Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

I watched the NY Jets just to have a look at Streve.....Might as well not have bothered....I caught  glimpse of him on the sidelines and that was it....I turned it off midway through the 4th qt. as I couldn't stand the putrid performance of their starter White ....   How they could start that Faj lookalike over Streve I'll never know...The guy pure and simple stunk the joint out...We have better backups than White up here....NFL politics at it's finest.....It looks like Chris will always be an after thought down there and if he really wants to be a starter the CFL is the place for him....

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I watched the NY Jets just to have a look at Streve.....Might as well not have bothered....I caught  glimpse of him on the sidelines and that was it....I turned it off midway through the 4th qt. as I couldn't stand the putrid performance of their starter White ....   How they could start that Faj lookalike over Streve I'll never know...The guy pure and simple stunk the joint out...We have better backups than White up here....NFL politics at it's finest.....It looks like Chris will always be an after thought down there and if he really wants to be a starter the CFL is the place for him....

Personal biases are just as prevalent in the NFL as elsewhere. Its not necessarily the best players who start, but the ones the coaches like best or are emotionally invested in.

6 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I did too.  I was like "Kongbo - I know that name" lol...

I don't know how much Kongbo played. He'd sure look good back in Bomber colours.

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

Streveler can't throw. That's his big downfall. Has all the physical tools to be a great leader but he just can't make all the throws. Hence, he became a gimmicky qb. He can only find success with a limited playbook & plays designed to take advantage of his physical abilities. He'll never be a backup pushing the starter in the NFL or CFL. He got his NFL pension, though. Good for him.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know how much Kongbo played. He'd sure look good back in Bomber colours.

Streveler can't throw. That's his big downfall. Has all the physical tools to be a great leader but he just can't make all the throws. Hence, he became a gimmicky qb. He can only find success with a limited playbook & plays designed to take advantage of his physical abilities. He'll never be a backup pushing the starter in the NFL or CFL. He got his NFL pension, though. Good for him.

Poor man's Taysom Hill....but built perfectly for the CFL.  Come on back to Winnipeg Strevy!! 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

C'mon, man. What player have you watched the past 4 years? He has issues with accuracy & arm strength. 

Guy can make all the throws. Rookie year he looked like a real qb. He didn't turn into a gimmick until lapo got it into his head to turn him into one.  If he couldn't make the throws like you seem to think there is no way he would have kicked around the NFL as long as he has being a nobody. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Guy can make all the throws. Rookie year he looked like a real qb. He didn't turn into a gimmick until lapo got it into his head to turn him into one.  If he couldn't make the throws like you seem to think there is no way he would have kicked around the NFL as long as he has being a nobody. 

1wtdvy.jpg

On 2023-01-03 at 12:34 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

C'mon, man. What player have you watched the past 4 years? He has issues with accuracy & arm strength. 

No he doesn’t. You’re letting hateorade blind your judgement. His arm strength is good. His accuracy on short to intermediate routes is solid and he’s shown flashes of strong touch. He hasn’t had any support to excel since he’s gone pro. 
 Despite that his lowest completion percentage as a pro is 61%. You don’t excel like he did passing in college make it to the cfl then stick in the nfl this long with out an arm. 

if he was given half the chance and support fajardo has been given he’d be the second best qb in the cfl. 
picture perfect over the shoulder shots into the end zone  threading the needle and a bunch of perfect passes under pressure hitting guys in stride leading them down field  

Edited by wbbfan

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

No he doesn’t. You’re letting hateorade blind your judgement. His arm strength is good. His accuracy on short to intermediate routes is solid and he’s shown flashes of strong touch. He hasn’t had any support to excel since he’s gone pro. 
 Despite that his lowest completion percentage as a pro is 61%. You don’t excel like he did passing in college make it to the cfl then stick in the nfl this long with out an arm. 

if he was given half the chance and support fajardo has been given he’d be the second best qb in the cfl. 
picture perfect over the shoulder shots into the end zone  threading the needle and a bunch of perfect passes under pressure hitting guys in stride leading them down field  

Calling Chris Streveler the second best CFL qb (if he played up here today) is a huge stretch. I know what he can & can't do as like all of you I've watched him for the past 5 seasons. His throwing isn't what kept him in the NFL & before that the CFL but his guile, athleticism & leadership abilities have. To say I have a hate on for the guy because I believe he has deficiencies throwing the ball is both ludicrous & unfair. 

