Back 2 Back CHAMPS at Arblows Early Chat

Nolby

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Against Edmonton too it was a case of the Lks not being able to stop the run at all. That helps a qb big time.

Yeah I like to look at things from a quarterback like time of release, how they can move around the pocket to buy time, can they throw the ball away without forcing it or taking a sack, placement of ball, Speed and velocity of the ball coming out. I remember when no one has film on CF as well and he was putting up numbers similar to Rourke, but I saw a lot of poorly placed balls, an average arm and average release, admittedly for a Canadian QB he has solid mechanics, and can move around the pocket pretty well but once teams get some film on him I would bet the house he’s closer to an average starter then he is the next super star. 

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Yeah I like to look at things from a quarterback like time of release, how they can move around the pocket to buy time, can they throw the ball away without forcing it or taking a sack, placement of ball, Speed and velocity of the ball coming out. I remember when no one has film on CF as well and he was putting up numbers similar to Rourke, but I saw a lot of poorly placed balls, an average arm and average release, admittedly for a Canadian QB he has solid mechanics, and can move around the pocket pretty well but once teams get some film on him I would bet the house he’s closer to an average starter then he is the next super star. 

I think he looks great. Similar skills to Dane Evans. But as we know, Dane can be stopped.

Hell, has Rourke even taken a hit yet? 

BC's looked crazy good so far. #1 offence and #1 defence.

Rourke's numbers are off the charts. Teams have film on Rourke from last year, but he looks like a different QB this year. If he keeps this up, he's in Flutie territory.

BC destroyed Edmonton who looked way better against both Calgary and Regina. BC also destroyed Toronto who barely beat Montreal.

I'm looking forward to our game against them in a couple of weeks. It'll really show who is the best in the west.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

In CF's best season (only season where he has success) - he threw 18 TDs. Rourke currently has 7.....in two games.

Show me when CF put up similar numbers to Rourke.

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Rourke's numbers are off the charts. Teams have film on Rourke from last year, but he looks like a different QB this year. If he keeps this up, he's in Flutie territory.

BC destroyed Edmonton who looked way better against both Calgary and Regina. BC also destroyed Toronto who barely beat Montreal.

I'm looking forward to our game against them in a couple of weeks. It'll really show who is the best in the west.

Small sample size that is very difficult to extrapolate from. BC looks great but I refuse to believe they are going from a bottom 2 team in the league to far and away better than everyone until I see them fight through some adversity.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

In CF's best season (only season where he has success) - he threw 18 TDs. Rourke currently has 7.....in two games.

First two starts of 2019 were similar in production. Only 4 TDs but the yardage was there and no picks. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

First two starts of 2019 were similar in production. Only 4 TDs but the yardage was there and no picks. 

I will give you that he racked up yards in weeks 2 and 3.

But he also threw for 66 yards in week one and 89 yards in week four.

The Riders went 1-3 to start that year.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I will give you that he racked up yards in weeks 2 and 3.

But he also threw for 66 yards in week one and 89 yards in week four.

The Riders went 1-3 to start that year.

He came in for Collaros. 

And, Rourke's only played two games. 

if you are good....you should beat the craptacular teams...so far he did that.....if you are great....you can do the same to any team...we shall see.....impressive as it was, I not sold on him keeping this going...those 2 teams he played were the perfect scenario...EDM in first game....still trying to find who fits where and a horrid offensive plan....with piss poor in game coaching, then a T.O team where I don't know what to call that.....embarrassing comes to mind in terms of play, and individual efforts....also again craptacular in game coaching...we havnt been world beaters....yet but have gotten closer in each game....so if they take us out...even in a short week it will reveal more....I actually think we go in there and befuddle them...same with Ottawa....they gave us legit tough time because I like what they have going on there....and was a good first 2 games as we may have been riding complacency if we walked into a first 2 games of Esks and T.O type opposition

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yeah...Rourke has had 2 good matchups....a Elks team that was totally in disarray and T.O that looked and played like crap....have never seen so many recievers with no defenders near them...will be interesting to see what an actual defense and a team with their crap together will do...Ottawa will be a better barometer....way too early to anoint him a superstar...especially when there is actual game film on him now and his tendencies are noted, that and his weaknesses and strong points...

I didn't watch the game but I really noticed this in the replays... there didn't seem to be a db anywhere near the receivers on any of his TD passes.

21 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

I don’t think the Bombers look past TO… plenty of recent history showing they still to show up and play to FIFO standards to win.

