Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

7 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't know what possessed you to bring this up, but his name was Ritch Dowrey, not Rich Downey, and he wasn't mistakenly ID'd as a gay man, he was gay.  No need to bring that into this argument however because it's not even slightly related, shame on you for trying to use it to make your point.  At least get your facts straight and use his correct name.

RIP Rich! Have a glass of Bombay in his memory.

1 minute ago, White Out said:

Sorry it just threw me. In one post the guy said his name wasn't "Rich" and then you used it directly to toast him. 

Np. It really irks me when people seem to be just looking for conflict (such as in most of this thread) and perhaps I shouldn't have taken your post as such.

I don't think it's my place to shed more light as I've been a lurker for most of my discussion board years but I will say he has become somewhat of a legendary poster going back to the early (some might argue golden) days of CFL discussion boards. Perhaps Iso can do the honour and provide some context for his post.

5 minutes ago, StevetheClub said:

Np. It really irks me when people seem to be just looking for conflict (such as in most of this thread) and perhaps I shouldn't have taken your post as such.

I don't think it's my place to shed more light as I've been a lurker for most of my discussion board years but I will say he has become somewhat of a legendary poster going back to the early (some might argue golden) days of CFL discussion boards. Perhaps Iso can do the honour and provide some context for his post.

Here is the link to the thread when we found out Ritch had passed away.   Lots of stories and memories from those who had gotten to know him through message boards and in "real life".

1 hour ago, White Out said:

Yeah again you are assuming this **** happened. Which if you just critically examine the information we have, we can say likely didn't. She didn't just run to her facebook, she posted on a radio station facebook page looking for free tickets. 

I am relying on the CBC link in this chain for the "facts" I am relying on. I don't have this woman's twitter feed, didn't see any post on her Facebook page when I looked where she was asking for a handout, and didn't see any post on Virgin 103 referencing her, much less a post from her to them asking for free tickets. So I can't speak fairly to any of that. I did listen to her version of the story in the audio clip, and it sounds like she had a couple of incidents, one inside the stadium, one outside. The "crossing guard" by the construction sounds more like a random fan who was part of the obnoxious group and not a club employee, so I don't read into the "made up" behavior as much. If I see the posts where she "demands" free stuff, then I may probably change my tune, I'm just going off of every source I have seen and it is consistent that, in what I've read the club reached out to her, and she was never looking for free stuff. And I don't think that "not removing the offending jacket" is a critical examination of a fact so much as drawing an incorrect inference to support the position to want to believe. And, full disclosure, my viewpoint comes with the personal bias of what I witnessed on Saturday as 'Rider fans in more than a few pockets had insults hurled at them as they quietly walked out of the stadium by some inebriated Bomber fans. Very small minority, mind you, but it did happen. So that lends credence to me that this could well have occurred.

In the end, we can go back and forth and not get anywhere. I don't know what happened. I have no reason to dis-believe this person. I have no real reason to personally believe her either - I don't know her. But I'm not sure what her motive to lie would be - seems a lot to get free tickets. I'd like to know if the tapes showed anything or not, to give clarity to the situation, and if she's proven to be a liar, then I'll stand up and call her a liar.

As for the Ritch Dowrey reference, I am sorry. The name mis-spelling was a spellcheck typo, but the reference to his situation as a parallel to someone being targeted for no sound reason and my criticism of any attempt to defence such an attack as being provoked to make my point about the supposed "victim blaming" here was ill-advised, inflammatory and out of place. I meant no disrespect to the atrocity he suffered or his memory, and apologize for the offence I have caused.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

39 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I am relying on the CBC link in this chain for the "facts" I am relying on. I don't have this woman's twitter feed, didn't see any post on her Facebook page when I looked where she was asking for a handout, and didn't see any post on Virgin 103 referencing her, much less a post from her to them asking for free tickets.

1st sentence in her post is trying to win tickets for the Argos game.

https://www.facebook.com/VirginRadioWinnipeg/photos/a.217193861742319.48232.217186425076396/950409938420704/?type=3&comment_id=950484911746540&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R"}

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That says something significant about her motivations. I would expect a listing on Kijiji soon.

I can't disagree with the above statement in light of that evidence. Having now read her post on Facebook, I will admit that it does significantly change my opinion of her motivation, at the very least. She says in a couple of places (in the CBC report and in a separate Facebook post) that she isn't looking for anything other than to bring the story to light - her opening line of her first post would strongly contradict that intent. Tone deaf as to the hit to her credibility at the least with that discrepancy, certainly smacks of opportunism to angle that incident into a windfall, which is unpleasant enough, or outright did make this up. If the video allows for more clarity that this was a fabrication, maybe it could be "leaked" to allow the media to have a new story to write. Thank you for providing hard evidence to bring into question some of her motivation, if not the accuracy of her story.

