it's injury/compensating to help Kolonkowski...we will see when Couture comes back. Especially now that BO has seemed to hit his stride...

Dobson is not ready yet to replace anyone, and likely sees the bench once Couture is back, and thats fine...I see him being more a factor for next yr anyway...and who knows...maybe next yr we tweak ratio and go with 3 imports on oline.

I don't know man... You can say "it's fine", but the OL has taken a significant step back this year. 

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't know man... You can say "it's fine", but the OL has taken a significant step back this year. 

Losing Couture was big, and Neufeld has been playing on a broken wing all season. Even Stan and Yosh have been nicked up. Our OL is still dominant and the mistakes we are seeing are a result of some lost cohesiveness because of injury and having a new LG and C. Our problem is not lack of talent, or depth, like Regina for instance. We just need our big guys to find their groove in the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

well when starting center is out...and 3 other starters are paying hurt....it should take a step back..they were lights out less than half a yr ago....highly unlikely the 3 allstars who weren't 6 gamed all regressed to significant bad play...nope

Totally agree. Also, the hot months are when almost every team gets some suspect OL play. When the temp hits +30 it hits the 300 lbers a lot harder than everybody else.

55 minutes ago, Booch said:

well when starting center is out...and 3 other starters are paying hurt....it should take a step back..they were lights out less than half a yr ago....highly unlikely the 3 allstars who weren't 6 gamed all regressed to significant bad play...nope

Agreed. Plus we have some of the talented young guys figuring it out like Gray and Dobson. We will be just fine. We don’t have a bad o-line by any means, just not as dominant as we’re accustomed to seeing. 

59 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Losing Couture was big, and Neufeld has been playing on a broken wing all season. Even Stan and Yosh have been nicked up. Our OL is still dominant and the mistakes we are seeing are a result of some lost cohesiveness because of injury and having a new LG and C. Our problem is not lack of talent, or depth, like Regina for instance. We just need our big guys to find their groove in the 2nd half.

Totally agree. Also, the hot months are when almost every team gets some suspect OL play. When the temp hits +30 it hits the 300 lbers a lot harder than everybody else.

not to mention 10 games in a row...with like 5 in a short span...and mostly on road...with minimal practice...it all adds up

1 hour ago, Booch said:

So..... if he's coming back, its not Cancel Couture?

16 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Potentially Dobson is ready next year, no?

If they actually play him at guard sure. Right now unless he’s a hot mess I’d put him at centre. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd bet a years salary that the Goat of Goats job is safe.

I bet a lot of people would’ve said that of Dave mud he and a bunch of guys late in their career. 
 Bryant is far from out worst ol, but he’s been beaten badly especially by bull rushes a lot this year. His side of the ol has been significantly worse. 
 I’m not saying he can’t get it done and maybe hardrick could succeed at guard now despite struggling at it when he came here. But the fact is our ol play is the biggest risk to the teams success and collaros career. And it’s not by a small margin. 
you can’t just go out and find starting quality ni ol mid season. You can find starting quality imps though. 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

I am sure of one thing.

The only way to avoid OL catastrophe is to trust our scouting and development- not reach back to guys who haven’t played since before the covid year.

He played last season in the west final…

3 hours ago, Geebrr said:

He probably doesn’t want to play 

This is what I assume. Either he doesn’t want to play or he doesn’t want to play enough to get the shot. Damn shame. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

our ol isn’t dominant. It hasn’t been at any point this year. 
 Playing on the line isn’t easier when it’s freezing. Every thing in football is hard when it’s really hot or really cold. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

not to mention 10 games in a row...with like 5 in a short span...and mostly on road...with minimal practice...it all adds up

last years schedule was craptastic and every bit as bad. And the previous 4 ish years saw lots of time lost due to injury on the ol. 

The line isn’t going to get healthy mid season or late season. Especially playing continually. The only chance at improvement will be a change which unless desjarlais gets cut is going to have to be an imp coming in for an ni. But at this point a double switch would be optimal with kola out and imp in and sliding a couple guys around. Change like that is difficult at first but easily surmountable mid season. 

41 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If they actually play him at guard sure. Right now unless he’s a hot mess I’d put him at centre. 

I bet a lot of people would’ve said that of Dave mud he and a bunch of guys late in their career. 
 Bryant is far from out worst ol, but he’s been beaten badly especially by bull rushes a lot this year. His side of the ol has been significantly worse. 
 I’m not saying he can’t get it done and maybe hardrick could succeed at guard now despite struggling at it when he came here. But the fact is our ol play is the biggest risk to the teams success and collaros career. And it’s not by a small margin. 
you can’t just go out and find starting quality ni ol mid season. You can find starting quality imps though. 

I'm assuming you mean Dave Mudge. And the fact you'd even bring the two up in a kind of comparison is laughable. There isn't a LT in the league who could replace Bryant this year and by mid point there were plenty of media types giving him the Best OL award (for that half of season). Bryant might not be having his best year, but to suggest his job isn't safe might be the most ridiculous thing I've seen you post.

Next year is another story. No one knows what the future holds. But as far as 2022 goes. Bryant will be the Starting LT of the Bombers until injury strikes or he for some reason says he no longer wants to do that.