Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

And the politicians get involved. Former CPC MP and current wannabe AB PC leader, Jason Kenney, blasts the Riders on social media for bringing aboard, "an unrepentant anti semite".... This isn't going away anytime soon..... 

13 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Any truth to the rumour, he signed, ate a huge lunch and then retired right after his bonus check cleared?

Mitchell has been out of the game what, two years?  How the hell does a guy in his condition get in playing shape when there are only 3 months left in the season?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Mitchell has been out of the game what, two years?  How the hell does a guy in his condition get in playing shape when there are only 3 months left in the season?

He doesn't strike me as the kind of player that would keep himself in shape while not playing...

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Some interesting stats from Derek Taylor.

I believe the expected in this case would be expected in terms of league average based on field position, game score, etc.

Defence definitely playing better since Nichols went it.  

If only they could get Castillo into the top 4 it would be a Bomber sweep.  Somebody obviously knows what they're doing when it comes to recruiting kickers and stealing away the best.

Rod Pedersen @rodpedersen

New Rider DT Khalif Mitchell feels he can play Sunday in LDC. Says he's been farming, far harder than football.

3:08 PM - 31 Aug 2016

-Here you go Rider marketing department: "Farming, far harder than football" would be flying off the shelves in Sasky if printed on XXL women's t-shirts, combine bumper stickers, and dripping melon helmets. Billboards near all Orthodontics clinics should also be emblazoned.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

can someone put into english what that "Expected" stuff is? What exactly is he trying to say? Nichols is getting more help than Willy did? 

I'm not sure exactly how he does his stats, and what his definition of expected is, but I've done some reading / research on some of the advanced analytics that some NFL sites have been doing.

Basically what they do, is for every play, they take your down, distance, time remaining in the game, and score, and compare it to the league average of how all teams have done in those situation.

For example, if you are down by a touchdown in the 4th quarter, on your side of the field, it is 2nd down and 7 to go, how many times have teams converted the first down, how many times have teams punted.  On that drive in that situation, how many teams have gone on to score, etc.   What is the average expected success of that play.  And how do you compare to that average.

So if we are 14 points above expected with Nichols, it means we are out performing the league average in those (overall) situations by scoring 14 more points than what teams typically score in the situations we've been in.

Under Willy, we were -11 points.  So given the down, distance, score, etc, we were not scoring as much as league average in those situations.

I don't know how many conditions (ie. field position, down and distance, point in the game, etc) he takes into account in his analytics.  

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm not sure exactly how he does his stats, and what his definition of expected is, but I've done some reading / research on some of the advanced analytics that some NFL sites have been doing.

Basically what they do, is for every play, they take your down, distance, time remaining in the game, and score, and compare it to the league average of how all teams have done in those situation.

For example, if you are down by a touchdown in the 4th quarter, on your side of the field, it is 2nd down and 7 to go, how many times have teams converted the first down, how many times have teams punted.  On that drive in that situation, how many teams have gone on to score, etc.   What is the average expected success of that play.  And how do you compare to that average.

So if we are 14 points above expected with Nichols, it means we are out performing the league average in those (overall) situations by scoring 14 more points than what teams typically score in the situations we've been in.

Under Willy, we were -11 points.  So given the down, distance, score, etc, we were not scoring as much as league average in those situations.

I don't know how many conditions (ie. field position, down and distance, point in the game, etc) he takes into account in his analytics.  

thanks Rich...that makes more sense. Also, I hate Fancy Stats. Be it hockey or football.......ugh.

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

Funny how one or two posters were trying to say Nichols wasn't capitalizing on scoring opportunities.

Just a quick perusal online about Mitchell, if he was suspended for certain comments previously and continues to make them, I can't see why the CFL would allow the signing.  It might seem like overkill, but I'd applaud the league if they suspended Mitchell indefinitely.  And as an added bonus, it will add the conspiracy against the Riders stuff...so that would be fun to see.

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Funny how one or two posters were trying to say Nichols wasn't capitalizing on scoring opportunities.

Actually, I was one of these posters, so I find this stat to be intriguing, and would really like to know the details behind how he calculates it and what he is looking at.

My criticism has been around the feeling that we are taking too many field goals when touchdowns should be scored.

I'd like to know his sample size that he compares "to average".  Is it just this season?  If it includes prior seasons, how far back does it go.  One of the problems with doing this in the CFL, is your sample size to generate your numbers is much smaller than the NFL.   

I remain baffled that there is anyone who can justify or rationalise the Mitchell signing.  And yet, there they are, talking about how he'll bring a sort of 
nasty to the d-line that it sorely needs. I'm pretty libertarian about most things, and I'll rarely be among the first 10,000 people to be offended by anything, but golly this is a bad move. 

The only thing I can think of is that they've signed this dude to try to distract from the rest of the horrible events of the season - like fighting a fire by starting another fire or something.  "Hey, did y'all see that we signed this anti-semitic, conspiracy theorist racist? And y'all are still talking about salary cap issues?"