He has always had quirky footwork which affects the rest of his throwing mechanics on his platform. He had a hard time feeling pressure in the pocket when he played for the Bombers so LaPo took away that problem. Used his running ability to work wonders making plays. One would hope his pocket awareness has improved with his time in the NFL but it's hard to tell with his lack of playing time down there.

A good NFL qb today has to develop different arm slots. To be able to position his arm in different slots to throw over & around oncoming defenders in his face. I haven't seen that from him. He does have a high arm slot so he would be at a disadvantage over other NFL qbs in certain situations.

Streveler can throw with authority when he has to & can hit a receiver within his catch radius but I haven't seen him make the accurate "small window only open for a few seconds" throws during his time in the NFL or with the Jets. It's hard to tell how much he's improved since 2019 as his playing time has been so limited. 

You mentioned his 61% completion average & I believe you. I think it's so because he has a set number of packaged plays that he can use in a game that suits his style of play. Historcally, that seems to be his story as a Bomber, Cardinal & Jet. However, if he had to use the entire playbook where would he be? He might be in trouble. He can't play the way Zach Collaros does for example. 

When Jets HC Robert Saleh said he put him in to provide a spark that's exactly what he was  talking about. He wanted a change up. Like a relief pitcher in baseball, Streveler can be effective in that kind of a role. If he was destined to be a starter he'd be on a team somewhere now pushing the Number 1 qb  for playing time but that isn't the case. Hell, if Saleh thought he could be a legit NFL starter don't you think he'd have elevated him already??

Saleh wants to win to keep his job. He sees Streveler throw everyday & it's obvious he doesn't believe he's a starter. Streveler is continually fighting just to be a number two guy on the qb depth chart & usually Number 3 on every NFL team he's been on. Sometimes even #4. And to be clear, just because I think Streveler has deficiencies throwing the ball doesn't mean I don't like him. I do as he's exciting to watch. Strev got his pension & good for him. That's awesome. However, the reality of the situation is that if he was a legit NFL starter or a serious #2 he'd have been one by now. He isn't. 

I admire what Streveler's done & hope that his career in the NFL continues. I just don't think he'll ever be a starter. But poor guy making $2 mill a year backing up some NFL hotshot.... What a life as he's still won the lottery, so to speak. Once again, he worked hard to get to the NFL  & stay. I hope it continues. Not every pro qb can be a starter. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Chris Streveler is not nearly as bad as SpeedFlex makes him out to be, and not nearly as good as Wbbfan is suggesting imo. I think Strev is a guy with average arm strength, that lacks some touch and accuracy. I think Strev could be a solid but not spectacular number one QB in the CFL but is highly unlikely to ever break any passing records. That's his top end. His low end would be as a really good number two QB, and package QB that any CFL team would consider an upgrade. 

Strev needs to work on his passing to ever be elite in the CFL. Speedflex is right on that. He could be effective as is though and WBBfan is right about that. His passing needs work but he could get by with it given all the tools he has.

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

There is a long list of QBs who could make all throws, but they were never starters in the NFL. 

For sure. Strev isn't an elite passer, I think that if you look around the CFL starting QBs few can be called that. I think he could be an upgrade to a number of teams.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

If Fajardo can be a starting qb with his terrible mechanics and the inability to throw a ball more then 25 yards... I'm pretty sure Strev who has shown far better in both of those aspects can start in the CFL with no issues.  

Don't say that...yikes...IF Streve becomes available up here that dumpster fire next door will back up a truck full of dough to sign him....I'd have a very hard time accepting the fact he'd be in their ranks....OUCH...Now I.m going to wash those thoughts out of my mind with javex

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Don't say that...yikes...IF Streve becomes available up here that dumpster fire next door will back up a truck full of dough to sign him....I'd have a very hard time accepting the fact he'd be in their ranks....OUCH...Now I.m going to wash those thoughts out of my mind with javex

Sadly enough- Strev would be a good fit for the riders this year. I think they are going to lean on the run game to offset the O-line issues and lack of an elite passer.

1 minute ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Sadly enough- Strev would be a good fit for the riders this year. I think they are going to lean on the run game to offset the O-line issues and lack of an elite passer.

I don't think they have any choice really unless they throw gobs of money at an OL, and BLM and have an all rookie defence.