Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

So Mitchell has been farming....what///pea farming....wheat farming...pansy farming  lol....Most likely sitting on his duff on some equipment getting in real good shape....Farming is a helluva lot dif., in any case, than getting slobberknocked by a big o lineman as big as he is...Of course he could resort to the 'arm twisting,arm breaking' move he used on Rottier...Best tell our guys to watch out for that move...The guy is a dirty player and there's an example...In any case he'll probably be all out of wind after his first reps. unless he starts expounding on the authenticity of the holocaust...In that case he won't last a down.. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Actually, I was one of these posters, so I find this stat to be intriguing, and would really like to know the details behind how he calculates it and what he is looking at.

My criticism has been around the feeling that we are taking too many field goals when touchdowns should be scored.

I think this might be a little bit of selective memory -- sure, we took a lot of early threes last week against Montreal, but against Hamilton, we turned every mistake they made into a TD.

5 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I think this might be a little bit of selective memory -- sure, we took a lot of early threes last week against Montreal, but against Hamilton, we turned every mistake they made into a TD.

It's certainly selective memory but not on Rich's part ;)

Hamilton turnovers

Masoli fumble - result was a TD

Blocked punt - result was a FG

Loffler INT - result was a FG

Wild INT - result was a FG

We had two touchdowns on Hamilton's five turnovers and one of them was a pick 6 which means nothing to the effectiveness of our offense. Our offense converted ONE turnover into a TD.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's certainly selective memory but not on Rich's part ;)

Hamilton turnovers

Masoli fumble - result was a TD

Blocked punt - result was a FG

Loffler INT - result was a FG

Wild INT - result was a FG

We had two touchdowns on Hamilton's five turnovers and one of them was a pick 6 which means nothing to the effectiveness of our offense. Our offense converted ONE turnover into a TD.

To be fair our Backup QB and WRs and partial oline converted 1 into a TD :) But agreed. We need to turn those into TDs 50-60% of the time not 25%

I'm talking about the Hamilton lightning home game, the one where we went up 28-0 on a CJ Roberts pick-6, a Denmark TD set up by a Fogg return, a Mayo TD set up by a Thomas fumble, and a Harris TD.  Nicholls was having zero trouble converting his opportunities in that game.

That first game you're talking about, that was a Willy game, and yeah, we didn't convert our opportunities, and that's exactly what the expected points scoring stat is saying -- Willy can't capitalize, but Nichols has been capitalizing at a better rate than the CFL as a whole.

Edited by johnzo

Just now, johnzo said:

I'm talking about the Hamilton lightning home game, the one where we went up 28-0 on a CJ Roberts pick, a Denmark TD set up by a Fogg return, a Mayo TD set up by a Thomas fumble, and a Harris TD.  Nicholls was having zero trouble converting his opportunities in that game.

That first game you're talking about, that was a Willy game, and yeah, we didn't convert our opportunities, and that's exactly what the expected points scoring stat is saying -- Willy can't capitalize, but Nichols has been capitalizing at a better rate than the CFL as a whole.

We're talking about the same game.

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

How many of those turnover opportunities have come in garbage time?  We had a ton of picks in the back end of the Toronto and Hamilton games, when we were on cruise control and Lapo was calling things even more conservatively.

None of those turnovers I listed came inside the final 5 minutes of the game. One of them in the fourth quarter.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nichols' inability to put 7s on the board has gone very under the radar is all I'm saying. For all the opportunities he's had ... it's not a great record of success.

Its because you are winning and that trumps everything. When you lose those missed chances will be front and center. Last week you guys only scored one offensive td, a late running play by Harris. The Bomber are a qb away from being a really good team.

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Its because you are winning and that trumps everything. When you lose those missed chances will be front and center. Last week you guys only scored one offensive td, a late running play by Harris. The Bomber are a qb away from being a really good team.

Completely agreed....Nichols is doing just enough to not lose the game, but what could we do with an actual, quality starter?

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Completely agreed....Nichols is doing just enough to not lose the game, but what could we do with an actual, quality starter?

Look at the string of field goals last week, I believe it was 4. That game should have been a absolute shyt kicking if you guys could have put the ball in the endzone.  The most important thing is the boys believe in Nichols and he isn't making mistakes and is WINNING. That goes along way. As a Rider fan I am hoping Nichols continues to struggle scoring and we can win because of it. Because if you guys ever get that straightened out you aren't going to be much fun to play against this year for anyone.

5 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Some info on KM's tweets. Some as recent as August.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/khalif-mitchell-and-his-anti-semitic-memes-ride-again-in-regina-181548303.html

He's locked his twitter account down so you can't see the actual tweets.

Good to see that most of the RiderFans posters are not behind the move.

No one is behind it. We are just hoping he isn't going to be a idiot while here and can play ball and help the team. I've have not read one post that says anyone wanted to bring him in.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

No one is behind it. We are just hoping he isn't going to be a idiot while here and can play ball and help the team. I've have not read one post that says anyone wanted to bring him in.

Not good enough. And not what I'm reading there for the most part. He should not be allowed to play in the CFL. And, I suspect, he won't be. Enough of an outrage that I think even Jones backs away from this.