Incident at Banjo Bowl

Blueballz

I want to say that I doubt she is lying; and I also doubt it was as bad as she made it out to be.  We have to remember that there is a difference between a lie and one persons reality or opinion.  A lie is telling someone something that is completely false and knowing that it is false.  For example, perhaps there were some fairly intoxicated people behind her.  As typical that happens at a sports game, fans heckle fans of the other side.  Even in Edmonton where I go to watch the bombers play, this happens to me as I cheer on the bombers.  Now, this heckling to her could be that they were in her face, being very mean, using terribly inappropriate language and just down right disturbing.  The reality to her is that it was this terrible terrible experience.  Now to myself, the heckling I could consider fun and we can do it back and forth, or I can be like typically drunk idiots and carry on.  I honestly wouldn't consider the language an issue because if I didn't want my 9 year old child to hear profanities I would not have taken them to a place where I knew alcohol was being sold.  I probably wouldn't even take them to a sports game as even in Junior A hockey you will hear much profanity just due to the passion of the fan base in typical sports.  I'm sure even a golfer once in awhile goes "awww *****" 

Next it could have been that someone did throw a drink at the child, or it could have been that someone purposely dumped a drink on the child, or it could have been that someone accidentally dropped a drink and it splashed up and hit the child.  Now even if it was the latter, the reality to her and her child could be that they truly believed that someone intentionally dumped their drink on the poor 9 year old boy.  Even if this is far from what happened, keyword is if.  The reality to this mother is that it did happen.  It doesn't mean she is lying if she truly believes that these are the events that took place.

Let's keep an open mind, and instead of putting blame in either direction. Respect that the Blue Bombers are taking the steps necessary to verify what they feel the reality of the incident was; and that they are taking corrective actions to help assist with this mothers reality of the incident even if it is possible that she could be slightly exaggerating. 

I think its good on the Blue Bombers for what they have done because in reality this wasn't even someone from the Blue Bomber organization that caused the incident.  It was just a bunch of fans in close quarters who may have taken things a little too far.

Cheers,

Tehedra

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Also, all surveillance video has now been reviewed, and I am sure everyone doesn't need me to tell them what was found. 

16 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Spell it out for us, because there are a number of people here that think a claim of wrongdoing is all the proof we need to know that Bomber fans are cruel heartless child-hating drunks.

Maybe you should spell it out, as there are also a number of people here who don't want to believe that there are drunken Bomber "fans" who do stupid, terrible things because they get too drunk and like to mouth off to people wearing green tops, thinking that they must be evil Rider fans, and would rather look for a con artist mom and her nine year old son fabricating a story to swindle the Bombers in to giving them free tickets. Not saying that didn't actually happen, but I don't really see a motive to lie there, and my 35 year history of attending Bombers games has led me to see more than a few drunken escapades that were less than civil [*cough* beer can thrown at Rocket Ismael, snowballs thrown at the opposing team, beer bottles thrown in the stands breaking a fan's jaw and cutting her face, fan jumping on the field and fighting a player, fans knocking down the TV tent, "beer snakes" being dismantled and cups thrown around at people, fights in the stands between fans, between fans and security, between fans dressed like Hulk Hogan and police *cough, cough*]. I tend to believe the woman, but enough don't that perhaps we do need proof to avoid persecuting her and her kid with no proof that it didn't happen, either.

There's no proof that it didn't happen unless the cameras show it didn't.  And there's no proof it did unless the cameras showed it did. 

I find it likely that nothing really happened at all.  It is just a mom who likes getting free stuff getting free stuff. She's so distraught by the incident that she's going to go to the argos game a week later.  

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

There's no proof that it didn't happen unless the cameras show it didn't.  And there's no proof it did unless the cameras showed it did. 

I find it likely that nothing really happened at all.  It is just a mom who likes getting free stuff getting free stuff. She's so distraught by the incident that she's going to go to the argos game a week later.  

I thought the saying was innocent until proven guilty?

With respect to her hurt feelings and the feelings of all the people that defend or rationalize her lying, I'm going to go ahead and be all indignant about this. I'm a passionate fan of this team and this organization, and I identify with the team on a personal emotional level. If in fact nothing went down the way she describes, then she dragged our collective names through the mud and even profited from it in the end. Not just Bomber fans either, but ordinary citizens and city workers were described as aggressors.

