Bombers mini camp in Wpg Apr 25-27 open to public

Lapo's wrap on mini-camp.

Our offensive mini camp earlier this week was the product of months of planning by possibly our best offseason acquisition in offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice. LaPo lives and breathes this stuff. For the last four months, he has been hunkered down in his office or his quarterback meeting room, with a full-wall white board, scripting his plans for the season. As I’ve mentioned, he and I worked together here from 2010-2012 when he was the Head Coach, so we know each other well and it’s really great to have him back around the building. A few Saturdays ago, I was walking by his office and he called me in. He wanted to show me a play he’d created. Obviously I can’t go into specifics, but as he described it and showed me how it will work, his eyes lit up like that of a mad scientist’s admiring his latest creation.

So when he popped by my office the other day, I had to ask him his thoughts on the three-day mini camp. Coach LaPolice is a teacher, and in conversations with players following the camp, they all raved about how he doesn’t stop teaching on the field. He was noticeably more vocal at practice than he was as a Head Coach, but that’s normal and understandable given a Head Coach’s role is different during practice than a coordinator or position coach.

So, I asked him, what did you think of the three days? And off he went, eyes lit up. “We worked on motions, we worked on cadences; guys now understand the tempo we want, the speed at which we want to do things. We put in three days of installation, installing parts of the offence. Guys are going to be more prepared offensively than if we hadn’t done this, no question.”

The offensive staff had actually carded 105 plays – and with the help of some Bisons players standing in as defenders, Coach LaPolice and his staff were able to run through the 105 plays that were drawn up going against a stand-in front seven defence. “It was a huge help for us, especially for the offensive line and running backs, so they would know who to block in certain scenarios. We had it drawn out so guys could see how the play would develop and where they would need to go, blocking wise.”
Coach LaPolice has implanted a communication software program so all of his offensive guys can join a network, and communicate not only to him and the other players, but the coaches can send them all film, plans etc. As he sat in my office, his phone rang. “Oh, Julian Talley just joined the receivers group,” he said. This stuff makes him tick.

Here are a few other notes from the offensive boss’s brain following mini camp.

On Drew Willy: “Stood out, as we expected. Very good leader and very good quarterback. Solid. Threw the ball well. Short and deep very well. He performed at a high level.”

On Ryan Smith and Weston Dressler: “They studied and practiced the way we expected them too. Effort and attitude, they’re professionals and are going to be huge for the younger guys in training camp on offence.”

On what fans can expect come main camp: “More of the same. Keep teaching them, but also installing more concepts and then start fine-tuning it all. We want the offence churning full-go come June 24.”

On being back on the field coaching after three years off: “It was pretty cool, to be honest. I loved my time at TSN but to be back out there teaching and coaching with Coach O’Shea and the entire staff, it’s what I love to do.”

As far as this camp.....anything that helps this team hit the ground running, will meet with my approval.

Seems to be some emphasis on creating multiple options, and making adjustments on the fly, at a high tempo - all items that were completely lacking, last season.

I expect to see some variant of the West Coast O.....given the Bombers intent to load up on smaller speedy YAC type guys and as a byproduct - have our OL hold blocks for a shorter period of time.    Something like the New England setup, with bunch formations and triangle patterns - forcing the D to account for sideline to sideline....and using the pass to set up the run.  Willy throws a very accurate short ball, and Harris's ability in the draw/screen game, is also a good fit as a RB in this kind of system. 

Should be interesting.....

Edited by do or die

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Coach LaPolice is a teacher, and in conversations with players following the camp, they all raved about how he doesn’t stop teaching on the field. He was noticeably more vocal at practice than he was as a Head Coach, but that’s normal and understandable given a Head Coach’s role is different during practice than a coordinator or position coach.

Mike Kelly was a teacher.  Tim Burke was a teacher.  Mike O'Shea is a teacher.  Lapo is a teacher.  Time for a new descriptor.  I like "leader", and "winner".

Edited by kelownabomberfan

I hear what you're saying KBF, but Mike Kelly was full blown el pollo loco and Tim Burke the HC was equal parts coward (the knee) / victim of circumstance (Goltz) with a sprinkling of dummy (the Banjo Bowl punt). I don't think O'Shea has earned the comparison to those two guys quite yet. At least O'Shea seems to learn from his mistakes, and has yet to throw any player under the bus or get caught spying on another team's practice.

Edited by MOBomberFan

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I hear what you're saying KBF, but Mike Kelly was full blown el pollo loco and Tim Burke the HC was equal parts coward (the knee) / victim of circumstance (Goltz) with a sprinkling of dummy (the Banjo Bowl punt). I don't think O'Shea has earned the comparison to those two guys quite yet. At least O'Shea seems to learn from his mistakes, and has yet to throw any player under the bus or get caught spying on another team's practice.

yup I was mostly just posting with my tongue in my cheek...which I am prone to do from time to time...

Too much? Months and months of piddly information and now we get some, and it's too much? I get that you may not like his style, but just weed through the yardage and pull out the good stuff. For example:

l liked the fact that this mini camp was the result of months of planning..I didn't know that.

A play that was designed by Lapo..and he's excited about it. Looking forward to it. Again, who knew?

It has been reported that players love the non-stop teaching by Lapo. Would one of our posters been able to relay that info?

Lapo speaks of the tempo that they want and the speed at which they want to do things. Much better than the walk up, whatever will be, will be attitude of previous offences. I want to hear that.

I like the phrase - 3 days of installation. They feel they're more prepared than if they hadn't done it this way. They carded 105 plays. That's a lot.

LaPolice has implemented a communication software program. He's given his views on Willy, Dressler and Smith. 

This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to read about...especially because we can't see football yet.

On 30/04/2016 at 10:03 PM, Mr Dee said:

Too much? Months and months of piddly information and now we get some, and it's too much? I get that you may not like his style, but just weed through the yardage and pull out the good stuff. For example:

You're right, there is plenty of interesting info in there... it's just surrounded by so much "Lapo is so great" and "everyone is so happy and excited to be here"... I wish he would tone it down on the unabashed optimism and keep it more information based... just my opinion...

Guest J5V
11 hours ago, Atomic said:

There's no way we only start 7 NI's.  It will be 8 or possibly 9 to begin the season.  I know everyone is all horny to see Hurl and Bucknor lose their starting spots but it's not likely to happen.

If true, that's unfortunate.