2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

58 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Speaking of the North End and the trees...I get the same feeling when I drive down Matheson Ave. and remember those big Elms when they were just twigs on the boulevard....What a canopy they make and the forefathers who wanted a sun screen sure have one now....Wpg. has matured in mostly a good way

My grandfather planted plenty of elm trees in his day. But now we have that bloody dutch elm disease

I spend plenty of time in the bush.  The wild elm trees get to a certain size and then start dying out, just like clock work

But at least we still have younger elm growing.

Now I see the same thing happening with ash. Big beautiful trees being destroyed by the ash beetle

But so far, poplar, oak and maple appear to be as resilient as a ever. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m a McGibney, and there aren’t very many of us. I’m wondering if it was my Dad’s uncle Doug, I believe he was one of the few that didn’t live in the North End at that point. 

It would make sense, as my whole family has that kind of passion for the Bombers. 

Carol McGibney was his grand daughter, I believe. She lived with them & went to Churchill High School but was at least 2-3 years behind me. I think his first name was Doug. He was nearly or was a senior when I was a teenager in the early 70's so I always called him Mister out of respect. He was a great guy. I'd like to talk to you more so please PM me. :)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

My grandfather planted plenty of elm trees in his day. But now we have that bloody dutch elm disease

I spend plenty of time in the bush.  The wild elm trees get to a certain size and then start dying out, just like clock work

But at least we still have younger elm growing.

Now I see the same thing happening with ash. Big beautiful trees being destroyed by the ash beetle

But so far, poplar, oak and maple appear to be as resilient as a ever. 

In Riverview we used to have this big oak tree at the end of the property close to the backlane. My Dad told me there were three or 4 young oak trees growing together before he sodded the back yard in 1950 after my parents bought our house brand new. He kept one & it grew up to be this beautiful tree just perfect in every way symetrically. My Dad sold our house in 1995. First thing the new owners did was cut that tree down. I was sad when I saw it had been removed as it was still growing & healthy. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In Riverview we used to have this big oak tree at the end of the property close to the backlane. My Dad told me there were three or 4 young oak trees growing together before he sodded the back yard in 1950 after my parents bought our house brand new. He kept one & it grew up to be this beautiful tree just perfect in every way symetrically. My Dad sold our house in 1995. First thing the new owners did was cut that tree down. I was sad when I saw it had been removed as it was still growing & healthy. 

That is beyond sad, and that kind of attitude is not an exception.