Meanwhile, the rest of the league gets to hear all about what cruel drunks Bomber fans are, towards children no less. I'm sure we as fans do stupid things at games, often fueled by alcohol... but if our team and our city are gonna get raked through the coals, let it be for something that actually happened.

Do the cameras cover and record every section of the stadium?  And if they do how far away are the images recorded?  Cameras that are 50 - 100 hundred feet away may catch a hundred or so people in the crowd at once at the time of the incident in which the incident can barely be seen.

And as for the saying it had to have been recorded by someone or seen by hundreds of people- 1. the incident was probably over within a few seconds which probably wouldn't even be enough time for people to take out their phones and record it happening and 2. since there is a high likelihood that this incident did occur within a matter of seconds, a person within 10-20 feet may have missed it entirely for a number of reasons ie turned in another direction talking to friends; in a crowd, so other people obstructed the view; noise immediately around you may prevent you from hearing the taunts of the little boy.

This is especially true if the incident was a partial accident.  A few fans may taunt the boy which is also not cool, then there is a little bit of jostling and a beer is partially spilled on him.  Some may view the same seen as an accident while others see it as deliberate and they could both be right.

So, lets review shall we?

Mom takes her child to a Bomber game. After the big win 2 female Bomber fans pour beer all over her son for wearing a green jacket. No cell phone pics taken by anyone, including the mom, or video. No surveillance video exists showing this. Zip. She is then told explicitly that the reason they did it is because her kid is wearing a green jacket.

Ok, so, decision time. Do I leave my child in a beer soaked, stinky, smelly, abuse magnet and drag him through more abuse? Or take it off him for his own well being and comfort, and take away a target. Nope. Let's keep it on. 

Then, and again, with no one coming forward as a witness, she describes further fan ridicule and abuse. People harass her child, and they harass her now too for being fat. No cell phone videos or pictures of this incredible public torment, no witnesses.

Then, Rider fans come in on their white horse and hug the child. These people have also chosen to stay silent. No pictures of this poignant scene, no video, no witnesses. Like it never happened. She then proceeds, STILL with her child in a BEER SOAKED abuse magnet, STILL leaving it on, and then gets harassed by volunteers helping with traffic. Again, no witnesses, no one intervening, nothing. 

She then gets home and posts this on a local radio station facebook angling for free tickets, to go right back into the hotbed of abuse from whence she came. 

If you believe this, hey, email me your credit card numbers and I'll tell you if they're lucky. (JK dont actually do that).

Edited by White Out

8 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I sense that some people are actually eager to believe this farce. If the cameras show her getting up out of her seats and simply walking out, dry and untouched... I would be mad enough to dump a beer on someone

The Bombers can't expose her as a fraud as that has the potential to expose them to further abuse the next time they attend a game as the entire stadium would be angry with them.  They have to let this pass.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The Bombers can't expose her as a fraud as that has the potential to expose them to further abuse the next time they attend a game.  They have to let this pass.

Yes, you're exactly right. What a classy organization the Bombers are said nobody on twitter this week

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The Bombers can't expose her as a fraud as that has the potential to expose them to further abuse the next time they attend a game.  They have to let this pass.

Exactly. Which is why I posted the Bartman story re: Chicago Cubs. The organization has to take steps to ensure every game attendees safety.

16 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Do the cameras cover and record every section of the stadium?  And if they do how far away are the images recorded?  Cameras that are 50 - 100 hundred feet away may catch a hundred or so people in the crowd at once at the time of the incident in which the incident can barely be seen.

And as for the saying it had to have been recorded by someone or seen by hundreds of people- 1. the incident was probably over within a few seconds which probably wouldn't even be enough time for people to take out their phones and record it happening and 2. since there is a high likelihood that this incident did occur within a matter of seconds, a person within 10-20 feet may have missed it entirely for a number of reasons ie turned in another direction talking to friends; in a crowd, so other people obstructed the view; noise immediately around you may prevent you from hearing the taunts of the little boy.

This is especially true if the incident was a partial accident.  A few fans may taunt the boy which is also not cool, then there is a little bit of jostling and a beer is partially spilled on him.  Some may view the same seen as an accident while others see it as deliberate and they could both be right.

I would say they can find what they are looking for if it actually happened the way she says it did.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Bombers-are-watching-you-206741481.html

A total of 55 cameras — including four with technology so sophisticated it will allow security to zoom in on an item an individual fan is holding — will watch over the stands, concourse and parking lots when the new stadium unofficially opens later this month.