3 hours ago, White Out said:

? Is this a joke in poor taste or a typo?

You obviously didn't know Rich. He used to call himself Turd. He did that. And he referred to himself by that name. That was the way he was. You'd know on a weekend late Fri & Saturday nights if he was into his beloved Bombay by the way he posted & what he said.

Edited by iso_55

23 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

LOL at Rod Pedersen:

1 – How unfortunate that the 2016 Banjo Bowl was marred by the incident involving a 9-year old Winnipeg boy.  

The game was marred for you because your team lost. This is just your way of dumping on the fans of the team that beat you. It had nothing at all to do with the Banjo Bowl and everything to do with a drunken jerk. It, in no way, reflects badly on the Banjo Bowl, the team, or the fans of the team. Do you really believe there aren't any drunken jerks at Rider games? Give your head a shake.

Bomber fans reportedly mistook the child for a Rider fan (he was wearing a Blue Bomber t-shirt under a green bunnyhug), and he was sworn at and had beer dumped on him.  He left the stadium in tears.

For all I know this whole incident was staged by the Riders in retaliation for being embarrassed at being caught cheating, a far more grievous infraction that one drunken jerk swearing and dumping beer on a kid for wearing a green sweater at a Bomber game. BTW, who in their right mind would take a kid to a football game and dress him in the opposing team's colours? You'd have to be daft to do something like that. Talk about stupid! In fact it's so stupid, it makes me think it was a staged event. Then again, you can't fix stupid, so ...

Can you think of anything more despicable?  

Of course. How about the Rider fans that vandalized Paul McCallum's house? How about last year when Tim Brown was nearly killed when he was clotheslined by Randy Richards and when Richards was ejected Rider fans cheered and high-fived him as he left the field? Real nice people you have there, Rod.

Would it make it right if the child was a Rider fan?

Who's fan it was is irrelevant. What I don't know is who's fault it was, the mom's or the people that staged the event. Either way, stupid!

2 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers should be commended for dropping off a gift basket for the kid at his house, but be condemned for provoking the whole situation in the first-place.  The promotional video the Bombers released in advance of the game featured the Bomber mascots attacking a Rider fan, disrobing him in an alley, and re-dressing him in Blue Bombers gear. 

Indeed the Bombers should be commended because whether it was a staged event or just a stupid one, the Bombers did the right thing. Otherwise, the promotional video seems like good, clean fun to me and I'll bet fans of either team, young and old, enjoyed a good chuckle when they saw the video. Nice try.

That almost sounds like what happened Saturday afternoon at the game doesn’t it?

Uh no. A promotional video of mascots changing a Rider fan's clothing into Bomber colours doesn't sound like dumping beer on a kid for wearing a sweater that is the other team's colours. Are you serious? Talk about a stretch.

3 – The Roughriders’ ads for games in other cities have nothing to do with denigrating the opponent’s fanbase

Since this wasn't a game in another team's city what are you comparing? Apples and oranges? What kind of ads are run in Regina during a Bomber game?

and everything to do with celebrating the Rider Nation.  (i.e. the Roll Call billboards in Hamilton and Edmonton this year).  You’d never see the Riders call other teams’ fans “Horrible People”.  SMH.

No one called Rider fans "Horrible People" either. Aren't you supposed to be a professional sports writer? Aren't professional writers supposed to adhere to some kind of code for ethical journalism? Good grief. This piece is nothing but mean-spirited sour grapes. Your team sucks. You lost.

All teams in all cities have drunken idiots that might spill beer on someone. Quit whining, grow up, and do something useful like suggest ways to prevent a drunken idiot from doing the things drunken idiots do. You got anything? Didn't think so.

If I was in her shoes I would lay low for awhile and not be in a rush to attend a second Bomber game anytime soon.  The way she is being shredded on social media some Jackass is likely to step forward and ensure that her son's second Bomber game is as traumatic as the first.  She's not likely to get the love and support she's hoping to find.

17 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Why do we even give that asshat Pederson any recognition for what he says?

exactly what I was thinking... his bullshit, Rider-blowing shtick has reached an all time low... the best to do would be to ignore him... especially as fans of another team... you know he'll have a bunch of green-goggle fans following him til they die!