Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

3 moments I remember:

1. Game in BC, Lions tie it late but the scoreboard gets it wrong and has them trailing by one. Bombers stall on 3rd and 1 on the next drive and kick away rather than gamble, Lions get the ball back and then the  scoreboard corrects, they match to midfield and Passaglia launches a huge punt with 30 seconds left for a single and we lose. I am furious with the loss but the camera cuts to Riley smiling in his “aw shucks” way as the clock hits zero, he is interviewed right away about the  tough loss on a punt single and the scoreboard screw-up, and he says what a great game both teams played and how this is what makes the CFL special and how lucky he is to get to coach and experience games like this, hopes the fans appreciated the spectacle, credits the Lions, is proud of his team, no excuses and how wonderful is it to be a coach in this league. Anger just washed away from me in that moment, and I felt better about the world. That was his gift. 

2. He announces he is leaving for the NFL in 1988 after winning the Cup, but a few months later word leaks that he is having second thoughts about the move, but worries that fans will disrespect his flop-flop. I ask my dad if he thinks it is a sign of weakness to back out of a deal and he says to him it is a sign of strength to admit your mistakes and man up, and not to be afraid to question yourself. We write him a letter to tell him to follow his heart and to be ashamed of nothing, his happiness is more important than any offended fans, and he has made Winnipeg proud with his coaching. Our letter was one of hundreds that got written (the Freep encouraged the letter writing campaign as a show of support). Riley came back and was very emotional describing how much it meant to him that the fans reached out and offered their thoughts and kind words, and it helped him make his decision. Talked about how special Winnipeg was and how it felt like home, and that made him re-think his move. Grace, humility, and genuine thanks to others on that moment. 

3. Grey Cup win in Vancouver. In a world where coaches now all get the Gatorade bath after a win as a “salute” (it actually started with Bill Parcells as a mock celebration by his players who respected him but did not always care for his hard-ass style, and dumped Gatorade on him as revenge, figuring he’d be too happy with a win to get mad), his team instead hoisted him on their shoulders and carried him across the field in victory. Last time I ever saw a coach get that show of respect in pro football. 

51 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

3 moments I remember:

3. Grey Cup win in Vancouver. In a world where coaches now all get the Gatorade bath after a win as a “salute” (it actually started with Bill Parcells as a mock celebration by his players who respected him but did not always care for his hard-ass style, and dumped Gatorade on him as revenge, figuring he’d be too happy with a win to get mad), his team instead hoisted him on their shoulders and carried him across the field in victory. Last time I ever saw a coach get that show of respect in pro football. 

Thanks for that.  I would like to see the players try and hoist O'Shea up, he'd probably lay a beat down on all of them lol...mostly just because he wouldn't want the moment to be about him...

On 2023-05-01 at 10:25 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

3 moments I remember:

1. Game in BC, Lions tie it late but the scoreboard gets it wrong and has them trailing by one. Bombers stall on 3rd and 1 on the next drive and kick away rather than gamble, Lions get the ball back and then the  scoreboard corrects, they match to midfield and Passaglia launches a huge punt with 30 seconds left for a single and we lose. I am furious with the loss but the camera cuts to Riley smiling in his “aw shucks” way as the clock hits zero, he is interviewed right away about the  tough loss on a punt single and the scoreboard screw-up, and he says what a great game both teams played and how this is what makes the CFL special and how lucky he is to get to coach and experience games like this, hopes the fans appreciated the spectacle, credits the Lions, is proud of his team, no excuses and how wonderful is it to be a coach in this league. Anger just washed away from me in that moment, and I felt better about the world. That was his gift. 

2. He announces he is leaving for the NFL in 1988 after winning the Cup, but a few months later word leaks that he is having second thoughts about the move, but worries that fans will disrespect his flop-flop. I ask my dad if he thinks it is a sign of weakness to back out of a deal and he says to him it is a sign of strength to admit your mistakes and man up, and not to be afraid to question yourself. We write him a letter to tell him to follow his heart and to be ashamed of nothing, his happiness is more important than any offended fans, and he has made Winnipeg proud with his coaching. Our letter was one of hundreds that got written (the Freep encouraged the letter writing campaign as a show of support). Riley came back and was very emotional describing how much it meant to him that the fans reached out and offered their thoughts and kind words, and it helped him make his decision. Talked about how special Winnipeg was and how it felt like home, and that made him re-think his move. Grace, humility, and genuine thanks to others on that moment. 

Probably doesn't hurt any coaches chances of getting carried if they weigh a buck fifty soaking wet...lmao.

25 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

For men, I think that there definitely is an expectation to make a decision and stick to it.  Men look weak when they flip flop on decisions. It creates distress for others because they never know what to trust. 

That's such an old way of thinking that needs to change. I think it's more powerful to recognize a mistake and adjust accordingly. Many of the world's problems result from people backed into a corner and unable to reverse course on a decision.