"These cameras can zero right in. If you’re sitting in any seat in the stadium, I could tell you the brand of pop you’re drinking or things like that,"

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I didn't see anywhere that the mom demanded tickets from the Bombers as payback. And the "media" she ran to was social media, specifically her own Facebook post, where she just vented about the situation (but of course, that's just attention seeking too for the sake of getting free stuff, right everyone on this public fan forum??? *INSERT MASSIVE SARCASM EMOTICON HERE*). Bottom line, I don't see someone looking for a handout. The post got attention, the media jumped on board because they like to stir stuff up, and the club reacted with an effort to woo her back. Good for them. I don't know if it did or didn't happen. If video clearly shows one way or another, then maybe that should be disclosed, as it seems to have engendered some strong defensive opinions on both sides (present company included). If it didn't happen, them shame on her for being a gold digging opportunist using her son to get free stuff. If it did happen, shame on those people who would go after any rival fan, much less and kid, just for wearing the wrong colour jacket. I just know I saw enough unprovoked abuse of 'Rider fans myself by quite a few Bomber fans leaving the stadium on Saturday, after a win no less, when it should have been all roses and sunshine, to not be surprised that this kind of thing would happen.

I get that it's fashionable to take shots at rival fans, especially 'Rider fans, on this forum, and that can extend to some good natured ribbing in the stands. But to make it abusive is deplorable in my mind, and not "just good natured fun", especially if the target is not a willing participant in the first place, not on a level to defend themselves (like a child would be), and not even doing anything to provoke the situation in a case of mistaken identity. Am I being overly sensitive about this? Maybe the physical assault (and ultimate death) of Rich Downey, may he rest in peace, at the hands of a drunken bigot who mistakenly ID'd him as a gay man has sucked the humour out of me for incidents like this, where someone gets targeted just for what they are wearing or where they are.

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I didn't see anywhere that the mom demanded tickets from the Bombers as payback. And the "media" she ran to was social media, specifically her own Facebook post, where she just vented about the situation (but of course, that's just attention seeking too for the sake of getting free stuff, right everyone on this public fan forum??? *INSERT MASSIVE SARCASM EMOTICON HERE*). Bottom line, I don't see someone looking for a handout. The post got attention, the media jumped on board because they like to stir stuff up, and the club reacted with an effort to woo her back. Good for them. I don't know if it did or didn't happen. If video clearly shows one way or another, then maybe that should be disclosed, as it seems to have engendered some strong defensive opinions on both sides (present company included). If it didn't happen, them shame on her for being a gold digging opportunist using her son to get free stuff. If it did happen, shame on those people who would go after any rival fan, much less and kid, just for wearing the wrong colour jacket. I just know I saw enough unprovoked abuse of 'Rider fans myself by quite a few Bomber fans leaving the stadium on Saturday, after a win no less, when it should have been all roses and sunshine, to not be surprised that this kind of thing would happen.

I get that it's fashionable to take shots at rival fans, especially 'Rider fans, on this forum, and that can extend to some good natured ribbing in the stands. But to make it abusive is deplorable in my mind, and not "just good natured fun", especially if the target is not a willing participant in the first place, not on a level to defend themselves (like a child would be), and not even doing anything to provoke the situation in a case of mistaken identity. Am I being overly sensitive about this? Maybe the physical assault (and ultimate death) of Rich Downey, may he rest in peace, at the hands of a drunken bigot who mistakenly ID'd him as a gay man has sucked the humour out of me for incidents like this, where someone gets targeted just for what they are wearing or where they are.

Yeah again you are assuming this **** happened. Which if you just critically examine the information we have, we can say likely didn't. She didn't just run to her facebook, she posted on a radio station facebook page looking for free tickets. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Am I being overly sensitive about this? Maybe the physical assault (and ultimate death) of Rich Downey, may he rest in peace, at the hands of a drunken bigot who mistakenly ID'd him as a gay man has sucked the humour out of me for incidents like this, where someone gets targeted just for what they are wearing or where they are.

I don't know what possessed you to bring this up, but his name was Ritch Dowrey, not Rich Downey, and he wasn't mistakenly ID'd as a gay man, he was gay.  No need to bring that into this argument however because it's not even slightly related, shame on you for trying to use it to make your point.  At least get your facts straight and use his correct name.