Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That's the thing, it's not that I think Streveler is a super polished passer with no room for improvement.... but this idea that he can't make all the throws is just laughable. He's got enough arm to do everything on the field in addition to the ability to just flat out run over a defence too. 

The dude was able to flick passes down the field with ease without even planting his foot.  The guy has plenty of arm strength.   When LaPo didn't get cute and make weird plays for the guy and just let him run a normal vanilla offense... he did really well.  I want Strev back ... in 2 years once Zach retires.  

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The dude was able to flick passes down the field with ease without even planting his foot.  The guy has plenty of arm strength.   When LaPo didn't get cute and make weird plays for the guy and just let him run a normal vanilla offense... he did really well.  I want Strev back ... in 2 years once Zach retires.  

3 seasons - Grey Cup 2025 will be in Winnipeg.  Zach & Strevy can team again up to win it all at home before Zach rides off into the sunset.

Strev is perceived as having a weak arm only because of his throwing style...which is a bit unusual, but effective...He is a short armer...so to speak, and a wrist thrower...go watch Phillip Rivers tape...same style 

Just because you are unorthodox doesnt mean u are flawed, and he will prob also never wreck his shoulder throwing

The day he first came up here..I was at Stadium...watched his workout after practice...went through the gambit of QB throws and nailed them all...and then when throwing to live recievers...was on the money, and could air it out more than fine

Dude cant develop without consistent play time...but looks night and day ahead of where he was here, and even when he was here...it was only his 3rd and 4th yr as a full-time QB...People forget that...he was as raw as raw could be coming into 2019 pro camp...the fact he did what he did was amazing..

8 hours ago, Booch said:

Strev is perceived as having a weak arm only because of his throwing style...which is a bit unusual, but effective...He is a short armer...so to speak, and a wrist thrower...go watch Phillip Rivers tape...same style 

Just because you are unorthodox doesnt mean u are flawed, and he will prob also never wreck his shoulder throwing

The day he first came up here..I was at Stadium...watched his workout after practice...went through the gambit of QB throws and nailed them all...and then when throwing to live recievers...was on the money, and could air it out more than fine

Dude cant develop without consistent play time...but looks night and day ahead of where he was here, and even when he was here...it was only his 3rd and 4th yr as a full-time QB...People forget that...he was as raw as raw could be coming into 2019 pro camp...the fact he did what he did was amazing..

So, for the sake of discussion let's say you're right (& you know I respect your opinion) then the question has to be asked, why isn't Streveler starting in 2023? Why is it such a struggle for him to get playing time on every team he plays?

Coaches want to win. Sure, if they draft a qb in the first or second round  they'll give him every opportunity to start because of the huge monetary investment they'd have in a high qb draft pick. But there comes a time when even a high draft pick has to perform & if he doesn't he's replaced. Strev seemed to outplay every other qb with the Jets in the pre season & on TNF a few weeks ago yet he always remains either on the PR or is Number 3. No matter what he does.

Robert Saleh isn't stupid. Saleh's not secure as a HC in New York so he needs a qb he feels he can win with. Doesn't look like it's Streveler. He appears to have very little confidence in him. He's only played in one game this season. Even the ancient Joe Flacco was ahead of him on the Jets depth chart last game. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, for the sake of discussion let's say you're right (& you know I respect your opinion) then the question has to be asked, why isn't Streveler starting in 2023? Why is it such a struggle for him to get playing time on every team he plays?

Coaches want to win. Sure, if they draft a qb in the first or second round  they'll give him every opportunity to start because of the huge monetary investment they'd have in a high qb draft pick. But there comes a time when even a high draft pick has to perform & if he doesn't he's replaced. Strev seemed to outplay every other qb with the Jets in the pre season & on TNF a few weeks ago yet he always remains either on the PR or is Number 3. No matter what he does.

Robert Saleh isn't stupid. Saleh's not secure as a HC in New York so he needs a qb he feels he can win with. Doesn't look like it's Streveler. He appears to have very little confidence in him. He's only played in one game this season. Even the ancient Joe Flacco was ahead of him on the Jets depth chart last game. 

You know there's far more than being able to make all the throws to starting in the NFL. Can you give an example of his time here where he didn't have the arm strength to complete a pass? I can think of numerous deep passes he hit on the money. I find it hard to believe a guy who could make all the throws in the CFL, is suddenly unable to make all the throws on a smaller field.

Edited by Bigblue204

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

NFL politics..plain and some...there's nothing invested in him other than min salary ..and the fact he only played 2 season in NCAA as a QB...and up here..as much as people wanna dispute it..Lapo almost ruined him

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

You know there's far more than being able to make all the throws to starting in the NFL. Can you give an example of his time here where he didn't have the arm strength to complete a pass? I can think of numerous deep passes he hit on the money. I find it hard to believe a guy who could make all the throws in the CFL, is suddenly unable to make all the throws on a smaller field.

Yup..Lapo neutered him...and when u don't get to practice things in practice a QB should be...then expect in games for him to switch over from the stupidity Lapo had drawn up..well u get misfires

3 hours ago, Booch said:

NFL politics..plain and some...there's nothing invested in him other than min salary ..and the fact he only played 2 season in NCAA as a QB...and up here..as much as people wanna dispute it..Lapo almost ruined him

Yup..Lapo neutered him...and when u don't get to practice things in practice a QB should be...then expect in games for him to switch over from the stupidity Lapo had drawn up..well u get misfires

Based on Saleh's comments about Streveler it doesn't look like much has changed. 

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Accuracy. He can't make the throws a lot of qbs can in the NFL. Throwing into quick & tight widows. I've never seen him do that. Either as a Bomber or in the NFL. He can hit a receiver if he's open but if he has to put it into a tight spot or dropping the ball into a receivers hands downfield in coverage. Never seen him do it. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Accuracy. He can't make the throws a lot of qbs can in the NFL. Throwing into quick & tight widows. I've never seen him do that. Either as a Bomber or in the NFL. He can hit a receiver if he's open but if he has to put it into a tight spot or dropping the ball into a receivers hands downfield in coverage. Never seen him do it. 

Yes you have. Ffwd the 2:20 mark..... 

Agree...Strev will never be a full-time starter in NFL and his window being a clip board jockey is closing too

In the CFL he can be tho...look at that Putz Fajardo ..weaker arm...minimal ability to make majority of throws you need to...can't throw a deep ball at all...not nearly as good a runner as Strev...clearly not a leader...more a whiner and excuse machine...mentally fragile...yet he was given the reigns to go 18 games and put up numbers to be in the MOP category ...albeit due to being only QB to play a full slate of games...

Give Strev that chance...especially behind an offensive unit say as the Bombers and he blows those Faj Stats out the water...and easily wins u double digits..