Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

26 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yeah well, I never went beyond being a goalie at recess ball hockey games. But I had a hockey stick in my bedroom - used pretend I was Jean Beliveau - winning all the faceoffs. 

When I watched HNIC back in the late 60's & early 70's, I was Tony Esposito pretending to make all those saves. Or leaning on a broom or hockey stick in our basement rec room  like Ken Dryden. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My dream was to play in a Brier. By the time I was 25, I realized my dream was over. Curses to those skips who didn't give me a chance to compete at the provincial level. I tried, I really tried. I'd spend sleepless nights wondering why others got a chance & I didn't. Why didn't they realize I was a human being like them with dreams, emotions & feelings? I was a helluva C Group curler at the Fort Rouge CC with a solid.... SOLID... 55% shooting average. I needed someone to say. "Hey you curl like a piece of crap, Give it up already. The only way you go to the Brier is if you buy a ticket". ;)

Quite the difference you are referencing. Lirim has been to the brier, using your analogy, albeit only as a spare. He has played at the highest level and although he wasn't quite good enough to stick so far, he is in most GM's rolodex as a guy they can call in a pinch. From there you never know. He can come to the CFL and make 150k CAD or he can go to the XFL and make 81k CAD for half the games played, and keep kicking by NFL rules on an NFL field. Also, there is absolutely nothing stopping a kicker from playing both leagues if they want...it isn't like they will get worn out.

7 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Liriam and his family came to this country as refuges with just the clothes on their backs. I don't blame him for trying to maximize his potential to earn life-changing money.

So have a lot of people. TBH, I don't care if he kicks for us or not. He can try getting to the NFL till he's 55 if he wants. I wish him all the best.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I used to regale myself. Especially after a game in the bar lamenting that shot that got away from me as I missed the broom. There were more than a few of those during my career. 

I only regaled the shots that happened before the 7th end, by then the brandy would take hold and the last 3 ends were all a blur.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I only regaled the shots that happened before the 7th end, by then the brandy would take hold and the last 3 ends were all a blur.

The greatest shame of my curling life was losing as young teens to a guy so drunk he could barely stand. Still to this day bothers me. ******* outside sheets with funky ice.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The greatest shame of my curling life was losing as young teens to a guy so drunk he could barely stand. Still to this day bothers me. ******* outside sheets with funky ice.

Might have been me you lost too. Don't know...can't remember many final scores. I like to think I won most of my games though. Just can't verify that through the use of memories.

• WinnipegGordo changed the title to Former Bombers in NFL (and spring league) news
  • WinnipegGordo changed the title to Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news