Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

juicing for TC  2 years ago vs Juicing during the playoffs in this league this past year..... both are bad and dumb choices, but one of them is legit cheating.  I'll let you figure that out

What is the other then?  Please explain.  Cheating to make the team isn't cheating?  For the record, I am sure there are players on every team taking some kind of banned substance. It may be from time to time, it may be a lot.  But surely fans across the league aren't that naïve to think it doesn't happen.  I really don't care who is and who isn't. When they get caught, they pay right out of their own pockets.  They are grown men, they can face the consequences of their actions. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You honestly can't see a difference? Siminose certainly broke a rule while trying to make a roster/in preseason. Paid for it, and has started over. Thigpen, broke a rule while playing in the playoffs. They both broke rules and will pay for it. One did it while playing in the playoffs last year, the other did it the preseason in a different league, 2 years ago. Just take the green goggles off for a second and use your smrts.

Do you actually believe it was the one and only time he was using a banned substance?  He was just going to make the team, and then go clean?  You actually believe that.  I also highly doubt Thigpen was only taking it for the playoffs, he was likely taking it other times too.  He is now suspended and not getting paid. He is facing the consequences.  Out of all the players that played in the cfl playoffs last year, on all the teams, Marcus Thigpen of the Riders is the only player that had a banned substance in his system?  If you actually believe that, well I guess there is no point discussing this any further

12 minutes ago, Ripper said:

NFL didn't share your feelings on the matter, 4 game suspension.  Personally it doesn't bother me either way.  I am entertained by the double standard however when it comes to other teams players

Or miss the point entirely. And there's no double standard. You said Simonise juiced*, which is factually incorrect. Thigpen actually did juice* (because he was taking anabolic steroids). You'd have to be pretty dumb to not see the difference. Then again, your whataboutism here clearly demonstrates your inability to understand as you attempt to deflect away from your precious team.

Brainless, blinded greenies... Always good for a chuckle.

*the term "juice" refers to taking steroids, not OTC weight gain supplements

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Or miss the point entirely. And there's no double standard. You said Simonise juiced*, which is factually incorrect. Thigpen actually did juice* (because he was taking anabolic steroids). You'd have to be pretty dumb to not see the difference. Then again, your whataboutism here clearly demonstrates your inability to understand as you attempt to deflect away from your precious team.

Nice straw man.  I'll go edit it so it won't be so confusing for you

Fact of the matter...Simonese admitted it..and said was a bad choice..Thigpen has denied it and said not sure how that test showed up....good indicator of character and most likely previous and continued use

Also have been informed that Simonese did not use an anabolic steriod..whereas Thigpen did...big difference 

Just now, Ripper said:

Nice straw man.  I'll go edit it so it won't be so confusing for you

You probably shouldn't use a term you don't know how to use or what it actually means. You accused Simonise of doing the same thing Thigpen did: juicing. Nobody misrepresented your argument... Can you even call what you posted an argument?

Nobody is denying Simonise made a mistake by using a banned substance during his brief NFL stint, either. You trying to make an apples to apples comparison to Thigpen's use of anabolic steroids is pitifully transparent, as it was meant to deflect from him and his mistake.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

"I'm wrong so I'm going to go edit my post so I don't look so silly."

If I was trying to be sneaky I wouldn't have mentioned it, first of all.  Secondly, I am comfortable enough to be ok being wrong.  I edited it to reflect what I should have said originally.  My point still stands

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's a lot easier to forgive a rookie a mistake if he takes his medicine and learns from it. That's just being young and growing as a person. When an older veteran does it though? Come on, even the dumbest dumb **** rider fan can see a difference. 

There is no difference, neither is in their prime.  Cheating is cheating, if you want to look at it that way.   As I said, doesn't bother me at all, steroids are as old as football.  They aren't going anywhere anytime soon

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's a lot easier to forgive a rookie a mistake if he takes his medicine and learns from it. That's just being young and growing as a person. When an older veteran does it though? Come on, even the dumbest dumb **** rider fan can see a difference

Apparently not.

