2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

On 2022-03-29 at 1:14 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

This is a great point.

I think it's a reasonable requirement that any proposed changes come with rationale other than saying 'to improve the game'.

I think based on the empty seats in every city when there's a CFL game, Lalji's response might be, "Why not??" People aren't coming out to watch anyway. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If true, weak lazy thinking not good enough, put some effort into it if you really want to strengthen the CFL.

I agree but the problem with the CFL is the people that have caused all the problems are the ones put in charge to fix it. Which they can't do. Someone like Victor Cui should be running this league & Randy Ambrosie should be a team president, at best. The wrong people are in place. 

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/06/bombers-have-talked-at-length-to-a-lot-of-kickers-to-provide-competition-for-marc-liegghio-ali-mourtada/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are going to have an open kicking competition during training camp after the departure of Sergio Castillo.

The Bombers bench boss would not name a front-runner for the opening day job because he doesn’t think that would be fair to any player. Walters added the team has been exploring options and he’s talked at length to “a lot of kickers.”

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't know anything about American players, but based on the stuff the Bombers are tweeting out, this is apparently a big deal......??

Apparently in college he was a 3rd down conversion machine and the go-to for his QB in the clutch. Not at all a speedster from the look of it. Still chasing the NFL, I imagine he's here to 'get some film' like every other NFL hopeful trying to use the CFL as a stepping stone.

Looks to me like any other UDFA good enough to have a cup of coffee with a couple teams til he eventually shook loose. That could describe Rasheed Bailey once and he's working out great. Only time will tell.

Edited by MOBomberFan
word

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't know anything about American players, but based on the stuff the Bombers are tweeting out, this is apparently a big deal......??

Not overly fast, but seems to run good routes, good hands and fights for the ball. Seems more like a possession receiver.

8 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Apparently in college he was a 3rd down conversion machine and the go-to for his QB in the clutch. Not at all a speedster from the look of it. Still chasing the NFL, I imagine he's here to 'get some film' like every other NFL hopeful trying to use the CFL as a stepping stone.

Looks to me like any other UDFA good enough to have a cup of coffee with a couple teams til he eventually shook loose. That could describe Rasheed Bailey once and he's working out great. Only time will tell.

He ran a 4.4 40yd on his pro day. Thats pretty fast. Whitehead ran a 4.3 for comparison. 

Just now, Goldkobra said:

He ran a 4.4 40yd on his pro day. Thats pretty fast. Whitehead ran a 4.3 for comparison. 

That is very fast, I had no idea. Most I read was along the lines of 'faster than he seems' which is usually feint praise for plodders. I'll take all the speed I can get in a 6'1 receiver

2 hours ago, Goldkobra said:

He ran a 4.47-4-53 on his pro day. Pro days are notoriously 'faster' than combine times. 

Not disparaging him but he's no Lucky. 

12 hours ago, JCon said:

He ran a 4.47-4-53 on his pro day. Pro days are notoriously 'faster' than combine times. 

Not disparaging him but he's no Lucky. 

Pro day times are very unreliable indeed. Aside from obvious bias issues, they are virtually all manual timed. 

The loose rule of thumb when converting manual times to electric is you add .175 to the manual time. So his 4.47 fast manual time turns into a 4.65 electric time. Which is right where he was predicted to fall before his proday, 4.6 to 4.7. The faster manual time came as a pretty good surprise from every thing I can see. 

His pro day was generally considered to be more athletic than was expected, but he seems like he's never had the track refining. The difference between guys in pro days and combines who have trained for track and field or in a program like chris carter's FAST, and those who haven't is pretty big. 

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You might be familiar with his older and much more famous brother Danke.

Looks like a Lawler style receiver. Hopefully he is as good.

Thats hitting the nail on the head with the hammer. He is very much a lawler esq wr. Big, more than enough athleticism, extremely polished with great hands.

He kicked around the NFL for a good bit, and it wasn't based on size or athleticism. Though they are both good, especially for the CFL. If he had played for a decent passing offense in college he probably would've been a mid to late NFL pick.