Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

but liquor is the common theme when people act like tools in public.  take it away or reduce it significantly and I believe you've made steps in prevention.  Inhibition is a hell of of a thing when your sober enough to use it wisely.  Do you think a sober person would pour a pepsi on a kid cuz hes wearing a green billabong sweater or would they realize it's not even rider gear and relax

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Breathalyzers at the gate and vendors. Ive drank a lot at games and concerts but only times ive been ridiculously drunk was when I pregamed hard. Banning booze isnt the way but cutting off those that have had well beyond a reasonable amount might reduce such incidents

Hand out some public drunkenness tickets. It is a event that is open to families. There is absolutely no reason why kids should have to be around drunks swearing and fighting. Its complete BS that a very small group gets to wreck it for so many others.  We have all been to plenty of games and some people can clearly be seen to be impaired and should be kicked out. The stadiums are to blame to a certain extent for allowing it to happen right under their noses.

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Hand out some public drunkenness tickets. It is a event that is open to families. There is absolutely no reason why kids should have to be around drunks swearing and fighting. Its complete BS that a very small group gets to wreck it for so many others.  We have all been to plenty of games and some people can clearly be seen to be impaired and should be kicked out. The stadiums are to blame to a certain extent for allowing it to happen right under their noses.

Interesting solution, is it legal to serve alcohol to someone until they are drunk and then hit them with a public drunkenness ticket while they are on your private property?  Not so sure about that one.

Also, I can't imagine someone thinking "Oh wait I shouldn't dump beer on this child's head, I might get a ticket."

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

This isn't going to solve anything.

I  would hazard a guess that 60% of the people who attend sporting events go nowhere near the beer line and a further 30% who only have one or two per game.  It's the 5-10% that have 4 or more beers that are the cause of the majority of problems.  If they could find a way to effectively segregate the crowd that goes to the game to party, they would go a long way to reducing incidents of this nature.

There is a fella on Facebook that is looking for video of this incident. Ironically his name is Christopher Jones. He just wants to get to the facts of the matter. 

Fan violence is far from being a new thing. You all have heard the soccer hooligan  stories, or the deaths that have occurred in the US because of intense rivalries and important games. The NFL evidently meets weekly to review fan violence incidents.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/news/serious-fan-violence-taking-on-life-of-its-own-can-it-be-stopped/ 

fan blow back against boneheaded fan actions can also be severe. See aftermath for Steve Bartman incident.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Interesting solution, is it legal to serve alcohol to someone until they are drunk and then hit them with a public drunkenness ticket while they are on your private property?  Not so sure about that one.

Also, I can't imagine someone thinking "Oh wait I shouldn't dump beer on this child's head, I might get a ticket."

Good point I guess. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a beer at the game, but yet not have to put up with people that are hammered.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I  would hazard a guess that 60% of the people who attend sporting events go nowhere near the beer line and a further 30% who only have one or two per game.  It's the 5-10% that have 4 or more beers that are the cause of the majority of problems.  If they could find a way to effectively segregate the crowd that goes to the game to party, they would go a long way to reducing incidents of this nature.

I think you could break that 10% down even further to the people who get wasted and have a good time and the people who get wasted and start **** as a consequence...

To me, it really doesn't matter if the kid had been decked out head to toe in Rider stuff.  You leave kids alone.  Have some fun with adult fans of rival teams, but let the little ones just be.  I've high fived little rider fans, just because I think it's great that there might be another CFL fan growing up to support the league.   And consider this, if the kid is decked out in Rider wear, isn't he already suffering enough?

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah my one Jets game I go to last year and I get jumped by this guy....

len-kropioski.png

anyone recognize him?  I didn't get his name, just felt my face headbutt his fist a few times...

Quoting my own post - #RIPKroppy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/len-kropioski-kroppy-death-jets-fan-1.3761283

Edited by kelownabomberfan

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

How?   Let's assume that this all actually happened.  How do you stop someone from pouring a beer on a kid's head?  Mind-reading security?  Only let in "good people"?  Really, I'd love to hear how you prevent something like this.  I'll wait for your response.

The consequences need to be higher. Long-term and permanent bans need to be handed out. The rules need to be harsh so people won't do these things in the first place. If alcohol is the problem, then monitor how much people are drinking. Refuse to sell drinks if anyone appears to be getting drunk. Or set a limit to how many drinks you can buy. Yes, this is variable with different people, but it's a start.

It's impossible to guarantee with rules that nothing will happen, but it helps reduce cases like it.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Good point I guess. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a beer at the game, but yet not have to put up with people that are hammered.

