Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

if we can't discuss things from other teams in an around the league thread then why even have this thread in the first place?

Its for 'around the league discussions'... not Riderville bitchfest

Seriously, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves to let Ripper troll you like this for three pages - its embarassing

10 hours ago, Booch said:

Carter played DB...sure....but isn't a superstar at it...or even great...and if he plays more this year it will be exposed....and he isn't the best reciever either....what year has he cracked the top 5...let alone top 10...once maybe??

Last year was the only year he cracked the top 10 (by 8 yards) and played all 18 games.... 

8 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Davis looking like the second coming of Flutie. Guy couldnt hit the broadside of a barn here.

In the already lopsided game he got into. Was bullshit that they pulled the rug out from under him in the final game of the season. I understand moving on thinking you got a vet like Durant coming in to be backup, but that guy's a douchebag and if his douchebaggery had been known I'd have been fine having Davis back as the backup. 

6 hours ago, Booch said:

there is a lot of legal over the counter supplements you can take that has substances in it which is banned. When I played we had to look over the substances in things, and a lot of times the products with a "propitiatory blend" listed was reason enough to sometimes stay away as companies use that for different reasons...to hide actual dosage amounts of ingredients said in the product (mainly to snooker the consumer) and as well at times to not reveal some of the gray area stuff that is illegal...or not safe

Booch, when my son played at SFU his final season he developed what could have become a very serious health issue.  For obvious reasons, I'm not going to get into what it was as that is personal but it was serious. All I know is because of the NCAA's stupid list of banned substances, his doctor had to go through that list & pick a treatment based on what would be safe from suspension not what was best for his health. As a result, he never felt very well from a health perspective his entire senior year. He had a much better junior year as a player than as a senior. I'm sure not feeling well had a lot to do with it although to his credit he never used that as an excuse. He'd have applied for an exemption from that banned NCAA list for health reasons but the steps it would have taken weren't worth it as the NCAA could have ended up denying his request. Then if he had some of those banned substances in his system he may have been suspended if he was randomly tested which I think would have happened. So, he & his doctor along with the team physician came up with a treatment that wasn't ideal but it was the best that could be done under the circumstances using drugs that weren't banned. I felt that the NCAA put my son's long term health at risk with their holier than thou rules. The NCAA are run by bureaucratic morons putting players health at risk. As soon as he finished playing he went on the meds he should have been on in the first place & felt a lot better.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Booch, when my son played at SFU his final season he developed what could have become a very serious health issue.  For obvious reasons, I'm not going to get into what it was as that is personal but it was serious. All I know is because of the NCAA's stupid list of banned substances, his doctor had to go through that list & pick a treatment based on what would be safe from suspension not what was best for his health. As a result, he never felt very well from a health perspective his entire senior year. He had a much better junior year as a player than as a senior. I'm sure not feeling well had a lot to do with it although to his credit he never used that as an excuse. He'd have applied for an exemption from that banned NCAA list for health reasons but the steps it would have taken weren't worth it as the NCAA could have ended up denying his request. Then if he had some of those banned substances in his system he may have been suspended if he was randomly tested which I think would have happened. So, he & his doctor along with the team physician came up with a treatment that wasn't ideal but it was the best that could be done under the circumstances using drugs that weren't banned. I felt that the NCAA put my son's long term health at risk with their holier than thou rules. The NCAA are run by bureaucratic morons putting players health at risk. As soon as he finished playing he went on the meds he should have been on in the first place & felt a lot better.

Mr Flex

I know exactly what you mean as I can say been there done that in terms of what I seen/saw/experienced in the PAC 12

The NCAA is a corrupt i will say organization and ran as on old boys club. It's also about money and exploiting amateur athletes for school profit at any cost of you ask me. 

Also like u mentioned some of the banning of medication is ridiculous as the elements in some are so insignificant in amount it gives you no edge whatsoever but since on the list they are very rigid and dont compromise.

Also on the flip I seen and experienced first hand schools encouraging and assisting in the use of PED's for the betterment of the program but if you are caught left on your own to deal with it and effectively screwed...just a victim of the meat grinder that is college football and money

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

the ncaa is way over due for a mass overhaul or out right trashing. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Shiltz looks like the shitz.  No pocket presence at all.

if i was a QB in montreal during the reed era Id never stop running. Not till I hit the border atleast.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That game tonight was brutal. Montreal looks to be everything we thought they would be. BAD! How can Reed not bring in any qbs? These are guys who all failed last year. S[pends a ton of money on Muamba & literally pennies on his qbs. Go figure. 

Mack’s fingerprints all over this

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe I'm a ****, but you put your sons long term health at risk by not deciding his health mattered more than football and picking a treatment option that was better for football than for his health.

23 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

Maybe I'm a ****, but you put your sons long term health at risk by not deciding his health mattered more than football and picking a treatment option that was better for football than for his health.

I didn't put my son's health at risk. He is an adult. He makes his own decisions. He was also on a scholarship & playing football was the only way to get his degree to which he was a year away from receiving at the time. He wouldn't have been able to afford university along with the cost of the dorms & meals if he hadn't have played. His decision, not mine. Besides, if you've ever played a sport at a high level... walking away is not easy. Ask guys here who have played like Booch how hard that is. I could have got down on my hands & knees but he still would have played. He was 24 at the time. It was his decision to make. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Mr Flex

I know exactly what you mean as I can say been there done that in terms of what I seen/saw/experienced in the PAC 12

The NCAA is a corrupt i will say organization and ran as on old boys club. It's also about money and exploiting amateur athletes for school profit at any cost of you ask me. 

Also like u mentioned some of the banning of medication is ridiculous as the elements in some are so insignificant in amount it gives you no edge whatsoever but since on the list they are very rigid and dont compromise.

Also on the flip I seen and experienced first hand schools encouraging and assisting in the use of PED's for the betterment of the program but if you are caught left on your own to deal with it and effectively screwed...just a victim of the meat grinder that is college football and money

Please Booch, no need to be so formal... That's right there is no compromise. We found that out when my son lost a year of eligibility with SFU because he played TWO years for the Winnipeg Rifles. They said the Rifles were "semi pro" & therefore he had a competitive advantage over other qbs from the US if you can believe that!! Had he played only 1 season he would have kept that year of eligibility. He appealed thru the SFU Athletic Dept & their NCAA liason officer (or whatever she was called) but the appeal was turned down. That's why he wanted nothing to do with the NCAA on his medications. He didn't trust the NCAA.

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I didn't put my son's health at risk. He is an adult. He makes his own decisions. He was also on a scholarship & playing football was the only way to get his degree to which he was a year away from receiving at the time. He wouldn't have been able to afford university along with the cost of the dorms & meals if he hadn't have played. His decision, not mine. Besides, if you've ever played a sport at a high level... walking away is not easy. Ask guys here who have played like Booch how hard that is. I could have got down on my hands & knees but he still would have played. He was 24 at the time. It was his decision to make. 

Yup..very hard and I pay for it now...I need a knee replacement...was told that in my mid 30's that I needed it and had the wear and condition of a guy in his 50's.. and also have hip pain from favoring it all those years...lack of range of motion in a shoulder causing sleep issues now...random headaches and general aches and pains and from constant trauma over the years...remember my dad telling me that I'm gonna pay for it later in life...but not heading the warning..lol...its tough to let it go and move on..I still would get out there now if someone would let and if had a chance to do it over again..I would..bizarre as that sounds!

The NCAA doesnt truly care for its players.. trust me on that