Friday Bombers vs Chris Jones

BigBlue

Does demanding your team win and every player be super human, does that win you any games? Based on his actions Chris Jones might say "Absolutely!" The departed Nick Arbuckle is a perfect illustration:

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/12/how-it-went-wrong-between-the-edmonton-elks-chris-jones-and-nick-arbuckle/

"Chris Jones never wanted Arbuckle in Edmonton....After an 0-3 start, Jones swiftly pulled the plug. ...So, here we are. Arbuckle is out, and the Elks have close to zero experience at the most important position in football....Arbuckle’s biggest challenge in Edmonton may have been his fear of making mistakes. In last Friday’s recap, I suggested that the risk of being pulled on any particular play was inhibiting his development. “Constant competition” is often considered a positive thing, but it has to be awfully tough on players knowing that any mistake can lose them a job..."

"Arbuckle is a smart quarterback. The Elks staff have said it — even Ford has said it — with plenty of anecdotes about how Arbuckle could answer any question he had. He’s also very accurate. Not perfect, obviously, but capable of consistently putting balls into the right spots for his receivers. He also showed impressive leadership and compassion when consoling a distraught Dane Evans after the game in Hamilton...."

"I was recently reminded of Saskatchewan’s 2017 season in which Chris Jones unabashedly swapped Kevin Glenn and Brandon Bridge on the fly. He went from Glenn to Bridge to Glenn and back to Bridge in a matter of plays that included two interceptions. It’s hard to imagine anyone getting into a rhythm with that schedule."

So this Friday night who is going have the psychological advantage, Jones or O'Shea? Is MOS preparing any traps?

20 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Jones need at least a year to build that team

Maybe I'm in the minority but I fully expect him to turn the Elks around 

I mean, you have absolutely nothing to base that on, but that's fine.... That team is a huge ******* mess. 

14 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Does demanding your team win and every player be super human, does that win you any games? Based on his actions Chris Jones might say "Absolutely!" The departed Nick Arbuckle is a perfect illustration:

https://3downnation.com/2022/07/12/how-it-went-wrong-between-the-edmonton-elks-chris-jones-and-nick-arbuckle/

"Chris Jones never wanted Arbuckle in Edmonton....After an 0-3 start, Jones swiftly pulled the plug. ...So, here we are. Arbuckle is out, and the Elks have close to zero experience at the most important position in football....Arbuckle’s biggest challenge in Edmonton may have been his fear of making mistakes. In last Friday’s recap, I suggested that the risk of being pulled on any particular play was inhibiting his development. “Constant competition” is often considered a positive thing, but it has to be awfully tough on players knowing that any mistake can lose them a job..."

"Arbuckle is a smart quarterback. The Elks staff have said it — even Ford has said it — with plenty of anecdotes about how Arbuckle could answer any question he had. He’s also very accurate. Not perfect, obviously, but capable of consistently putting balls into the right spots for his receivers. He also showed impressive leadership and compassion when consoling a distraught Dane Evans after the game in Hamilton...."

"I was recently reminded of Saskatchewan’s 2017 season in which Chris Jones unabashedly swapped Kevin Glenn and Brandon Bridge on the fly. He went from Glenn to Bridge to Glenn and back to Bridge in a matter of plays that included two interceptions. It’s hard to imagine anyone getting into a rhythm with that schedule."

So this Friday night who is going have the psychological advantage, Jones or O'Shea? Is MOS preparing any traps?

The writer is probably quite correct about Arbuckle being a good QB for Lapo.

He always felt like a Lapo style QB - Dink and Dunk style offense.

Doesn't feel like a "playground improv" style QB - Give him a real solid system to follow and he'll do alright.

I actually think Cornelius has potential - He has a rocket for an arm - His lacklustre performance last year isn't something I'm terribly worried about... he was basically a complete rookie to professional football last year (5 games played in the XFL)

6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

The trouble with Cornelius has been his accuracy and reading of defenses, so we will see....

Accuracy is my only real concern - A guy in what is essentially his first year out of college is almost always going to struggle with recognition.  Especially since the Elks were such a shitshow in his first year... 

32 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Arm strength is a problem.  Maybe can throw a nice deep ball but everything I see is between the receivers knees and ankles.

Arm strength?  All the announcers could talk about for the first 3 or 4 games last season was the fact that his throws had unreal velocity / that he needed to learn touch

Nothing but respect for Kenny but I want the boys to make him look like he was only paid $30 to be a receiver. Like it was said, Cornelius has everything a prototypical qb should have minus his reading capabilities with defenses,get good pressure on him and he tends to fold real fast.

24 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Arm strength?  All the announcers could talk about for the first 3 or 4 games last season was the fact that his throws had unreal velocity / that he needed to learn touch

I believe they said he had “heavy balls”

Anymore word on Carter making an appearance? Interested in seeing if he is playing and what position. I hope he’s playing DB and has to go up against Agudosi. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Arm strength is a problem.  Maybe can throw a nice deep ball but everything I see is between the receivers knees and ankles.

I didn't see that,  his issue is that he throws the short stuff like Elway.   The balls have way too much oomph to them so they either blow through the fingers or they tend to bounce off the receiver high up in the air making it catchable for the defense.      He also sometimes tends to throw it way over the receiver.       Needs to learn how to throw with more finesse and less power. 

Just now, Brandon said:

I didn't see that,  his issue is that he throws the short stuff like Elway.   The balls have way too much oomph to them so they either blow through the fingers or they tend to bounce off the receiver high up in the air making it catchable for the defense.      He also sometimes tends to throw it way over the receiver.       Needs to learn how to throw with more finesse and less power. 

DT also mentioned the low passes on the post-game show this past Friday.  He wondered if Derel Walker regrets staying in Edmonton to take passes in the shins from Cornelius.

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

That 10-20 yard range where CFL QB's need to be great are all into the dirt.

Don't see a strong arm, yeah he can sail them too.

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah i think Cornelius will become a solid starting QB in our league. Has all the physical tools and can run for a big guy. Just needs more time.

Interesting that Cornelius was at Ok. State Univ. the same time as Dru Brown and beat him out for the starting job in 2018.  Easy to see Cornelius has the better toolset, and better size.  Brown has had to rely on his brain and game management skills to make it to the pro level.

Edited by Fatty Liver

After years of watching big "prototypical" QBs come through and flame out bad, consider me extremely skeptical. When Corny proves he can think the game properly, then I'll buy in. He was the one that Elizondo loved from XFL or wherever, right? He didn't do anything for me last year...

2 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Anymore word on Carter making an appearance? Interested in seeing if he is playing and what position. I hope he’s playing DB and has to go up against Agudosi. 

This would actually be the worst case scenario... high pointing the ball is probably about the only thing Carter would be decent at... I'd love to see him get matched up again Ellingson and get deked out of his jock strap on every route