2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

I kind of was implying that Zach would bring the team to the goal line and they would score and this wouldnt' be reflected in his own TD stats.    I'm guessing it would be ideal to have a stat for QB's that showed how many TD drives they had.  

That is true too. Though I don't feel like that's normal. Most offenses are better and red zone td passes. But for years our red zone is get deep enough to push it in behind that great ol. 

22 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember hearing that Cal was charging players during practice $.25 a cup for Gatorade. And kept track of how many cups each player had each practice.  How did we win 3 cups with that kind of management lol? Different era I guess.

Yeah, I remember GM's like Earl Lunsford being well known as cheapskates & treating players like ****. Trouble was, most teams were the same. Hard headed management style who didn't want to pay the players. Even per diems in training camp was incredulously low. The CFL players struck in 1974 as players weren't being paid during training camp & exhibition season. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/TJ-Simmons-WR-WestVirginia

Sounds like exactly our prototypical wr. 4.59 at the combine, 4.55 pro day, fast time of 4.46. 10' broad jump, 32" vert, 13 reps. Not an insane athlete, but a tremendously polished well balanced athlete.  Transferred from the crimson tide to WVU which is still a good school.  4 star player out of high school top 5 in alabama, cut his teeth in college playing teams which is always great to see in an imp wr.  He was suspended once for violating covid rules with a bunch of team mates. 

Tyrique Mcghee was a guy the rams really liked, but was suspended twice in a short period of time. Once for PEDs once for stimulants.  He was a 3 star prospect who immediately became a starting DB. 

Edited by wbbfan

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Definitely don't like the personal history of that DB but love the potential of that receiver.... 

So is he Darvin's replacement.....orrrrrrrr could he be another Kenny....???? sure has the nice soft hands....The db has some baggage but as long as he's checked it at the door ....might be worth a good look

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Definitely don't like the personal history of that DB but love the potential of that receiver.... 

Yeah Its a little surprising, but he is very young (iirc just turned 25 and wouldve started this year in the nfl if not suspended). Maybe they feel he just needs a second chance? I believe we had him on the neg list since college I'm sure they have his character well scouted. 

14 minutes ago, Stickem said:

So is he Darvin's replacement.....orrrrrrrr could he be another Kenny....???? sure has the nice soft hands....The db has some baggage but as long as he's checked it at the door ....might be worth a good look

He's very much lawler esq physically. He does show a lot of YAC ability though, and is a down field guy. A lot of over the middle catches with out breaking stride. With that and the blocking, he's got some similarities to darvin adams too. Doesn't have the top speed of adams but has tremendous balance and body control. With the ball in his hands he looks like a KR or a rb, soo much that he got some jet sweet stuff in college.  Could be a boundary wr, or a SB. With his route running and willingness to play over the middle if he can master the waggle he'd be dynamite in the slot. 

Generally it takes a year or two for rookie wrs to find their stride but he has as good a chance as any imp wr.  Simmons, Jackson, and Mcknight should have a great battle in camp. 

On 2022-02-18 at 7:31 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Cal was miserly, but remember that the Montreal franchise (the Concorde) folded, Ottawa was hemorrhaging money, the Roughriders were on the verge of bankruptcy and holding telethons, and the CFL was close to closing up shop at the end of 1987 and needed its own TV network because no broadcaster was willing to pick up the games. And the league pilfered the Bomber coffers to keep the other teams alive. Murphy was cheap as much out of necessity as by choice given the debt load the team carried. Which is why he lobbied hard for the Grey Cup to come to Winnipeg and offered to buy the game from the league for a guaranteed sum and keep the profits for itself, which ended up wiping out the $1 million plus debt the club had accumulated. (The league quickly got wise and forced all teams to “buy” the game but raised their purchase fee so that they still made more money than the host most every time). Ironically, for all his penny-pinching, in his last year in 1996 it was revealed shortly after his firing that the Bombers had exceeded the salary cap and were fined. 

I seem to recall Cal broke the bank paying Dunnigan $500,000 to come to Wpg. in 1992, which put the team heavily in debt.  This was in the days of Rocket Ismail's $18 million Argo contract with Bruce McNall and a few years before the US expansion.  The CFL was floundering in a sea of red ink at the time and on the verge of folding, eventually they agreed to a salary cap which stabilized the league's existence. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I seem to recall Cal broke the bank paying Dunnigan $500,000 to come to Wpg. in 1992, which put the team heavily in debt.  This was in the days of Rocket Ismail's $18 million Argo contract with Bruce McNall and a few years before the US expansion.  The CFL was floundering in a sea of red ink at the time and on the verge of folding, eventually they agreed to a salary cap which stabilized the league's existence. 

Even 30 years later, Rockets contract is still mind boggling.

All players had to sign a contract with the USFL in order to be eligible for their draft. The contract is a one-year deal but includes a team option for 2023, which means Dobson is now tied to the USFL for two seasons unless he is released.

Edited by JCon

30 minutes ago, JCon said:
All players had to sign a contract with the USFL in order to be eligible for their draft. The contract is a one-year deal but includes a team option for 2023, which means Dobson is now tied to the USFL for two seasons unless he is released.

Wouldn't be the first guy to be unsure of what he was signing but it is strange. He was pretty happy to be drafted soo high by the Bombers.  He'd easily get twice up here what he'd get down south. 

More impact full is them drafting cfl players. Even low interest guys make a critical contract precedent. Idk the guys picked but or if they were just free agents or what. But I smell a contract rights court battle. 

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Wouldn't be the first guy to be unsure of what he was signing but it is strange. He was pretty happy to be drafted soo high by the Bombers.  He'd easily get twice up here what he'd get down south. 

More impact full is them drafting cfl players. Even low interest guys make a critical contract precedent. Idk the guys picked but or if they were just free agents or what. But I smell a contract rights court battle. 

Think its more that difference in season timing and length. He can get some game tape in USFL and then be available for NFL camps if a team wants to sign. With Bombers earliest he could sign in NFL would be 2023.