35 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Do you actually believe it was the one and only time he was using a banned substance?  He was just going to make the team, and then go clean?  You actually believe that.  I also highly doubt Thigpen was only taking it for the playoffs, he was likely taking it other times too.  He is now suspended and not getting paid. He is facing the consequences.  Out of all the players that played in the cfl playoffs last year, on all the teams, Marcus Thigpen of the Riders is the only player that had a banned substance in his system?  If you actually believe that, well I guess there is no point discussing this any further

You're right. A rider was the only one dumb enough to get caught in the CFL. I'm sure plenty of athletes cheat. The dumb ones get caught and have to pay a price. That's not what I was arguing. I was trying to explain that Thigpens cheating is much more meaningful (for lack of a better term) because he was actively playing on a team and then (one could argue) was one play away from going to the championship game in that league. Where as Simonise was still trying to win a spot on a team, and hadn't played a single regular season game, never mind a playoff game. Hence: Thigpens cheating had a lot more of a positive effect on his overall team/league, than Simonise.

Guessing as to whether or not either of them would have continued if they didn't get caught is not a part of the original comparison...however it's likely safe to say that yes they would have.

So, to clarify - your comparison of the two, while on the surface is very similar. When you actually look at each case. They are quit different in terms of the effect their cheating actually had. Again, in case you are still not understanding, Thigpens had a greater effect compared to Simonise. Both were stupid. One was slightly more stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're right. A rider was the only one dumb enough to get caught in the CFL. I'm sure plenty of athletes cheat. The dumb ones get caught and have to pay a price. That's not what I was arguing. I was trying to explain that Thigpens cheating is much more meaningful (for lack of a better term) because he was actively playing on a team and then (one could argue) was one play away from going to the championship game in that league. Where as Simonise was still trying to win a spot on a team, and hadn't played a single regular season game, never mind a playoff game. Hence: Thigpens cheating had a lot more of a positive effect on his overall team/league, than Simonise.

Guessing as to whether or not either of them would have continued if they didn't get caught is not a part of the original comparison...however it's likely safe to say that yes they would have.

So, to clarify - your comparison of the two, while on the surface is very similar. When you actually look at each case. They are quit different in terms of the effect their cheating actually had. Again, in case you are still not understanding, Thigpens had a greater effect compared to Simonise. Both were stupid. One was slightly more stupid. 

Some fair points.  I agree with much of your post 

Edited by Ripper

14 hours ago, Ripper said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4186611/winnipeg-blue-bombers-take-receivers-with-first-two-draft-picks/  

Your first round pick was KNOWINGLY USING A BANNED substance in the NFL and was suspended?  Do you think the Bombers should have drafted him?  Being how he is a cheater and all

Oh dont be obtuse.  he did his time and sat out.. and missed his draft.  take your misguided rage elsewhere.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Exactly.  they are 2 very different chests.  both are bad and both are illegal but wanting to add some bulk for A TC (and yes very likely he did quit using a weight gain after..  you know.. gaining the weight to make a roster.. )

and using anabolic steroids to recover faster, be stronger, etc etc to enhance your ability to play...

Are different. But continue to hide behind your obliviousness if it makes it easier for you to stand on that mound of quicksand.

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

There is no difference, neither is in their prime.  Cheating is cheating, if you want to look at it that way.   As I said, doesn't bother me at all, steroids are as old as football.  They aren't going anywhere anytime soon

You keep calling them both steroids.  one was not a steroid.  one was an illegal weight gain supplement.  hell one I could probably buy legally.  steroids, not so much.

there is a lot of legal over the counter supplements you can take that has substances in it which is banned. When I played we had to look over the substances in things, and a lot of times the products with a "propitiatory blend" listed was reason enough to sometimes stay away as companies use that for different reasons...to hide actual dosage amounts of ingredients said in the product (mainly to snooker the consumer) and as well at times to not reveal some of the gray area stuff that is illegal...or not safe

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

NFL didn't share your feelings on the matter, 4 game suspension.  Personally it doesn't bother me either way.  I am entertained by the double standard however when it comes to other teams players

We should collectively take your opinion to heart on double standards, cuz after all you frequent cryderfans.com. if you marinate in garbage, you tend to stink like garbage. 

TAKE YOUR STINK BACK TO CRYDERFANS!!!!!

😀😂🤣😀😃😆😅😄😃😍🙄😐😀😁😂😅😆😉😀