West winners predictions 

MOP- Collaros

MODP - BIghill

MOC - Bo Lokombo BC

MOL - Stanley Bryant

MOSP - Mike Miller

MOR - Jordan Williams BC

Agree for the most part.

Collaros should be a lock (best team by a mile, no one had ridiculous stats to stand out, so most important position on the best team, and was the best at his position, and McGuire’s struggles with the same offensive weapons might highlight Zach’s value even more with the voters). Expect him to beat out Stanback from the East. 

Bighill takes this easily. I suspect the writers were so wowed by the overall domination of the Bomber defence as a whole that they give Bighill the nod as a way to honour the whole team (frankly his biggest competition was his own teammmates In Jefferson, Jeffcoat, and Alexander). Lokombo might ordinarily pose a challenge, but again the overall Bomber dominance will aid Bighill’s case. 

I see Lokombo beating out Demski for MOC. Demski has been hugely important to the team offence and has good all-around numbers, but I think the writers will spread out the wealth and want to reward Lokombo for a strong defensive performance that would otherwise be overlooked by the Bomber D dominance. 

MOOL Bryant is really the best, but who knows what writers think? Ed Tait admitted that the writers don’t really know what they are looking for and ask the coaches. So Stan’s reputation is the best AND worst thing he has going for him. When in doubt, go for the familiar name (the good side), but if he has already won maybe they think “time for another hog to be recognized this time around” (the bad side). Wild card is that he lost to Van Zyel in 2019 for precisely that reason (had won twice so the voters wanted to give it to another candidate that time around) and then head-to-head in the Grey Cup the Bomber line dominance on both sides showed what a bad decision that selection was, so maybe voters will offer him a make-up award this time around. It’s all voodoo, so good luck if you can figure it out. 

MOR Alford has gotten some talk, which is usually how rookies get picked (kind of a “hey I’ve heard that name a few times, they must be good”) but Williams in BC and Shafer-Baker in Greenland also got some press, so likely a 3 way race. So do the Bombers all get swept up in the “this team was so much better we will award them all” kind of wave, like in 2001, or will the writers spread the wealth as they usually do? 

MOST - I would love to see Mike Miller get the West nom, and because he broke the all-time record for tackles I could almost see the writers finally giving him his due as a sort of lifetime achievement award, and again he could get caught up in the Blue wave of awards, but voters often prefer the simple sexy stats when analyzing these things, so if no dominant returner stands out (like Dedmon in the East, who should win it all in a walk) then kickers get in by default it feels like. 

By now it should be clear that I don’t have faith in the voters do too much analysis and just go off of easy stats viewing to make their picks in the most simplistic way possible. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I might be alone on this, but I am glad the scribes in Saskatchewan did not blackball AC Leonard. I thought it was an absolute travesty when the Bomber scribes did it to Andrew Harris in a MOP worthy season and I will stay consistent in my belief on this. That being said AC Leonard is not even in the same galaxy as Adam Bighill as a player, man, team mate, or leader and doesn't deserve even the slightest consideration for the West nomination.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I might be alone on this, but I am glad the scribes in Saskatchewan did not blackball AC Leonard. I thought it was an absolute travesty when the Bomber scribes did it to Andrew Harris in a MOP worthy season and I will stay consistent in my belief on this. That being said AC Leonard is not even in the same galaxy as Adam Bighill as a player, man, team mate, or leader and doesn't deserve even the slightest consideration for the West nomination.

Absolutely. And it was more ridiculous what they did to Harris by voting him to the West all-star team (unanimously, which was weird given the Winnipeg boycott, even their self-righteousness was not as consistent as their hypocrisy), and then bouncing him again for the league-wide team. What was the most insultIng was the CFLPA snubbing Harris for Stanback but voting in fellow PED failed test recipient Louis-Philippe Bourassa from Ottawa as long snapper on the team. 

Leonard has no chance to beat Bighill so this nom won’t amount to much, it it will be curious to see how the voters handle the all-star and CFLPA all-star team nods. If he gets through, then one has to ask again what kind of hypocrisy is at play, or just how big of an axe to grind did they have against Harris?

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

Which would make him the best in CFL history..... seems like a bold statement, but I'm super interested in the discussion. Walby himself says Big Stan is the best he's ever seen...

Thought I would pull up the MBB All-time team discussion on best offensive tackle rather than re-create it:

Notable that Bryant was voted in as #2 behind Walby back before the 2019 season by the fine folks at MBB. And here are his updated stats:

Stanley Bryant – 101 games in 6 seasons (2015-21), 3 time divisional and CFL all-star (2017-19, 2021 nom pending), 5 time team nominee Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman (2015, 17-19, 21), 3 time Western Division (2017-19) and 2 time CFL Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman (2017, 18, 2021 nom pending), Grey Cup champion. 

A second Grey Cup and especially a 3rd MOL win would greatly strengthen his case as best ever. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd say he is. The 4 Top Tackles are:      1. Stanley Bryant 2. Chris Walby 3. Bill Frank 4. Frank Rigney

The 4 Top Guards are:     1. Nick Bastaja 2. Brett MacNeill 3. David Black 4. Cornel Piper

The 4 Top Centers are:    1. John Bonk 2. Bob Swift 3. George Druxman 4. Dave Mudge 

I posted the MBB offensive tackle discussion in my last post, here are the discussions on the guard and centre positions:

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

They had no problem condeming Harris. They have no problem letting AC Leonard off the hook.

**** each and every one of them.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I roll my eyes at Jeff's ballot....I understand why Willie Jefferson is great, but by his standards, he had an average year. If you were going that route, I'd vote Jeffcoat over him all day. 

It is Bighill.

If the other DE is having arguably as good a year how can he be less impactful?

I love our ends, they are the top two in the league, but there is no MLB that is better than Biggie and he runs the D (along with BA) plus he has more responsibility play to play.

Don't get me wrong - I've been touting Bighill as our MODP for months now - but if you're going to take an end, it's Jeffcoat, who had a career year. But, again as I've been saying for months now, Bighill is the QB of the defense.....there's no question in my mind he's our MODP.