I am not much of a beer drinker (not at all, in fact) but my brother in law loves the taste of beer, but is paranoid about getting a DWI charge, so he drinks that near-beer stuff. Apparently, the stuff was very bad some 20 years ago when it first came out, but now he tells me it is pretty much indistinguishable from the real stuff. So, what would happen if about half-time the stadium switched over?

3 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

The consequences need to be higher. Long-term and permanent bans need to be handed out. The rules need to be harsh so people won't do these things in the first place. If alcohol is the problem, then monitor how much people are drinking. Refuse to sell drinks if anyone appears to be getting drunk. Or set a limit to how many drinks you can buy. Yes, this is variable with different people, but it's a start.

It's impossible to guarantee with rules that nothing will happen, but it helps reduce cases like it.

There's literally zero evidence this happened. Not a single cell phone pic, video, eye witness, nothing. Zilch.

all we have is someone who has told a pretty fantastic story that brings into question her own judgement (again, leaving a beer soaked abuse magnet on her child) riddled with tall tales of abuse from several groups of fans and even volunteers. Incredible stuff. Then, instead of going to the team directly or authorities, nope, puts her story on a radio station facebook like a contest entry to get tickets to another game.

Wait what? You suffer this bizare, nearly "the purge" style public abuse and you want to go right back?

Right. Right.

5 minutes ago, White Out said:

There's literally zero evidence this happened. Not a single cell phone pic, video, eye witness, nothing. Zilch.

all we have is someone who has told a pretty fantastic story that brings into question her own judgement (again, leaving a beer soaked abuse magnet on her child) riddled with tall tales of abuse from several groups of fans and even volunteers. Incredible stuff. Then, instead of going to the team directly or authorities, nope, puts her story on a radio station facebook like a contest entry to get tickets to another game.

Wait what? You suffer this bizare, nearly "the purge" style public abuse and you want to go right back?

Right. Right.

Totally agree. I don't believe a word of what this woman said.

Apparently she was sitting in one of the student sections in the North End Zone. Maybe someone who posts on here saw her.

3 hours ago, Rod Black said:

There is a fella on Facebook that is looking for video of this incident. Ironically his name is Christopher Jones. He just wants to get to the facts of the matter. 

Fan violence is far from being a new thing. You all have heard the soccer hooligan  stories, or the deaths that have occurred in the US because of intense rivalries and important games. The NFL evidently meets weekly to review fan violence incidents.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/news/serious-fan-violence-taking-on-life-of-its-own-can-it-be-stopped/ 

fan blow back against boneheaded fan actions can also be severe. See aftermath for Steve Bartman incident.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident 

Unrelated to the incident, if it's the same Christopher Jones (in BC), the guy is a moron.

21 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

They already do all these things.

35 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

Serious question and I'm not asking this to diminish anything you may have to say but aren't you like 15 years old?

I guess what I'm saying is familiarity with how alcohol consumption can and can't be dealt with may be out of your comfort zone. These things are already ALL in place.

Rules don't prevent jerks from being jerks. People who break rules aren't going to be deterred by more rules.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Serious question and I'm not asking this to diminish anything you may have to say but aren't you like 15 years old?

He's said that before... but he's also said he doesn't go to the bar much but he sometimes goes to pubs?  I wouldn't put much stock in what he has to say.

LOL at Rod Pedersen:

1 – How unfortunate that the 2016 Banjo Bowl was marred by the incident involving a 9-year old Winnipeg boy.  Bomber fans reportedly mistook the child for a Rider fan (he was wearing a Blue Bomber t-shirt under a green bunnyhug), and he was sworn at and had beer dumped on him.  He left the stadium in tears. Can you think of anything more despicable?  Would it make it right if the child was a Rider fan?

2 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers should be commended for dropping off a gift basket for the kid at his house, but be condemned for provoking the whole situation in the first-place.  The promotional video the Bombers released in advance of the game featured the Bomber mascots attacking a Rider fan, disrobing him in an alley, and re-dressing him in Blue Bombers gear. 

That almost sounds like what happened Saturday afternoon at the game doesn’t it?

3 – The Roughriders’ ads for games in other cities have nothing to do with denigrating the opponent’s fanbase and everything to do with celebrating the Rider Nation.  (i.e. the Roll Call billboards in Hamilton and Edmonton this year).  You’d never see the Riders call other teams’ fans “Horrible People”.  SMH.

http://www.riderville.com/2016/09/14/rods-blog-2/