Whether or or not BC looks past Ottawa will be very interesting.

The Bombers goal is to go 1-0 every week... the players probably don't even know who they play in week 5... 

Edited by bearpants

I do not want to minimize what Rourke has accomplished so far but he has still to win a hotly contested game. What has impressed me about him most is that, in an interview he said that he runs wind sprints with his teammates when they do so as to not be huffing and puffing halfway through the game. from being out of shape. That also has to send a strong, positive message to his team that he is not just a pretty face, but pushes himself to be the best he can be. Good stuff.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I do not want to minimize what Rourke has accomplished so far but he has still to win a hotly contested game. What has impressed me about him most is that, in an interview he said that he runs wind sprints with his teammates when they do so as to not be huffing and puffing halfway through the game. from being out of shape. That also has to send a strong, positive message to his team that he is not just a pretty face, but pushes himself to be the best he can be. Good stuff.

yeah the commentators were talking about Rourke's work ethic during the game against the Arblows.  Last year he apparently slept in the film room over night so he could get an early start the next day.  Just crazy devotion to the game.  Makes we wish we had this guy in the bullpen to take over from Zack in a few years, but such is life.  Great drafting by the Lions on this one.

43 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He put up 800 passing yards, and 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions in his first two starts, I didn’t say identical but certainly similar no? My whole point was TSN was ready to announce him as the next great quarterback but once more film came out, teams were able to adjust to his play and scheme and he came back down to earth, in which I believe Rourke will too. He’s an exciting young prospect sure but I didn’t love how off the mark he was making throws down the field while having zero pressure put his way and not a single defender in sight. To me that’s a little bit of a red flag, sure he made the reads and ultimately the throw, but Defensive Coordinators will see tape and he will have to make some adjustments, especially against a good defense. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I think what Rourke is doing is awesome for him, for that team and for the CFL in general but I absolutely LOVE that you posted this because if it was a Bomber doing it, you’d undoubtedly be the only guy here going “whoa whoa whoa wait a minute guys 36% of his completions have come against below average defensive backs and I checked the weather reports for both games and it looks like the D had to play with the sun in their eyes and the other teams haven’t proven that they’re any good against teams that I personally have deemed to be considered proper competition so you’re all idiots for getting on the bandwagon so early, let’s just wait until he’s done it for 64 games in a row without fail and maybe then I’ll buy in”

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think what Rourke is doing is awesome for him, for that team and for the CFL in general but I absolutely LOVE that you posted this because if it was a Bomber doing it, you’d undoubtedly be the only guy here going “whoa whoa whoa wait a minute guys 36% of his completions have come against below average defensive backs and I checked the weather reports for both games and it looks like the D had to play with the sun in their eyes and the other teams haven’t proven that they’re any good against teams that I personally have deemed to be considered proper competition so you’re all idiots for getting on the bandwagon so early, let’s just wait until he’s done it for 64 games in a row without fail and maybe then I’ll buy in”

Exactly we’re two time champs, and first in the west at 3-0, playing BC doesn’t prove who the better team is, they need to prove they can hang with us, not the other way around. 

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Fair enough Mike, but in a thread that has seen him compared to Doug Flutie, it's pretty safe to say that those trying to reign things in are correct too. The kid is going to have a long career. His arm is too good, and he see the field too well, providing of course that he stays healthy. However, he's going to come down to Earth too. It's his rookie season. He's not going to throw for 400 yards a game, and 4 TDs,  every week. He'll struggle at times. No rookie wouldn't. It is exciting to see him get off to a red hot start and show he has all the makings of a good CFL QB but let's be honest his chances of keeping it up over the course of a season are slim.  Defences will learn about him, and what gets him off his game, and he will have to learn his way through it. It's the same for any rookie QB. 

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Fair enough Mike, but in a thread that has seen him compared to Doug Flutie, it's pretty safe to say that those trying to reign things in are correct too. The kid is going to have a long career. His arm is too good, and he see the field too well, providing of course that he stays healthy. However, he's going to come down to Earth too. It's his rookie season. He's not going to throw for 400 yards a game, and 4 TDs,  every week. He'll struggle at times. No rookie wouldn't. It is exciting to see him get off to a red hot start and show he has all the makings of a good CFL QB but let's be honest his chances of keeping it up over the course of a season are slim.  Defences will learn about him, and what gets him off his game, and he will have to learn his way through it. It's the same for any rookie QB. 

Lol I’m the one agreeing with everything you’re saying